• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Grocery Store Wanted.

WARCHILD

imported post

Exactly, that's what people are curious about. Why have a license and not sell liquor. The best I could explain it was; it may be a corporate decision for liquor license and have all locations covered whether they sell alcohol or not. Or if the decision is made to sell it later they already have a license for it.
So I tell them to check for a current/valid liquor license before carrying there w/o a cpl. Just because they don't sell alcohol, doesn't mean they don't have a license!
CYA...it's cheaper than a lawyer!

G

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Exactly, that's what people are curious about. Why have a license and not sell liquor. The best I could explain it was; it may be a corporate decision for liquor license and have all locations covered whether they sell alcohol or not. Or if the decision is made to sell it later they already have a license for it.
So I tell them to check for a current/valid liquor license before carrying there w/o a cpl. Just because they don't sell alcohol, doesn't mean they don't have a license!
Can a person without a CPL have a gun in the parking lot of a place licensed to sell alcohol?

I couldn't find that on your reference chart.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Can a person without a CPL have a gun in the parking lot of a place licensed to sell alcohol?

Nowhere on the premises, unless you have a CPL or permission.

Premises includes parking areas in this statute.

WARCHILD

imported post

No.

The only waiver to parking lots/premises, pertains to cpl holders. This info was found/discussed after I made the chart. But it does state w/o cpl, no place with a valid liquor license.

G

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
No.

The only waiver to parking lots/premises, pertains to cpl holders. This info was found/discussed after I made the chart. But it does state w/o cpl, no place with a valid liquor license.
Even if the gun is being lawfully transported?

lil_freak_66

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

i am extremely sure this gets violated hundreds of times a day.

guys w/o a cpl(leaving it in the vehicle) going into walmart or meijer for ammo or something to snack on for the day.

G

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

guys w/o a cpl(leaving it in the vehicle) going into walmart or meijer for ammo or something to snack on for the day.
Do you mean that leaving a gun in the vehicle while going into like a Walmart is unlawful?

WARCHILD

imported post

Since Lil did not specify and his post can be misleading;
No it would not as long as the gun were stored in the trunk...etc...per transportation laws which apply to non cpl holders.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

Do you mean that leaving a gun in the vehicle while going into like a Walmart is unlawful?

If the vehicle is on the premises, then the gun is on the premises, and that means, by extension, you possess the gun on the premises. Without a CPL, this is illegal.

onestar 50

imported post

I been in Miejers and Wal-Maks both here in Monroe had no problem. Of course I have a ccw but I OCed. I even been Lowes also with no problem.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Without a CPL, park next door. Thats the only safe bet. Make sure the "next door" isnt a bank, or other prohibited location. Ive seen many Krogers, and Meijers with banks in adjacent parking lots.
You mean:As long asthe pistolremains in lawful transport? This is where you're supposed to say yes. :)

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
Is it a crime even if it's being transported for lawful purposes?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Sec. 234d.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(b) A peace officer.

I didn't see that exception, did you?

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Sec. 234d.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(b) A peace officer.

I didn't see that exception, did you?
No. I didn't.
So then a non-CPL holder that is transporting a firearm in accordance with MCL 750.231a can't stop along the way to get gas at a station that is licensed to sell alcohol?

Nor can they stop at CVS to pick up their prescription?

This really puts a different spin on lawful purpose.

I have always seen it as a way to get into trouble for just stopping along the way between the specified locations. This however adds a whole different twist to it. Someone that is not aware of these additional limitations could get into a lot of trouble.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(b1...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

Excerpt:
(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:
(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.
(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.
(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.
(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.
(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Sec. 234d.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(b) A peace officer.

It wouldn't surprise me iffolks without CPL's rely on 750.231a for lawful purposes in this situation. However 750.231a is exemptions to 750.227 and not 750.234d, unfortunately.