• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Wisconsin/sounds like alot of hassles?

revolverrandy

imported post

From doing a short bit of reading it kind of sounds like alot of people and areas in Wisconsin are not very friendly and open minded with open carry in Wisconsin.I have not open carried so far,but am considering doing so.I live in S.E. Wi. So if I do so should I expect alot of not so warm responses from police and people in general?For those who open carry in Wisconsin,you do so with a loaded weapon?As long as I follow the open carry law and don't carry near a school,govt bldg,in a vehicle,etc,I,a law abiding citizen,should be able to carry a loaded handgun ,holstered ,in open view with no criminal record whatsoever,,in Wisconsin,without trouble?

M

McX

imported post

nothing is ever easy; that is why so many of us work so hard, and dance the dances on school zones, vehicle carry, and so on. so that we can demonstrate that we are abiding the laws, and exercising our rights, and pose a threat to no one. we do all this so that someday it may be easier.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WELCOME!

Other than the five(5) places (Vehicle, Tavern, Government Building, State Park, School Zones) you will be fine.

It is the anti's that want you to believe you will be hassled.

Every once in a while somebody runs into an issue, but there are hundreds of people who carry regularly (as in every where they go every day) and they are never hassled.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and...

Carry On

hunter9mm

imported post

revolverrandy wrote:
From doing a short bit of reading it kind of sounds like alot of people and areas in Wisconsin are not very friendly and open minded with open carry in Wisconsin.I have not open carried so far,but am considering doing so.I live in S.E. Wi. So if I do so should I expect alot of not so warm responses from police and people in general?For those who open carry in Wisconsin,you do so with a loaded weapon?As long as I follow the open carry law and don't carry near a school,govt bldg,in a vehicle,etc,I,a law abiding citizen,should be able to carry a loaded handgun ,holstered ,in open view with no criminal record whatsoever,,in Wisconsin,without trouble?
First of all Welcome to the forum.

There is a vast knowledge base here within the members on this forum, keep reading as it should take you many, many hours to gain enough knowledge to find enough information to help ease your mind about the laws and limitationsof the current OC regulations.

OC can be a hassle and is not for everyone. When, where, and how to carry are important issues to be considered.

In this world of "Unknowns", personal self defense is a decision not to be taken lightly.

Personal attacks, rape, and murders are in every headline of every paper and the "Lead" stories on the news almost every night and aretheresult of not protecting yourself.

I personally do not want to become a "Statistic" of this type of crime so I OC as necessary.

johnny amish

imported post

Everytime someone is seen opencarrying it is a step towards becoming a more oc friendly state. You never know the influence you could have on someone to do the same. Most people will react with curiosity rather than fear. I have had the chance to talk to alot people and answer their questions just because I was ocing. You have to remember that you are not the criminal. You are taking responsibility for your safety and the safety of the people around you, that is something to be proud of. If its your first time its not a bad idea to take a friend with you. Enjoy the day, you'll be glad you did it. Carry on my friend.

protias

imported post

I can count three times when people were scared/nervous of me. One time when I went into Blockbuster where I used to work to catch up with my old boss. Another time a lady with her kids while I was unholstering. And lastly, 3 state troopers who thought it was okay to get the information they wanted out of a business to kick me out. Unfortunately I had no option in the last one as we can't carry in our vehicles. Other than that, few people have even noticed I carry.

hardballer

imported post

johnny amish wrote:
Everytime someone is seen opencarrying it is a step towards becoming a more oc friendly state. You never know the influence you could have on someone to do the same. Most people will react with curiosity rather than fear. I have had the chance to talk to alot people and answer their questions just because I was ocing. You have to remember that you are not the criminal. You are taking responsibility for your safety and the safety of the people around you, that is something to be proud of. If its your first time its not a bad idea to take a friend with you. Enjoy the day, you'll be glad you did it. Carry on my friend. 

To right you are Johnny Amish. Why just tonight as luck would have it, while shopping at Kwik Trip, I was at the counter checking out. I had more than a few items to purchase and a DVD to rent.

The line was building behind me and I really did not notice a family of four and others behind them, 'till a little girl, perhaps ten, looks up at me and gets that look on her face that says "I have a question", so she asks me; "Hey Mister, Can I ask you a question?" "Sure you can." Says I. She asks, "Why do you have a gun? are you a policeman?" I responded, "Nope I'm not a policeman" She, being persistent as little people can be, asks again, "Then why do you have it?" I say, "To protect myself, my family and my friends."

Her younger brother pipes up, "Are you going to shoot someone?" I responded, "Nope, I sure hope not. It's just in case bad guys show up." Then I looked at mom and dad and said, "I carry for sefldefense, the defense of innocents, and because it is my right according to the state Constitution and the Constitution of the USA." "A right not exercised is a right lost."

The counter person says, "You've been coming in here since I've worked here (several years in fact) and I've never noticed your gun." I said, "Yup, it is usually the kids who notice "'cause they're at eye level with it." The folks smiled and went about their conversation, The kids smiled and seemed OK with my explanation, The counter person smiled and told me to have a great day.

WOW! Not once did my gun clear leather or get waved about or was it fired into the ceiling. I bought my milk, bananas, half & half, rented my DVD and went about my businness. All in a good days carry.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum! I suggest that you join Wisconsin Carry at http://www.wisconsincarry.org . The organization is great and growing rapidly and I am sure you would enjoy their company!:lol:

I live in S.E. Wisconsin and open carry daily. Not many people seem to notice in the stores and if they do no big deal. Every once in a while someone will see my gun while walking my dogs and ask me about it. So far all interactions with my neighbors have been great with one exception; That guy is an old dude from Poland who probably shouldn't be living in the U.S. to start with. :exclaim:

To answer your question about loaded or not....I carry loaded. It won't do me much good if it isn't loaded (and chambered). The slide spring on my gun is extremely strong (or I am really getting old!) and is difficult for me to "rack the slide" so I carry it chambered and ready to go. If I had to rack the slide quickly in an encounter I think I would be killed or seriously hurt before I could do so especially if I am walking my dogs (one leash in each hand).

If you are in the Kenosha area and would like to have company for open carry I would be happy to oblige.

Carry on!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

All I got to add is please do not be ashamed or scaredto exercise your rights, carrying a loaded firearm on your hip is legal as long as the rules are followed.
if youchoose to not exercise your 2A rightsfor fear of harassment, it shows the liberals have won! Please do not let them win.

revolverrandy

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! I suggest that you join Wisconsin Carry at http://www.wisconsincarry.org . The organization is great and growing rapidly and I am sure you would enjoy their company!:lol:

I live in S.E. Wisconsin and open carry daily. Not many people seem to notice in the stores and if they do no big deal. Every once in a while someone will see my gun while walking my dogs and ask me about it. So far all interactions with my neighbors have been great with one exception; That guy is an old dude from Poland who probably shouldn't be living in the U.S. to start with. :exclaim:

To answer your question about loaded or not....I carry loaded. It won't do me much good if it isn't loaded (and chambered). The slide spring on my gun is extremely strong (or I am really getting old!) and is difficult for me to "rack the slide" so I carry it chambered and ready to go. If I had to rack the slide quickly in an encounter I think I would be killed or seriously hurt before I could do so especially if I am walking my dogs (one leash in each hand).

If you are in the Kenosha area and would like to have company for open carry I would be happy to oblige.

Carry on!

Thanks for the helpful info and offer.I definatley want to do this and just want to be real sure i have all the facts before doing so.I just want to be legal and have no trouble with the law or get myself in legal trouble due to me not knowing enough.It weird that I never once have noticed anyone in Wi carrying.I think its something I want to do.I want to do it responsibly.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum...

We have all been in the place you are know... worried, scared, fearful of the unknown, etc.... it's something different that has been burned into our brains as taboo, but have no fear, you are doing the right thing! You are head learning and asking questions, I think you are going to be just fine!

I can remember the first time I open carried, I was nervous that is for sure. Now I don't even think twice about it, it's everyday life. I gets easier everyday.

:cool:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

revolverrandy wrote:
No where does it say anyone with a misdemeanor can notbe in possession of a firearm.
Only one who is a convicted felon who has not received a pardon can not be in possession of a firearm.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I am still a bit uncomfortable when I carry. Mostly because my wife does not support open carry. I carry open at home, and on my property. Thatmay get you more accustomed to having a sidearm hanging there.

When my wife is with me, I dont. When alone I do.

AaronS

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I am still a bit uncomfortable when I carry. Mostly because my wife does not support open carry. I carry open at home, and on my property. Thatmay get you more accustomed to having a sidearm hanging there.

I think it is a good idea to start with open carry at home. It also helped get my wife ready to the public open carry that was to come (at first she would not even go outside with me). The first few weeks I started, I was hitting my gun on every corner I turned. The bathroom takes a bit of thought. Some chairs are also a little bit of a problem. For me the next step was the dog walk. Then after a few weeks of walking the dog, I started to go to the store. I guess I had to "grow balls" step by step. Now the only time I ever feel strange about it is when I am at my car and a lot of people are around. The whole load/unload, and case thing bugs me... I have never had any problem as of yet though...

Oh, my wife still does not "like" it much, but has learned to "live" with it. I would love to see her carry some day, but I guess I have to just keep working on her...

hardballer

imported post

I am fortunate enough to have the support of my wife in the regard of open carry. Why? because we have actually had to deal with goblins bent on misdeeds, more than once in our lives.

Further, she has eyes and ears, she can see where we are headed in this country. Things are not well with the Republic folks and just because the BGs haven't made themselves personally known to you yet does not mean you will be immune.

Even with my wife's support, I still mention every time I see or hear of a break-in or car jacking etc. She appreciates knowing and it reinforces her belief that open carry is the right thing to do.

In my experience, women are very security conscious and require re-enforcement of their beliefs. I am happy to help. I do not want to be a victim nor does she. Her fear of guns must be trumped by her fear of goblins and BGs in order for her to be comfortable with one's decision to open carry.

Just MHO.

hunter9mm

imported post

AaronS wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:

I think it is a good idea to start with open carry at home. It also helped get my wife ready to the public open carry that was to come (at first she would not even go outside with me). The first few weeks I started, I was hitting my gun on every corner I turned. The bathroom takes a bit of thought. Some chairs are also a little bit of a problem. For me the next step was the dog walk. Then after a few weeks of walking the dog, I started to go to the store. I guess I had to "grow balls" step by step. Now the only time I ever feel strange about it is when I am at my car and a lot of people are around. The whole load/unload, and case thing bugs me... I have never had any problem as of yet though...

Oh, my wife still does not "like" it much, but has learned to "live" with it. I would love to see her carry some day, but I guess I have to just keep working on her...
Aaron... I feel that... I have the exact same thing with the wife here!

M

McX

imported post

well, if you want to get your sea legs, come by the shop, and you can practice. me i find a valid reason every day. got to the shop this am, no sooner than i holster up, and open the bay doors, and some guy comes flying out from between the buildings, and hauls ass down the street on a bike. yep, it was a beautiful open carry day!

hardballer

imported post

McX wrote:
well, if you want to get your sea legs, come by the shop, and you can practice. me i find a valid reason every day. got to the shop this am, no sooner than i holster up, and open the bay doors, and some guy comes flying out from between the buildings, and hauls ass down the street on a bike. yep, it was a beautiful open carry day!

There ya go. . .