Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo and OC?

Post imported post

Today, which I do from time to time but not real often, I wore my camo shorts I bought from Target.....along with my flip flops and a Lucky Brand Jeans t-shirt (black).

Never seemed like a big deal before. I rarely get any responses at all period. But today as soon as I walked around the corner of King St. from my parking spot a lady passes me and mumbles to her friend something about "...militia..."

Part of me feels that it would be bad to continue wearing camo for as long as the militia BS is still relevant. But the other part of me feels like that is the sort of result that they wish for and in part I feel that it is best to show them that neither guns nor camo kill. In my mind choosing not to wear camo because it provides a negative image is as silly as choosing not to carry a gun because it provides a negative image.

Thoughts?

Post imported post

I have noticed a couple of strange looks when I am wearing shorts, flip flops, and a gun. I don't think the camo shorts are relevant. If you were wearing a camo shorts, flip flops and no gun you would be considered just an average citizen.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Post imported post

Unless I'm headed into the woods, or coming from the woods, and just happen to pop into the country c-store for a drink or a snack, I NEVER OC and wear camo.

It's what the "anti's" expect. Camo wearing, gun-toting, red-necked, tea bagging, .... And while I don't deny any of that, I don't think the camo & OC projects us the way something more "presentable" does.

Today at Wally I wore a pair of black western boots, black pants, a light tan long sleeve shirt and OC'd. Not a word from anybody.

Perception is reality. When I see a hoodie, I think gangsta. The lady you ran into today saw you as "militia".

Post imported post

People tend to see what they want to see. Maybe the same lady would have called doug23838 a cowboy because of the "black western boots".

Post imported post

Forty-five wrote:
    People tend to see what they want to see. Maybe the same lady would have called doug23838 a cowboy because of the "black western boots".
    A "cowboy" ?? I could only hope.

Post imported post

If you wear these shorts, you are "militia":

If you wear these shorts, you are "redneck":

I wear the "militia" shorts when I OC. I have a redneck pair, but they are mesh shorts, so I don't wear them when I carry. I don't give a crap what other people think.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I don't think it matters
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    If you wear these shorts, you are "militia":

If you wear these shorts, you are "redneck":

I wear the "militia" shorts when I OC. I have a redneck pair, but they are mesh shorts, so I don't wear them when I carry. I don't give a crap what other people think.
    I wear the militia version. But I wondered after hearing someone say "militia" if I should be OCing with camo shorts and a black tshirt...

Post imported post

A friend of mine asked me what VCDL stood for. After explaining it, he said it sounded like a militia. After further explaining what they've done for Virginia gun rights, he sounded interested in joining the best grassroots gun org. in the nation, as he's looking at getting a handgun for CC (he surprised me with his knowledge of OC and places that serve alcohol). I gave him one of ed's VCDL member info cards.

Not bad though, there's one more college student on "our side"

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    A friend of mine asked me what VCDL stood for. After explaining it, he said it sounded like a militia. After further explaining what they've done for Virginia gun rights, he sounded interested in joining the best grassroots gun org. in the nation, as he's looking at getting a handgun for CC (he surprised me with his knowledge of OC and places that serve alcohol). I gave him one of ed's VCDL member info cards.

Not bad though, there's one more college student on "our side"
    LOL...same difference

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    ........ tea bagging, .... And while I don't deny any of that........

tea bagging? You don't deny the tea bagging?

Now I'm worried, Doug..... :shock:
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I must live in a hotbed of militias. Allot of people wear camo, men and women both, even the kids. And some even drive trucks painted up in camo.

I think they conduct maneuvers around November thru February here as well. That's when you see allot of long guns and you can here shooting back in the woods. I've even seen encampments with whole squads hanging out together.

Post imported post

I wore camo pants and my Cure shirt today and OC'ed the Glock 17. Just got tired of the ol' OC 'uniform'. (Dress shirt, black Dickies)

And as Americans, we are ALL part of a militia, the one to which the Japanese emporer referred during WWII.

Who knows, she may have been saying, 'Thank God, the Militia's here!'
    A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
    I wore camo pants and my Cure shirt today and OC'ed the Glock 17. Just got tired of the ol' OC 'uniform'. (Dress shirt, black Dickies)

And as Americans, we are ALL part of a militia, the one to which the Japanese emporer referred during WWII.

Who knows, she may have been saying, 'Thank God, the Militia's here!'
    Are you talking about the "....a rifle behind every blade of grass." statement?

I believe that was attributed to Admiral Yamamoto.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Gentlemen, if you are between the ages of 17 and 45 you are in the militia whether you know it, or like it, or not. See U.S. Code TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311 § 311.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Crap, I am 48. I guess I am officially an old fart now. Time to let all those young whipper snappers do the fighting.

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Gentlemen, if you are between the ages of 17 and 45 you are in the militia whether you know it, or like it, or not. See U.S. Code TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311 § 311.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Post imported post

xI am 50 and will fight along side all of those young whipper snappers!
    KYKevin wrote:
    Crap, I am 48. I guess I am officially an old fart now. Time to let all those young whipper snappers do the fighting.

SouthernBoy wrote:

Post imported post

Yeah, was referencing the 'behind every blade of grass' quote. So true!
    A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    Unless I'm headed into the woods, or coming from the woods, and just happen to pop into the country c-store for a drink or a snack, I NEVER OC and wear camo.

It's what the "anti's" expect. Camo wearing, gun-toting, red-necked, tea bagging, .... And while I don't deny any of that, I don't think the camo & OC projects us the way something more "presentable" does.

Today at Wally I wore a pair of black western boots, black pants, a light tan long sleeve shirt and OC'd. Not a word from anybody.

Perception is reality. When I see a hoodie, I think gangsta. The lady you ran into today saw you as "militia".
    You mean me and my friends shouldn't go out looking like this? LOL!:celebrate

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    I must live in a hotbed of militias. Allot of people wear camo, men and women both, even the kids. And some even drive trucks painted up in camo.
    It's that way here too.

The leftists are going to see us true Americansas "militia" no matter what we wear so wear what you want, screw 'em!

"You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

I only wear camo when I hunt. I see no reason to wear it anywhere else. I think those that do wear it in public are just goofy, including 'blue' camo or other colors. What happened to fashion for men? Why is the lowest common denominator the accepted standard now. Oh well because i always wear a shirt with a collar and nice shoes I automatically earn more respect.

Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

In my area there are alot of hunters, farmers, bikers,and general rednecks LOL, so camo doesn't turn heads. Between the beards, the caps, the beer bellies, the wifebeater shirts, the Harleys, rebel flags,and the pickup trucks, I don't think camo is going to make it different. Ha Ha I love PA. Southern York county is a hoot.

Banned

Post imported post

Camo is good.

Post imported post

Laff ... I have a pair of brown/black camo cargo shorts my wife bought for me at Old Navy. She generally hates me wearing such things but thought it was funny to get them there. And yeah, I have OC'd in them. I think most people recognize that they are not "real" camo but rather "fashion camo" and don't think anything about it. But then again just wearing camo shorts and not otherwise wearing anything "tacticool" I think helps.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
    xI am 50 and will fight along side all of those young whipper snappers!
    Well, I don't sport 'outdoor plumbing,' and I hit the half-century mark this year, but I'll be up high providing suppressing fire, right there with ya

BTW - I wonder how many I would have freaked out if they had seen me wearing my urban cammo Aussie hat today in the 90F heat while I worked in the garden Only I didn't have my black USMC wife beater on ... shucks, I gotta get with the dressing program

Wear what you want, the objective here is to desensitize the fraidy cats to the sight of a regular joe wearing a gun :what:
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast