• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Grocery Store Wanted.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Well, I lost another grocery store today, I got brave and asked a manager for permission to OC there, and he gave me some BS about a "family environment", and so now I need a place to buy my food. Any suggestions?

It was the Krogers store on Sashabaw Rd.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Well, I lost another grocery store today, I got brave and asked a manager for permission to OC there, and he gave me some BS about a "family environment", and so now I need a place to buy my food. Any suggestions?

It was the Krogers store on Sashabaw Rd.

It's understandable in your situation why you asked permission, however, it's also another perfectly good example of why you don't ask.

What store was it you mentioned a while back ago that you would frequent that was supposed to be OC friendly and, IIRC, the manager was a friend of yours.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

dougwg wrote:
unless he gets permission which is why he's asking...

I wonder if he informs who he's asking that he got his CPL yanked.
I dunno, but I sure wouldn't, if it was me. I thought Meijers was an OC friendly place, or did that change?

lil_freak_66

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
dougwg wrote:

I dunno, but I sure wouldn't, if it was me. I thought Meijers was an OC friendly place, or did that change?
alcohol...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
dougwg wrote:

alcohol...
Yes, but if it's OC friendly, doesn't that indicate you'd have permission to OC there, from the management?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
dougwg wrote:

I dunno, but I sure wouldn't, if it was me.  I thought Meijers was an OC friendly place, or did that change?
alcohol...
Yes, but if it's OC friendly, doesn't that indicate you'd have permission to OC there, from the management? 

Just because they're not kicking you out, doesn't mean they're specifically giving you permission.

Just look at Starbucks.

malignity

imported post

Don't 'ask permission' to do something that is perfectly legal. That gives them an opportunity to say no. It's much easier to say no over the phone and 'prevent' someone from OCing than it is to approach them during the situation and ask. If they approach you and say it, then you leave, (and on the way out, they can put ALL of your groceries away that are in your cart) but personally, this is why I'd never ask permission, only because as a gun owner who is not breaking the law, I should never have to ask permission.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I get my CPL back on July 26.

The problem is indeed with the sale of alcohol. And I dont even drink.

The trouble is, that I have to ask permission, and either get it in writing, or get it on my digital voice recorder, and if I ask, of course, people will say no. Hiding behind the "children" excuse.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

^ beleive me, without a CPL, you better get permission first. In writing if possible.

lil_freak_66

imported post

since walmart has a policy to follow state law,couldnt you call corporate,or stop ina store unarmedand ask them to give you permission since the policy is to follow state law,and state law allows them to give permission?

WARCHILD

imported post

As has been stated repeatedly, walmart's latest corp. policy is to leave it up to each store manager. Therefore you need to contact the manager of each store you intend to frequent and get permission from them. Yes, preferably in writing just to CYA.

WARCHILD

imported post

Thanks Auto, awesome link. Here is a fine example of what I was explaining to a friend of mine.

Little Caesar's in Owosso....OC w/o CPL? NO!
They have a current/valid liquor license!!!!

Who would have ever guessed? I wouldn't have, they don't sell liquor.