• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jimmy Kimmel OpenCarry's into Starbucks

hunter45

imported post

ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I can't tell who's side he is taking....?
My take is that he is taking OUR side. He states that the stores should just follow the law.. and makes a mockery of carrying to "show" how the anti's view us at our local starbucks.

I agree, it sounded like he was taking our side.

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I can't tell who's side he is taking....?
My take is that he is taking OUR side. He states that the stores should just follow the law.. and makes a mockery of carrying to "show" how the anti's view us at our local starbucks.

I agree, it sounded like he was taking our side.
Yes his opening was very cool. But then the act was very stereotypical. Almost encouraging the believe that we are going to bust into a Starbucks and point our gun at everyone.

hunter45

imported post

richarcm wrote:
]Yes his opening was very cool.  But then the act was very stereotypical.  Almost encouraging the believe that we are going to bust into a Starbucks and point our gun at everyone. 

Well it is a comedy show, so what do you expect? It would be boring if they showed someone OC into Starbucks, buy a coffee, and leave without any issues.

richarcm

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Please note that three Macromedia Locally Stored Objects are dropped off by that video. LSOs, the gift that keeps on giving.
I have no idea what you are talking about but after looking it up (and am still clueless) I guess you mean Locally Shared Objects?

Now what are they?

richarcm

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
richarcm wrote:
]Yes his opening was very cool. But then the act was very stereotypical. Almost encouraging the believe that we are going to bust into a Starbucks and point our gun at everyone.

Well it is a comedy show, so what do you expect? It would be boring if they showed someone OC into Starbucks, buy a coffee, and leave without any issues.
Well....that is true but it would have maybe been funnier had someone walked into Starbucks open carrying and a bunch of hippies started freaking out, crying and calling the police while the open carrier simply ordered a hot tea. But they chose to stereotype the open carrier instead of the anti Starbucks customer. That's why I asked....

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I find it highly offensive.

I am not amused by the implication that all gun-owners do everything by threatening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I'm not amused either - this reinforces negative stereotyped images.

That and everybody has their finger on the trigger.

This not comedy - in fact nothing about carrying a gun for self-defense is humorous.

Now the antis...............they're funny!

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

This not comedy - in fact nothing about carrying a gun for self-defense is humorous.

Yata hey
It is because it is rejectable that it is funny. Stop being so literal. If I took you so literally, we'd never exchange any banter.

Another way of looking at this is that you never see deliberate comedy from the anti-'s. They are soooooo serious, it never occurs to them to be comedic. And, if we did any comedy skits against them, the howls of anger would be deafening.

I also loved the little skit about a shop in Texas where a champagne cork pops and every patron pulls a gun and threat-checks 360-degrees.

Tomahawk

imported post

I'm trying to remember the quote I heard about excessive seriousness being a sign of immaturity.

Stop and think for a minute. To people who don't carry or even own a gun, we look kind of strange. And all they know about guns is what they get from Clint Eastwood movies, where even the good guy is always intimidating those around him. To the unarmed, life is a big pro-wrestling match where everyone trashtalks and puts on a show of fake courage andportrays a sort of caricature ofmanhood and strength.

Let's not become like the antis and other too-serious "activists" who just make themselves so uncomfortable to be around that no one invites them to dinner anymore for fear they'll make a scene and get on a soapbox.

The idea is to just roll with the jokes and move on. Fighting it only makes you an easier target for the next joke.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP Fighting it only makes you an easier target for the next joke.
Dammit, quit warning Grapeshot.:p
Not that I don't use and appreciate humor, sarcasim & Citizen; but not excessively.:D

Yata hey

XD40coyote

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Well actually, open carry could be made funny, but mainly the funnies would be the when antis enter the scene.

example of OC being funny by itself:

Some guy has 6 holstered pistols and a slung EBR rifleon him, and behind him is his horse harnessed up to a cannon, wheeling it around.

examples of antis causing the comedy:

- The crazy nutty anti who gets in your face for carrying a gun, and keeps stating over and over how scared they are. They keep asking why you have to carry a gun, and finally you have had enough and say " to protect me from possibly violent crazy people who yell in my face?" The anti then has a childlike temper tantrum on the floor and sounds like the Gollum.

-Eric Cartman or Bart Simpson breaks into the shed the antis are using to store their protest signs and banners, and changes them so they say things like " criminals for gun control", " "we approve of rape", and so on. The next morning, the antis get their signs and bannersand begin their protest, and don't even notice that the signs have been changed.

-An OCer is in a Starbucks, and some antis come in and start saying snide things, including " why does that guy think he needs a gun in here?". The OCer ignores them and then finishes up and leaves. The antis sit down and shortly after a former employee of the store who was fired for having a bad temper, comes in for revenge. He shoots the manager then runs out. Next a gangbanger runs in and robs the place at gunpoint.Next, some nutjob with a knife comes in and starts stabbing people. He runs out and lets a crazed pitbull in. The pitbull starts biting people and runs around with someone's arm. Finally the police show up. As they open the door, a rabid raccoon runs in and bites someone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member