• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Brimfield Walmart Police Harassment

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

propertymanager wrote:
GREAT! I'm glad that you want to meet with the Chief, andarranging the meeting in conjunction with OFCC is definitely the way to go. The leadership of OFCC is very professional and competent and know how to get positive things done!

While this was certainly a negative incident for you, it could turn into a big positive for you; the open carry community; OFCC; and the Brimfield Police if you are willing to take the next step.

To be quite honest, I was somewhat disappointed in a couple of the OFCC Members who were calling the Brimfield Police "jack-booted thugs" and the like, ESPECIALLY when the police chief went the extra mile. Having been in business for a long time, I can tell you that the boss can't always control what every employee does. The Chief had an employee that screwed up. He was not only willing to talk about it, but to alsotake positive action to correct the situation and even to work to inform other departments in Ohio about open carry. That has HUGE potential to be a big win for the gun community!

I would also encourage you to think about your holster. I think the police might have had a good suggestion there. If you're going to open carry (or concealed carry for that matter), some sort of a retention holster is a good idea.
good work - engagement is the key - we need to be seen as normal people who just happen to be open carrying - anything else sets as back.

JSlack7851

imported post

Every week someone has a encounter with LEO that really stinks. Matt's wasn't as bad as others. Matt's wife Holly, got stuck with 2 grocery carts and all the kids. She got the worst end of the ordeal.

I wonder if OC.org would care to join in talks with the Chief, he could be a powerful allie.

matthollycart

imported post

Sounds like a good plan. Although, we did Cleveland last time. What about the place where rottman was cuffed and harassed? Or did he say something about it being a ghost town there on Saturdays?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

matthollycart wrote:
I wrote to the Chief tonight to ask him if he is still interested in meeting. I don't know when I will do this though. I still have to talk to some people this weekend. I have been in touch with the people at OFCC regarding a meeting with the Chief. They have been very generous to me (the actual organization and leadership of OFCC).
Matt,

I hope you do meet with the Chief, and soon.

I have read the entire thread on OFCC, and I have to say that the Chief has gone further andfaster in addressing your incident than any other Ohio LE official I have ever seen.

I do not know the demands upon your time, nor do Iknow the totality of the encounter, but there appear to be some gaps in both your versionand the officer's version (as relayed by theChief) thatought to be bridged ASAP. Obviously, only you can make this happen. Until then, you are squandering your resources re: "the incident".

Don't waste a golden opportunity.

The Nomadd

imported post

I would call Wal-Mart corporate office. Their corporate policy is to comply with state & federal laws, I.E. if it's legal to open carry, it's okay to open carry in the store. There have been numerous posts that I've seen on various forums, to where an offending wally-world manager ended up apologizing to the open carrier and allowing them back in the store, with weapon, after being schooled by corporate. I even made a call to corporate last year, and was told the same thing, after my being stopped by the police and banned from a local mall for open carrying, after the Wal-mart manager griped to the mall management about me and several other open carriers. When I told them about the police detention and ban, they're were actually shocked that it was one of their managers that instigated, and ended up apologizing for what happened. Unfortunately since it's a Westfield Shopping center, the ban still holds.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

matthollycart wrote: [/b]I am still in the process of seeking counsel before I meet with the Chief.[/quote]
It's been a week now, Matt.

Where do things stand? Are you seeking something which you are unlikely to get, or have you given up?

I will say again -the chief (although he has also assailed your character) has gone further than any other I have seen. Add that to the fact that there is not any publicized movement on your side, and I'm curious.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Matt,

I am greatly disappointed that you have chosen not to follow up on this matter, even if you feel that it wouldn't result in the result you desire.

The act of simply holding the chief/his department's feet to the fire (IF they are at fault) is a worthy endeavor both for PR and legal purposes.

Your silence is deafening.