• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Your Weapon

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I always use a holster, but is it necessary? When you open carry, is it required (by law) to have a holster?

We've all seen it... the "gangster" way to open carry. Pistol behind the belt buckle or on your back. Look at the pictures and see what I am talking about.

Is it legal to open carry like this?

eye95

imported post

Excellent question. I don't know.

However, I'd recommend against this. Your belt is missing an important safety factor. It is not protecting the trigger against something accidentally snagging on it.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
or like this
Interesting thing about that second picture: The way the colors came out on the gun, it almost looks like a tattoo! That would be a great tattoo.

eye95

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
LOL It actually is a tattoo. I could not find a picture with a real gun so I used it. That's funny! :celebrate
:cuss:I owe you one, man.

Anyway the tattoo is only slightly less dangerous than carrying that way. Someone sees that tattoo and thinks it's real, watch out!

Seriously, though, legal or not, I think someone who carries that way is being foolish.

groovedrummer

imported post

Why? why? why?

Who cares if its legal or illegal...one thing is for sure, its stupid.

I cannot even imagine a situation where it lend an advantage over a holster.

If your looking to open carry then it doesn't really matter weather or not its inside the waist band.

so just get an outside the waist band holster.

If money is an issue then you should just be patient and save up for a holster because carrying like that is only going to cause problems...the list of reasons to NOT carry like that is far to long.

There are holsters out there that cost less than the defense grade ammo in the gun.

KYKevin

imported post

Yeah holsters are cheap. I just bought one for $16.00 and it is a good holster. KNJ COWMTB 16. It may not be leather but it is a nice and try to get it off mt belt. Dang practically gotta drop my pants. So you not gonna lose it. lol

ItTakesAWolf wrote:
Why? why? why?

Who cares if its legal or illegal...one thing is for sure, its stupid.

I cannot even imagine a situation where it lend an advantage over a holster.

If your looking to open carry then it doesn't really matter weather or not its inside the waist band.

so just get an outside the waist band holster.

If money is an issue then you should just be patient and save up for a holster because carrying like that is only going to cause problems...the list of reasons to NOT carry like that is far to long.

There are holsters out there that cost less than the defense grade ammo in the gun.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

If you are serious about OC'ing and do not wish to be harassed or arrested by LEO, I would strongly advise that you do not go "gangsta" for this. EVER.

I've spoken with many LEO's about OC. Even those that admitted they did not know the law stated that if it's someone who looks like an average joe, even not knowing the legalities of it, they would not bother them if it's holstered and they don't look "gangsta" like you're showing in the pictures.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dumb, no retention, no trigger guard.

And this website is about 'properly holstered handguns in daily life', there are plenty of other websites that you can pose dumb hypotheticals like this too.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.

eye95

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Dumb, no retention, no trigger guard.

And this website is about 'properly holstered handguns in daily life', there are plenty of other websites that you can pose dumb hypotheticals like this too.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.
+1 for the bolded part.

The OP did not pose a dumb hypothetical. He asked a question about the law regarding OC. Yours was an undue characterization.

I agree that carrying w/o a holster is a stupid thing to do.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Actually, come to think about it, I believe that one or two of the supreme court rulings referenced in the tri-fold actually do state the weapons were "holstered" or in a "scabbard" or what have you. Definitely something to consider.

Good question though, even though not advisable.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I don't carry like that. I have a Mold Injection Fobus Paddle Holster. I was just curious about the legality of it because I've actually seen people carry that way. I don't know if they were legally allowed to have the weapon but I was curious if it was legal.

paramedic70002

imported post

Ah, the Mexican carry, AKA Magnum carry. I used to do this when I first started arming myself, because I didn't know any better. It worked OK but a couple times I had to fish the gun out of a pant leg or the back of my underwear. Lots of adjustment activity too.

To answer your question: I don't recall seeing any laws that mentioned a holster. Alert the Bradys. I'm sure they'll have some for us soon. Anything to complicate a right or cost us money or aggravation is a plus for them.