• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is the line drawn?

ABNinfantryman

imported post

I assume most here are for unregulated possession of weapons, and while arguing this point with some colleagues it was naturally asked "What about nukes?" To which my response was of course not and when asked why not my response was simple, "because they're indiscriminate in what they kill and unless you're dropping one in the middle of the woods there is absolutely almost no way not to kill innocent by standers." This is in contrast to say a fully automatic assault rifle which I could be much more discriminate with when targeting.

Where do you think the line is drawn between legal and illegal weaponry if at all?

KYKevin

imported post

Well my idea on OC is to be able to carry a personal weapon i.e. handgun for protection. When someone brings up things like nukes and such they are just wanting to argue not debate. I would just smile at them and say when you get one let me know. I would like to see it. Then walk away. Never argue with a fool. You will only lose.

OC means to be responsible and have common sense. If they don't know where to draw the line then they may want to reconsider OC. It may not be for them. Some people you just can't debate. They have their minds made up and will not change.

Would I like to have my Sub 2000 with me if something went down? Sure. But it would draw unwanted attention and a hassle to carry around since you can't put an assault weapon in a holster. I am very comfortable with my sidearm. A Ruger P89dc. It will do the job should I ever need it. Which I pray never happens.

Besides, how do you OC a nuke? Do they even make a holster that big? IWB, OWB, Shoulder rig maybe? I got it. Ankle holster. :)

ABNinfantryman wrote:
I assume most here are for unregulated possession of weapons, and while arguing this point with some colleagues it was naturally asked "What about nukes?" To which my response was of course not and when asked why not my response was simple, "because they're indiscriminate in what they kill and unless you're dropping one in the middle of the woods there is absolutely almost no way not to kill innocent by standers." This is in contrast to say a fully automatic assault rifle which I could be much more discriminate with when targeting.

Where do you think the line is drawn between legal and illegal weaponry if at all?

ABNinfantryman

imported post

I was refering more to general ownership, but carry works too. Personally I would feel safe and confident carrying an M4 strapped to my chest because of my military training, though I wouldn't in today's climate just to avoid the cop stops and the :what:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What exactly is the objection to "keeping and bearing" strategic thermonuclear weapons?

Any collector of military arms ought to have the opportunity to complete their collection. Merely possessing them does not mean you are going to use them. The Founding Fathers believed that there was nothing to prevent a private citizen from possessing a cannon, and even today (albeit with tax stamps and other restrictions) one can still do so.

The "safety" argument always gets me to ranting and raving. If I have not gone off on a rampage with the stockpile of stuff in my safe, what makes you think I'd go off on a rampage just because now I've got a strategic thermonuclear warhead under my bed?

stay safe.

skidmark

MamaLiberty

imported post

Indeed, skidmark. It's not like the politicians and bureaucrats are somehow more trustworthy and level headed than ordinary people. You have read the "only ones" file at WaronGuns, haven't you? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Search&lr=lang_en&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Just remember who it was that used nuclear bombs against human beings. Talk about indiscriminate slaughter of innocents...

eye95

imported post

When you examine how the 2A came about, the line is apparent. At the time, the founders were trying to allow people to protect themselves, to hunt, and to band together to fight off enemies. Clearly, the arms being borne were typical to hunting and self-defense that could also, in a pinch, be use in a military situation. In the late 18th century, that typically would have been a musket. Today, it would be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun. Semi-automatic capability is reasonable. Automatic capability is understandably arguable.

Stated simply, the arms of the 2A are everyday arms that could be used by a soldier in a pinch.

I hope the person advocating nukes was being ironic. That kind of fails the everyday test.

KYKevin

imported post

I understand where you are coming from. Collecting aside I see no need for anything more than an assualt weapon. But that is just for myself. What someone else might want may be different.

I guess when it comes to drawing the line the first question to ask is.Who gets to do the line drawing and why them and if everyone will be ok with it? Without that answered first it is a moot issue as to who can have what. Ask them that next time they bring up drawing the line.

ABNinfantryman wrote:
I was refering more to general ownership, but carry works too. Personally I would feel safe and confident carrying an M4 strapped to my chest because of my military training, though I wouldn't in today's climate just to avoid the cop stops and the :what:

TehGruu

imported post

Well, the main problem with having explosives I would think would be the proper storage. How many people do you know that you feel could store explosives that would be safe for those around them even in the face of a catastrophic event, such as a fire?

-Gruu

MamaLiberty

imported post

eye95 wrote:
When you examine how the 2A came about, the line is apparent. At the time, the founders were trying to allow people to protect themselves, to hunt, and to band together to fight off enemies. Clearly, the arms being borne were typical to hunting and self-defense that could also, in a pinch, be use in a military situation. In the late 18th century, that typically would have been a musket. Today, it would be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun. Semi-automatic capability is reasonable. Automatic capability is understandably arguable.

Stated simply, the arms of the 2A are everyday arms that could be used by a soldier in a pinch.

I hope the person advocating nukes was being ironic. That kind of fails the everyday test.
You are very mistaken. The founders very much intended for "the people" to have full access to every single weapon known - ESPECIALLY those used by the "military."

Look at this: http://www.jpfo.org/alerts/alert20010801.htm
On nuclear weapons and the 'well-regulated militia' by Vin Suprynowicz
Is it appropriate for the federal government to own nuclear weapons? That is to say, has any federal official in the military chain of command -- from Harry Truman on down -- ever been put on trial for merely having control over nuclear weapons?
No.
Therefore, shall we surmise the federal government and its agents have some proper and duly delegated right, power, or authority to possess such things?
If so, where did it or they get that right, power, or authority?
Fortunately, under our system of government, we know what the answer must be: The government can acquire no right, power or authority except those which are delegated to it by the people.
Can you delegate a right, power or authority which you do not already possess?
No.
Therefore: The American people, both individually and as a group, have the right, power and authority to own nuclear weapons. No other condition can apply, unless you submit that we now live under a form of government where all rights and powers start with the GOVERNMENT MASTERS, who then bestow upon us (their peasants and slaves) only those lesser and included rights which our masters wish US to have.

eye95

imported post

When you show me that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannons, I will stand corrected.

Where does the power for the government to own nukes come from? The Constitution gives the government the authority to raise and equip an army.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

eye95 wrote:
When you show me that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannons, I will stand corrected.

Where does the power for the government to own nukes come from? The Constitution gives the government the authority to raise and equip an army.
What does it mean to you when, in the late Eighteenth Century, Captain So-and-so raised a company? Do you think that he filed a DOD-XYZ form for weapons and sat back and waited for the taxpayer to deliver? Or did he order a two-pounder from the local foundry, McDonalds?

eye95

imported post

eye95 wrote:
When you [you being the person to whom I replied, MamaLiberty] show me [not ask silly questions] that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannons, I will stand corrected.

MamaLiberty

imported post

eye95
When you [you being the person to whom I replied, MamaLiberty] show me [not ask silly questions] that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannons, I will stand corrected.

You obviously didn't read the article - or the Constitution. Your question was answered.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

We have the right to keep and bear arms to defend against threats both foreign and domestic. That means the US government. The only way to do that successfully, is with private ownership of nuclear weapons.

When someone says what about nukes? The answer is yes, we do have the right, but those rights have been infringed, just like the requirement of a permit.

BTW, the average joe lacks the knowledge and finances to own and operate a nuclear weapon. Those who do, like machine gun owners, would not use them.

eye95

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
eye95

You obviously didn't read the article - or the Constitution. Your question was answered.
That reply was not intended for you. I was pointing out to someone else that I was asking you and not him.

Anyway, I don't see anywhere in that article where it says that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannon. Did I miss it?

MamaLiberty

imported post

eye95 wrote:
That reply was not intended for you. I was pointing out to someone else that I was asking you and not him.

Anyway, I don't see anywhere in that article where it says that the Founders had no problem with people individually owning their own cannon. Did I miss it?
Are you being intentionally dense, or can I assume you didn't really read the article? The issue is not cannons. The issue is that no "government" has the authority to decide what weapons or anything else people may own or carry.

The only "authority" any government has is what is granted it by individuals. You may grant it the privilege of determining what you do and own, but you cannot authorize anyone to exercise that control over me or anyone else. Not you alone, nor 300 million of you.

eye95

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
eye95 wrote:

Are you being intentionally dense, or can I assume you didn't really read the article? The issue is not cannons. The issue is that no "government" has the authority to decide what weapons or anything else people may own or carry.

The only "authority" any government has is what is granted it by individuals. You may grant it the privilege of determining what you do and own, but you cannot authorize anyone to exercise that control over me or anyone else. Not you alone, nor 300 million of you.
Ah, the personal insult. I will endeavor to make my point one more time and then move one. I don't debate with people who make discussions personal. It is an indication that they either have no rhetorical leg to stand on or don't have the rhetorical wherewithal to rationally make their points.

If there were no line drawn, then the Founders would have had no problem with individuals owning their own personal cannon. Since you have ducked that question so deftly, I assume you cannot answer it. So, I will continue to hold the premise that when the 2A was written, the authors were referring to arms that people typically used in daily life for protection and hunting which could also be used, in a pinch, as one's personal military weapon.

Feel free to post another personal insult. I won't respond.

45acpForMe

imported post

The main threat that needs to be protected against was government. (domestic or foreign) So theoretically, citizens should be able to own anything they can afford.

Most WMD's are so expensive and complex to build, deploy, store, recycle/dispose of, that a common person couldn't afford it. Of course seeing the cost, people like George Soros and Bill Gates would be the only ones that could afford them. :-( (say goodbye republican headquarters and Apple)

Tactical nuclear weapons are a great force-multiplier for small militias!!! :)

eye95

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Seriously, though... think about it this way, is not the 2nd Amendment written to allow the citizen to protect themselves not only from the criminal but also from the government? Given that the 2nd Amendment also protects the right of the citizen to protect themselves from the government, would it not be reasonable to assume the right to arm oneself to the same level as that government would also not be protected?
No, that does not necessarily follow. Successful revolutions start with the populace less well armed than the oppressors. The key is that the populace is armed, not necessarily that they are well-armed.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
When you examine how the 2A came about, the line is apparent.  At the time, the founders were trying to allow people to protect themselves, to hunt, and to band together to fight off enemies.  Clearly, the arms being borne were typical to hunting and self-defense that could also, in a pinch, be use in a military situation.  In the late 18th century, that typically would have been a musket.  Today, it would be a rifle, a shotgun, or a handgun.  Semi-automatic capability is reasonable.  Automatic capability is understandably arguable.

Virtually every major army equips its soldiers with fully automatic weapons as standard issue. The AK47 and M16 are the equivalent of the musket. Banning them is like the founders of this country banning flint locks and only allowing people to use match locks. Even regular people in many parts of the third world commonly use their AK47 as their general purpose weapon. It is the modern rifle. The only reason it isn't common here is because they have been heavily regulated since the 1930's and banned if made after 1986. I think the assault rifle is MOST CLEARLY the type of weapon that we SHOULD have. If you were equipping the militia to fight a war, would you send them to battle with arms inferior to that of everyone else? I cannot think of a logical reason to ban fully-automatic weapons other than to make sure that the populace is not as capable at fighting.