• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Homemade Holster Legal?

robin.kevin

imported post

Question about what holsters are legal,

I have a nylon holster that I usually use to carry, however I m wanting a thinner one and being tight on fund atm I have made one using foam sheets. I know it sounds off the wall but it worked out real good. Also thinking about adding a thumb break, which for me would more then likely mean starting over. Still working on it making it all pretty and findingany weak points. I'll post some pictures when I finally get it all finshed.

Anyhow my question is, is a handmade holster legal for ocing?

Thanks guys,

Kevin

M

McX

imported post

you ain't gonna end up looking like sponge bob wearing this are you?

Adam H

imported post

I don't know of any state that requires you to use a specific type of holster when carrying. However, while I would carry a firearms in a homemade leather or kydex holster, I wouldn't recommend carrying one in a felt holster. I don't think felt would hold up too good.

younggun20

imported post

Ive never heard of any "requirements" on holsters. I would even suggest a cheap uncle mikes, Ive had to use them in a pinch while i save up for a better one. No complaints

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I've never heard of any requirements re: hoslters, either. A gun holster is a gun holster, storebought or handmade....just that some of the handmade ones look better when done by a pro!

;)

But I AM still trying to get an answer re: flap-holsters: Are guns, if not visible therein,considered OC or CC? IIRC, some states are anal about that point.

-- John D.

Neeslycrunch

imported post

In GA a gun must be in a holster. Gun plus holster must be visible to be OC. It doesn't matter want kind of holster.

Also, particle concealment = concealed.i.e. IWB is CC.

Dreamer

imported post

Neeslycrunch wrote:
In GA a gun must be in a holster. Gun plus holster must be visible to be OC. It doesn't matter want kind of holster.

Also, particle concealment = concealed.i.e. IWB is CC.

Funny thing about what constitutes "concealed" is that is varies WILDLY from state to state.

Here in NC, IWB is NOT "concealed" as long as there is enough of the gun visible to be identified by a reasonable person as a gun.

In NC, if ANY part of the gun is exposed, and identifiable as a firearm, it is, under our law, OC.

Of course, that doesn't stop some overzealous police threatening to charge the same guy carrying IWB with BOTH carrying concealed without a permit AND GAttTotP. WTF? It's either concealed, or it's visible. You can't have it both ways under NC law...