• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Professional police interaction

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smith and Dan Wesson wrote:
Very often they will also lay their right hand on the trunk lid or quarter panel to leave a print, in case things go badly wrong, or the car leaves on them.
That explains how the powdered sugar got on my car. Always wondered where that came from. Thanks.

Resto Guy

imported post

I don't mind the powdered sugar so much, but the custard is hard to clean on a hot day.:)

CarryOpen

imported post

catass wrote:
Tess wrote:
Your choice.

North Carolina is a "must inform" state. If I'm going to claim to be a law-abiding gun owner, I choose to obey the law. (Or, as today, take the consequences.)
and I, sir, am a responsible gun owner :)
Just to be clear, are you advocating not informing in a must-inform situation? Seems to me that this is a fairly irresponsible act. In NC, few of us ever OC on the hip in the car, it's a little too touch and go as to whether or not it can be considered concealing. If you think you may be concealing and choose to not inform when you legally must, you are not being responsible.

fire1664man

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
May I suggest (if you are so inclined) to send an email or letter to Officer Chamber's department or CO and commend his professionalism and his respect of a private citizen with a firearm being lawfully carried.

If we're going to be so quick to jump all over LEOs who are perceived to trample rights; it's only appropriate that we be so quick to jump to commend them when they act as we have always said we want them to act. That letter may not get you out of a ticket, but it may reinforce in that officer the next time he encounters a citizen with a lawfully carried firearm to repeat his professional demeanor and continue to respect our community.

Not a sermon, just a thought.
I concur , a letter commending the officer would probably go a long way for all of us developing abetter rapport with local law enforcement. This officer seemingly did things by the book and thats all we can ask. Stinks you got a ticket but seems like everything went professionally.

ocgso

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Smith and Dan Wesson wrote:
Very often they will also lay their right hand on the trunk lid or quarter panel to leave a print, in case things go badly wrong, or the car leaves on them.
That explains how the powdered sugar got on my car. Always wondered where that came from. Thanks.

Too funny.....

We went through a traffic stop on our way to the beach not long ago. The wife was driving and informed the officer of her legally armed status. He looked at her license, made sure the registration matched the plate, and then told us to drive safely. Pleasant encounter (as it should be).

ramrunnr

imported post

Glad the stop went well!

anyamaboy wrote:
When I was in AZ last summer, they had traffic cams that were also "speed traps". If you were caught speeding, the PD would send you a ticket with a picture of the driver and the license plate.

I hope that's not what's coming to NC.

--edit--link added

http://www.abc15.com/content/traffic/cams/speedcams.aspx

If you get caught by one of the cameras, take it to court and use your constitutional right to face your accuser so you may question him/her for the validity of the claim. The case will be dropped because you cannot ask a camera questions.

CarryOpen

imported post

I don't think you have to be able to question the media equipment to "face your accuser". If someone looks at a photo or video, sees you breaking the law and presses charges for said law breaking, then they are the accuser, no the photo, video or equipment.

ramrunnr

imported post

I know several people that used that defense with the "stop light cams" and it worked for that, and a group got some removed because the were deemed unconstitutional. From my understanding, the accuser has to see the crime, be a witness. I admit that I have never tried it myself, just relaying the success of others.

CarryOpen

imported post

This would discount a lot of video evidence. I don't doubt that there are legitimate defenses to these tickets, I only doubt that the camera is your accuser. If a police officer is shot and killed during a traffic stop is the court not allowed to use the car video as evidence of the crime? There does not have to be a witness to a crime to be caught or convicted. There just has to be evidence of said crime.

REDFIVE48

imported post

Tess wrote:

I have no intention of going back to NC to fight the ticket, so I'll pay it and thus plead guilty.  I was.   So it's not a question of getting out of a ticket.  In my mind, the two concepts are not related.

I would contact a NC attorney and have them plead down the ticket. With a good driving record, you will most likely get it reduced down in speed, maybe even get it reduced to non-moving violation. Last time I got a ticket in that area, that is what saved my clean record. Cost me $100 in attorney fees, but no points was worth it!

delford

imported post

+1 Redfive48
when my son was in high school he took speeding tickets to lawyers and got his tickets reduced to 9 over or defective equipment. I would rather he not speed (and now he rarely goes more than 5 over) but the loss of his income tax refund for several years left him with no points (insurance and state) and a better driving habit.

re: OP from VA
My LEO friends where I live are 2nd amendment supporters and gun enthusiasts. They feel safer knowing the driver has a CC permit, regardless of where they're from, and appreciate the driver following the law informing them.