• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shopping for a good holster and have ? about paddle holsters

Mo

Banned
imported post

I did try searching, but was not able to find any info so I'm not starting a redundant thread here.

I've been looking around for a decent holster for a .38 with a 2" barrel. I've seen many of the paddle style holsters and like the fact that you can easily attach or remove the holster without having to deal with belt loops. My only thought was how well they stay in place with a lightweight small revolver...

Any thoughts?? Thanks!! :)

jeeper1

imported post

The Serpa stays where you want it to. In the picture you can see a hook that holds the holster so it does not come off accidentally.
holster.jpg

DEFENSOR

imported post

I have a Serpa for my full frame Glock. I really like everything about it. Not only does it have that lower hook inside the pants but also two hooks that secure the holster to the bottom edge of the belt and are adjustable for different width belts. I would consider this belt virtually impossible for an attacker to remove.

Good luck, Defensor

Mo

Banned
imported post

Thanks for your help! Both the Serpa and the Fobus look like good products. The belt hook on the Serpa is a nice feature.

I'm not new to guns, just new to carrying. One of my biggest fears is it accidentally getting detatched and landing on the floor in a public place... :uhoh: I had a dream that it happened....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not all paddles are created equal. I really like my Blackhawk paddle as the hooks keep it in place and now after several years I know how to remove it when I need to as well without taking off my belt or undoing my pants. I have tried other paddles that did not stay in place as well either sliding around on my waistband more than I like or not staying in place so well for a draw.

4angrybadgers

imported post

I'll 3rd the recommendation for a Serpa. I use the paddle and I have to struggle to take it off even when I want to. Make sure you have a sturdy, wide belt to hold everything up - I (and many others) will attest that it makes a huge difference in holster stability and comfort.

younggun20

imported post

I use paddle holsters with my g22 my g23 and my xd .45, I love them. I use a Safariland thumb break and a fobus.

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

Serpa CQC holsters are great but I have heard of more than once while drawing the weapon the triggar has been pulled by the locking mechanism causing an A/D. I personally know a person that this has happened to and he shot himself in the calf... Now this is only a problems with Glock Handguns from the research I have done concerning this. I have a RSR Defense holster made by and for the Israli special forces. I cut the bottom of holster due to extended length of holster. I have a G30 and the holster fits G20,21,29,30,and 38. I dremel cut about 1 1/2 inches from the bottum up whrich leave about a quater inch to the lock on the front triggar gueard. Took it to range with holster off belt and weapon ready to fire. Pointing doenrange I held holster in left hand and pushed the retension /release weapon button and with drew weapon about 100 times and not one AD due to lock catching triggar so I am cinfident it will not be an issue...If you are getting one for a revolver i do not see anyproblems. Just remember that a number of trainers have outlawed these holsters in there training classes for safety issues...I just wanted to let you know the whole truth of the holster.....Glock30 picture below before cuttting length....

Eeyore

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
I'll 3rd the recommendation for a Serpa. I use the paddle and I have to struggle to take it off even when I want to. Make sure you have a sturdy, wide belt to hold everything up - I (and many others) will attest that it makes a huge difference in holster stability and comfort.
What he said. The aforementioned hooks are adjustable (up/down) to ensure they engage the bottom of your belt. Once you get them dialed in, you have to flex, wiggle, and pry that holster off.

4angrybadgers

imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
Serpa CQC holsters are great but I have heard of more than once while drawing the weapon the triggar has been pulled by the locking mechanism causing an A/D. I personally know a person that this has happened to and he shot himself in the calf... Now this is only a problems with Glock Handguns from the research I have done concerning this.
I can't see how that can happen. The Serpa's "lock" engages the front of the trigger guard, so as you draw the weapon the lock never crosses over the trigger. If your acquaintance did indeed shoot himself while drawing, it had to have been a finger in the trigger guard or some other kind of ND.

And why would it just be an issue with Glocks? What about other weapons that don't have external safeties (or an integral one like my XD's grip safety)?

If you're going to make claims about safety issues, it's a good idea to provide links to reports about such issues. Unsubstantiated rumors are worse than useless.

curtiswr

imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
Serpa CQC holsters are great but I have heard of more than once while drawing the weapon the triggar has been pulled by the locking mechanism causing an A/D. I personally know a person that this has happened to and he shot himself in the calf... Now this is only a problems with Glock Handguns from the research I have done concerning this. I have a RSR Defense holster made by and for the Israli special forces. I cut the bottom of holster due to extended length of holster. I have a G30 and the holster fits G20,21,29,30,and 38. I dremel cut about 1 1/2 inches from the bottum up whrich leave about a quater inch to the lock on the front triggar gueard. Took it to range with holster off belt and weapon ready to fire. Pointing doenrange I held holster in left hand and pushed the retension /release weapon button and with drew weapon about 100 times and not one AD due to lock catching triggar so I am cinfident it will not be an issue...If you are getting one for a revolver i do not see anyproblems. Just remember that a number of trainers have outlawed these holsters in there training classes for safety issues...I just wanted to let you know the whole truth of the holster.....Glock30 picture below before cuttting length....

People that shoot themselves while drawing from a Serpa or similar holsters are drawing incorrectly. They are curling/hooking their finger and pushing the lock release in, thus allowing their finger to fall curled/hook onto the trigger and BANG. Operating properly requires sliding an extended finger over the lock briefly and fast and keeping the finger extended during the draw so that it aligns alongside the gun, either on the frame or the slide... not inside the trigger guard.

As well: Blackhawk now offers a Serpa made for the length of the Glock 30/29 so no modification to one made for the 21/20 is needed. I couldn't find mine in stores, but it is on their website and that's where I ordered from.

IMG_5077.jpg

Dreamer

imported post

Every OWB holster I own is a paddle holster. I have 2 Serpa CWCs, a Galco PaddleLite, and a Bianchi 59 Special Agent, and they are all nice, secure holsters.

My Serpas came with belt slots, but I never use them. In fact, when I installed the paddles, I put a drop of LokTite on each screw so they would be SUPER secure.

One thing I especially like about paddles is that you can sort of adjust the cant on your belt (for comfort) when you are in your car wearing a seat belt, but it still remains secure.

Another nice thing about paddles is when I need to go somewhere that I can't carry, and need to lock up my pistol in the car, I can just take the whole rig off (holster and firearm) and put it in the safe--no drawing of the firearm, no worries about someone in a parking lot seeing me handling an unholstered firearm, no worries. Then when I get back in my car, I can just slip the whole rig back on my belt, without having to undo my belt.

Not all paddles are created equal, but the major brands (Safariland, Bianchi, Serpa, Galco) are all pretty secure and strong. I think the Serpa is the most clever combination of secure and yet easy to get on and off (if you know the trick). AND the hooks on the Serpa paddle are adjustable, so you can adjust them to fit belts of different widths.

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

I apologize for not putting any quotes or links on what I said, I am not bashing blackhawk, I cannot remember where I read about it, but my friend will attest to it...I know that it was something in earlier models...I by far am not a trainer nor expert but I understand where your coming from. It was something to with the lock being held in while drawing (a rookie mistake) would catch the triggar... I will try and look for the article to add to this, I do not beleive that it a manufacters issue thought. Just an FYI cause any information concerning firearm safety is knowledge cause have you read your local paper lately... Almost everyday in Tampa there is an article about a firearm incident wether it be intentional or A/D due to owner stupidity.Next time I will be sure to post links so I am not judged here, Like I would make up a story like I posted.....I have 18+ yrs handling and shooting just about everything a civilian can shoot, including a barett 50 cal with AP munitions. BE SAFE WAS THE POINT, THAT IS WHAT I WAS GETTING AT. I love our freedom and rights and hate to see anyone get hurt because they did not know something has or could happen........G30

Damiansar-15

imported post

I suggest staying away from the retention holsters, since they often require additional training and/or fine motor skills to operate and can take awhile to become comfortable using. My Brother is in law enforcement and he is required to wear a retention holster and actually prefers having one for his piece of mind. For me, I just buy a properly molded/fitted kydex holster by one of the top makers, e.g. comp-tac, blade-tech, etc... they provide the proper retention, while also allowing a quick draw. A well fitted kydex holster will also keep your gun's finish lasting a long time, which is a draw-back of using production holsters, e.g. Serpa, fobus, etc...which tend to wear out finishes faster...Also, stay away from the copy-cat, plastic taco makers, e.g. Cross-dressing/breed holsters... Saving a couple bucks by using inferior holsters will only come back to haunt you...

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

I agree with you on blade-tech, they make an outstanding holster that does provide a lock so to speak with not having a release button, I forget th name of my friends but it is lightweight and easy draw. I only carry owb retention in winter so clothing will hide the stuck out holster as they are designed for LEOS and OCing. Leather or kydex IWB at 3;30 90% of the year. OWB at range to keep different weapons away from the others and no mag mix ups........BE SAFE, G30

Mo

Banned
imported post

I checked into several brands and ended up going with the Galco. I was able to stretch the holster without problems and it just fits in there like a glove.

I need to get a thicker and wider belt for it to stay properly. Even though it's an ultra-lite.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Check out FOBUS. You get free shipping. I have no problem with movement with my FOBUS holster and it is pretty comfortable.