• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster Your Weapon

ecocks

imported post

Didn''t some other thread in the last couple of days mention that there is a sheriff who construes their CCW law's phrasing,"concealed or partially concealed", as allowing OC since the holster partially concealed the firearm?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

ecocks wrote:
Didn't some other thread in the last couple of days mention that there is a sheriff who construes their CCW law's phrasing,"concealed or partially concealed", as allowing OC since the holster partially concealed the firearm?
I do not want to get into this type of debate. Neither should any of you. These type of "half and half" argumentsarehow anti-gun activists make thier arguments. They see a subject and "read between the lines". (Sorry, if I wasn't SO intoxicated I would have a MUCH better... um... reply to this. I'll swing back in the A.M. and finich this....)

ecocks

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
ecocks wrote:
Didn't some other thread in the last couple of days mention that there is a sheriff who construes their CCW law's phrasing,"concealed or partially concealed", as allowing OC since the holster partially concealed the firearm?
I do not want to get into this type of debate. Neither should any of you. These type of "half and half" argumentsarehow anti-gun activists make thier arguments. They see a subject and "read between the lines". (Sorry, if I wasn't SO intoxicated I would have a MUCH better... um... reply to this. I'll swing back in the A.M. and finich this....)

Odd, it was your question.

Wherever that Sheriff is would seem to be one answer that it would be an illegal carry in his jurisdiction while a holstered carry would meet his criteria.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I always use a holster, but is it necessary? When you open carry, is it required (by law) to have a holster?

We've all seen it... the "gangster" way to open carry. Pistol behind the belt buckle or on your back. Look at the pictures and see what I am talking about.

Is it legal to open carry like this?
I'm of the "why would you want to?" camp, legal or not. For $10 you can buy a cheap holster that covers your trigger and allows you to carry in either of the sample pic methods.

My first carry holster while I decided what I really wanted, given that I had to CC a lot too due to local ordinance, was a cheapy $10 Bulldog nylon "band" holster about 4" wide with a metal clip that can be used on either side of the holster so I could carry either IWB or OWB. OWB it was floppy until I figured out to put the holster between my waistband and belt which makes the belt a significant part of the support.

It isn't a great holster and has no retention BUT it covers the trigger, gave versatility (used it to try IWB, OWB, SOB, etc) and served its purpose while I figured out how I wanted to carry. I still use it every once in a while for specific carry needs.

cscitney87

imported post

Anyone ever see the pistol in the back pocket? where the wallet is. I've seen that- a short; from the car to the gas station and back. No holster; just put it in and walked.

Flyer22

imported post

Even when a gun is carried without a holster in such a way that it's safe from falling or moving around, if it's in view, you still need to be aware of the lack of retention.

One of the big advantages of a regular holster is that even if somebody wanted to steal the gun, they couldn't simply grab it. The holster forces them to do at least one thing before it's physically possible to "liberate" the gun.

Personally, about the only way that I would ever consider carrying without a holster is by firmly sticking it inside the top ofa boot.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

marshaul wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Google "eye95, accident" for 5,090 hits.
Another useless, moronic drive-by comment.
Somebody missed the point!
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant!

I really tried to rhyme Google and library, you can find anything you want in Google's Library...but it doesn't scan. Finding agreement among a Google-plex of net monkeys is proof or evidence of nothing.

eye95

imported post

marshaul wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Google "eye95, accident" for 5,090 hits.
Another useless, moronic drive-by comment.
Somebody missed the point!
The point is that someone is following me (and a few others) around and behaving like a jerk. I really wish the site owners would do something about him.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To be fair to Doug, have you seen his total post count?

It's hard to avoid some of the more avid posters here. That doesn't mean any of them are following anybody else around.

Doug is also not a troll. He's been around here for years and is firmly pro-OC.

Well, that's my opinion.

M

McX

imported post

i saw like a leather loop once, it was pretty sturdy, not much more than the belt in width, and seemed to be holding it in place, but i've never seen one since. that one intrigued me.

khicks

imported post

not sure about all states, but here in Michigan, there has been some court cases that having your hand gun in your belt as shown by hallow point38, would not be called open Carry, but concealed carry and you better have a permit to carry that way

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

khicks wrote:
not sure about all states, but here in Michigan, there has been some court cases that having your hand gun in your belt as shown by hallow point38, would not be called open Carry, but concealed carry and you better have a permit to carry that way
Even if it was in the open? How did they manage that on? Shouldn't open carry be just that?

eye95

imported post

marshaul wrote:
To be fair to Doug, have you seen his total post count?

It's hard to avoid some of the more avid posters here. That doesn't mean any of them are following anybody else around.

Doug is also not a troll. He's been around here for years and is firmly pro-OC.

Well, that's my opinion.
The mods have felt the need to delete a few of his posts to me.

I don't care what his post count is. Frankly he runs it up with useless drive-bys like the one here. As far as I am concerned he acts like a jerk--and clearly I am not the only person who thinks that.

Again, I hope the owners take note of his behavior and do something about it.