• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions... Will be visiting soon

FedFirefighter

imported post

I live in SE Alabama, and have been OC'ing almost everyday since I found out about it's legality a month or so ago, no issues. The thing is, my wife and I will be visiting New Orleans in about a month. We have been a few times before and really enjoyed ourselves, but I was hoping to get some Real Input on OC'ing there. We pretty much stick to the French Quarter area, and I have read the laws, but the laws and the real deal are all too often two different things. Any input on OC or even CC in and out of bars, restraunts and such would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I do have a concealed permit which LA recognizes if that helps. Thanks, Scott

tntorqu

imported post

im a hard core opencarrier but i wouldnt advise carrying down in new orleans. Just keep it concealed. I dont ever go to new orleans hardly ever. But those cops will harrass you till no tomorrow.

FedFirefighter

imported post

Is it illegal to be in a bar, or drinking while concealing? Not that it would stop me, just like to be aware. I would be a little more nervous or careful about it.

turbodog

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
Is it illegal to be in a bar, or drinking while concealing? Not that it would stop me, just like to be aware. I would be a little more nervous or careful about it.
It's illegal to bring a firearm into a bar in Louisiana. CC or OC.

There is some argument with bringing one into a restaurant that serves alcohol.

General consensus, even from La. State Police, is that if you CC in a restaurant you'll be ok, but woe to you if caught with a gun in a bar or the bar area of a restaurant.

I would highly advise CC in New Orleans. As a rule, Police there are NOT friendly to citizens carrying openly.

RS 14:95.5 Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

and

RS 14:95.4 Consent to search; alcoholic beverage outlet

sraacke

imported post

Plus, there are a couple of schools in the French Quarter area which puts you within the 1000 foot zone while walking in some areas of the FQ. Just something to consider.