• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camo and OC?

richarcm

imported post

Today, which I do from time to time but not real often, I wore my camo shorts I bought from Target.....along with my flip flops and a Lucky Brand Jeans t-shirt (black).

Never seemed like a big deal before. I rarely get any responses at all period. But today as soon as I walked around the corner of King St. from my parking spot a lady passes me and mumbles to her friend something about "...militia..."

Part of me feels that it would be bad to continue wearing camo for as long as the militia BS is still relevant. But the other part of me feels like that is the sort of result that they wish for and in part I feel that it is best to show them that neither guns nor camo kill. In my mind choosing not to wear camo because it provides a negative image is as silly as choosing not to carry a gun because it provides a negative image.

Thoughts?

tcmech

imported post

I have noticed a couple of strange looks when I am wearing shorts, flip flops, and a gun. I don't think the camo shorts are relevant. If you were wearing a camo shorts, flip flops and no gun you would be considered just an average citizen.

doug23838

imported post

Unless I'm headed into the woods, or coming from the woods, and just happen to pop into the country c-store for a drink or a snack, I NEVER OC and wear camo.

It's what the "anti's" expect. Camo wearing, gun-toting, red-necked, tea bagging, .... And while I don't deny any of that, I don't think the camo & OC projects us the way something more "presentable" does.

Today at Wally I wore a pair of black western boots, black pants, a light tan long sleeve shirt and OC'd. Not a word from anybody.

Perception is reality. When I see a hoodie, I think gangsta. The lady you ran into today saw you as "militia".

Forty-five

imported post

People tend to see what they want to see. Maybe the same lady would have called doug23838 a cowboy because of the "black western boots".

doug23838

imported post

Forty-five wrote:
People tend to see what they want to see. Maybe the same lady would have called doug23838 a cowboy because of the "black western boots".

A "cowboy" ?? I could only hope. :lol:

hunter45

imported post

If you wear these shorts, you are "militia":

camo_shorts.jpg

If you wear these shorts, you are "redneck":

51C--z%2BAWQL.jpg

I wear the "militia" shorts when I OC. I have a redneck pair, but they are mesh shorts, so I don't wear them when I carry. I don't give a crap what other people think.

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
If you wear these shorts, you are "militia":

camo_shorts.jpg

If you wear these shorts, you are "redneck":

51C--z%2BAWQL.jpg

I wear the "militia" shorts when I OC. I have a redneck pair, but they are mesh shorts, so I don't wear them when I carry. I don't give a crap what other people think.
I wear the militia version. But I wondered after hearing someone say "militia" if I should be OCing with camo shorts and a black tshirt...

nova

imported post

A friend of mine asked me what VCDL stood for. After explaining it, he said it sounded like a militia. After further explaining what they've done for Virginia gun rights, he sounded interested in joining the best grassroots gun org. in the nation, as he's looking at getting a handgun for CC (he surprised me with his knowledge of OC and places that serve alcohol). I gave him one of ed's VCDL member info cards.

Not bad though, there's one more college student on "our side" :cool:

richarcm

imported post

nova wrote:
A friend of mine asked me what VCDL stood for. After explaining it, he said it sounded like a militia. After further explaining what they've done for Virginia gun rights, he sounded interested in joining the best grassroots gun org. in the nation, as he's looking at getting a handgun for CC (he surprised me with his knowledge of OC and places that serve alcohol). I gave him one of ed's VCDL member info cards.

Not bad though, there's one more college student on "our side" :cool:
LOL...same difference

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I must live in a hotbed of militias. Allot of people wear camo, men and women both, even the kids. And some even drive trucks painted up in camo.

I think they conduct maneuvers around November thru February here as well. That's when you see allot of long guns and you can here shooting back in the woods. I've even seen encampments with whole squads hanging out together.

:uhoh:

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

I wore camo pants and my Cure shirt today and OC'ed the Glock 17. Just got tired of the ol' OC 'uniform'. (Dress shirt, black Dickies)

And as Americans, we are ALL part of a militia, the one to which the Japanese emporer referred during WWII.

Who knows, she may have been saying, 'Thank God, the Militia's here!'
;)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
I wore camo pants and my Cure shirt today and OC'ed the Glock 17. Just got tired of the ol' OC 'uniform'. (Dress shirt, black Dickies)

And as Americans, we are ALL part of a militia, the one to which the Japanese emporer referred during WWII.

Who knows, she may have been saying, 'Thank God, the Militia's here!'
;)

Are you talking about the "....a rifle behind every blade of grass." statement?

I believe that was attributed to Admiral Yamamoto.

KYKevin

imported post

Crap, I am 48. I guess I am officially an old fart now. Time to let all those young whipper snappers do the fighting. :)

SouthernBoy wrote:
Gentlemen, if you are between the ages of 17 and 45 you are in the militia whether you know it, or like it, or not. See U.S. Code TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311 § 311.

OCinColorado

imported post

xI am 50 and will fight along side all of those young whipper snappers!
KYKevin wrote:
Crap, I am 48. I guess I am officially an old fart now. Time to let all those young whipper snappers do the fighting. :)

SouthernBoy wrote:
Gentlemen, if you are between the ages of 17 and 45 you are in the militia whether you know it, or like it, or not. See U.S. Code TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311 § 311.

OCinColorado

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
Unless I'm headed into the woods, or coming from the woods, and just happen to pop into the country c-store for a drink or a snack, I NEVER OC and wear camo.

It's what the "anti's" expect. Camo wearing, gun-toting, red-necked, tea bagging, .... And while I don't deny any of that, I don't think the camo & OC projects us the way something more "presentable" does.

Today at Wally I wore a pair of black western boots, black pants, a light tan long sleeve shirt and OC'd. Not a word from anybody.

Perception is reality. When I see a hoodie, I think gangsta. The lady you ran into today saw you as "militia".
You mean me and my friends shouldn't go out looking like this? LOL!:celebrate

Huck

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I must live in a hotbed of militias. Allot of people wear camo, men and women both, even the kids. And some even drive trucks painted up in camo.

It's that way here too.

The leftists are going to see us true Americansas "militia" no matter what we wear so wear what you want, screw 'em!