• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz interviewed

kchau

imported post

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-gun-controversy/story?id=10270193

Exclusive: Starbucks CEO Says Guns at Odds with Vision for Company Howard Schultz Sounds Off on Allowing Patrons to Carry Handguns at Coffee Chain By TERRY MORAN and CHARLES HERMAN April 2, 2010—

Starbucks has become the latest battleground in a fight over whether gun owners should be allowed to carry handguns openly in public.
"We woke up one day and all the sudden Starbucks was in the middle of this political crossfire between the people who want to bring a gun into Starbucks and the people who want to prevent it," said Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz. "It is a very difficult, fragile situation. We're trying to abide by the law."
In an exclusive interview to air on "Nightline" tonight, Schultz admitted guns in Starbucks are at odds with his vision of what the company should be. But the Fortune 500 CEO said: "I'm not a politician. I run a coffee company and we're trying to abide by the laws in which we do business."
Watch the exclusive interview on "Nightline" tonight at 11:35 p.m. ET
Last month, gun advocates held "open carry" meetups at Starbucks stores in the San Francisco Bay Area, where they carried handguns in plain sight. The coffee giant said it would allow the guns at stores as long as it's permitted by state law -- a decision which has enraged gun control advocates.
Starbucks has tried to walk a fine line between both groups -- hoping to stay out of the fray on the divisive issue while continuing to serve up the lattes and cappuccinos that made the company into the world's largest coffee chain.
Schultz, 56, is the man who built Starbucks into a coffee empire and made Starbucks brew a part of America's national culture.
After an eight-year hiatus, he returned as the company's chairman in January 2008 when the Seattle-based coffee roaster was reeling. With the economy tanking, a $4 latte seemed like a crazy indulgence for most cash-strapped Americans.
To meet the battle brewing over coffee, Schultz quickly announced a series of initiatives to refocus Starbucks on how it all started: a cup of coffee. He sought to reinvent brewed coffee, introducing a new blend of coffee called Pike Place Roast.
The chain also slashed a half-billion dollars in costs -- closing stores, laying off thousands, cutting back-office waste -- and has posted record earnings.
"I think people some people underestimated the resiliency of the brand, the emotional connection that we have to our customers," Schultz said. "Our customers wanted us to win, they wanted us to succeed because of the importance that the physical environment of the store was in their life and also with 10 percent unemployment ... our stores became a very important resource for people, a place to go, a place to have a meeting, a place to do their work, a place not to be depressed."

Starbucks Spends More on Health Care Than Coffee The coffee chain has bounced back from its dip in sales. Now, the single biggest expense for Starbucks is not coffee beans, Schultz said, but health care costs, which total $300 million a year.
Starbucks has always prided itself on providing health care coverage to employees, including part-time employees who work as little as 20 hours a week.
During the financial crisis, when analysts told Schultz he had the perfect cover to drop employees' health care benefits, he couldn't. "This cut at the cloth of everything we've stood for 39 years," Schultz said.
Though premiums were raised, the company still offers the health care package.
"We had meetings with different Starbucks people at different levels of the company, open discussions and I said to them very openly and honestly, 'I'm not going to cut the health care benefit on any level, but I need more participation from our employees, what do you think is fair?'" Schultz said. "And collectively, we made this decision based on a consensus of what we could ask our people to do and our people, almost 100 percent, thank us. We explained it very openly with transparency, we have to ask for a little bit of participation, it wasn't a big number but we are keeping the benefit."
With President Obama's health care bill now the law of the land, Schultz said the changes will be a wash for Starbucks, since it already provides health insurance to employees, but will likely benefit in the long term.
"I've always believed that there was a cost shift in the system that as a result of the uninsured people who are doing the right thing like Starbucks and there are many other companies were paying more as a result of those people having to go into emergency. So I think over time that will be a benefit to the overall cost structure."
Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

PolskiG

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Only thing that could havemade it better, would have been him saying there are far more gun owners who buy coffee than protesters.
You never know. He might have said that but it could have been edited out and never made it to air.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Only thing that could have made it better, would have been him saying there are far more gun owners who buy coffee than protesters.
He doesn't have to say this.

Notice that these skits about guns in Starbucks (Colbert, Kimmel) have incorporated genuine Starbucks locations and employees.

The company is clearly getting in on the laughs. Now, why would they do that?

There is ONLY one reasonable answer (Starbucks is in the business of making money, remember): it's good publicity.

They wouldn't do all this if they seriously thought they would repel more customers than they attract by helping draw attention to this new policy.

Heck, they probably see this as a way to increase their market share amongst conservative demographics, who have a tendency to (somewhat unfairly) characterize Starbucks as some sort of "bastion of hippy liberalism" (despite the fact that they merely, you know, sell coffee, which is a distinctly nonpartisan enterprise).

amzbrady

imported post

marshaul wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Only thing that could havemade it better, would have been him saying there are far more gun owners who buy coffee than protesters.

Notice that these skits about guns in Starbucks (Colbert, Kimmel) have incorporated genuine Starbucks locations and employees.

There is ONLY one reasonable answer (Starbucks is in the business of making money, remember): it's good publicity.

They wouldn't do all this if they seriously thought they would repel more customers than they attract by helping draw attention to this new policy.

Heck, they probably see this as a way to increase their market share amongst conservative demographics, who have a tendency to (somewhat unfairly) characterize Starbucks as some sort of "bastion of hippy liberalism" (despite the fact that they merely, you know, sell coffee, which is a distinctly nonpartisan enterprise).
Didnt think they allowed cameras inside Starbucks, and when was there a Colbert skit?

Bersa.380

imported post

Respect the man … … yes ! Is he being politically neutral in his statement … .. YES ! Do I wish some of these people would just quit being fearful, make a stand, and say what’s really on there mind … … H E C K Y E S !

amzbrady

imported post

marshaul wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Didnt think they allowed cameras inside Starbucks, and when was there a Colbert skit?
They may not want *you* photographing inside a Starbucks, but giving Jimmy Kimmel permission to film a skit is a whole 'nother scenario.

ETA: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=39531&forum_id=4&highlight=colbert
I didnt see the Kimmel skit as funny, they made it seem that we actually draw our weapons needlessly inside establishments and accidently shoot people on the way out. Even if it was meant to support the anti's, it still wasnt funny. You also mentioned the Colbert report, is there a link to the video, I havent seen anything archived on the site, was there a guest talking about guns?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...---american-academy-of-pediatrics---starbucks

Anyway, I didn't see Kimmel's skit as effectively making it "seem that we actually draw our weapons needlessly inside establishments".

To do that effectively, it would have to be more like Doonesbury, where someone calls them a "moron" first, or maybe the cinnamon runs out.

In Kimmel's skit, the first thing he does is draw his gun. This is obviously absurd. He isn't robbing the place, he's just pointing his gun and ordering coffee.

I don't really see how this can be read as anything other than a jab at the antis' fear-mongering.

It's hard to take it as directed negatively at us. That's so far from the way the world *really* is that I don't think you have to be pro-gun to se it.

tyguy808

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I didnt see the Kimmel skit as funny, they made it seem that we actually draw our weapons needlessly inside establishments and accidently shoot people on the way out. Even if it was meant to support the anti's, it still wasnt funny. You also mentioned the Colbert report, is there a link to the video, I havent seen anything archived on the site, was there a guest talking about guns?
Click on the link in Marshaul's post above this one, the Starbucks bit starts at around 2:30 in the clip that starts.

DEROS72

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
marshaul wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

That surprises me.When we did that king 5 thing about Starbucks the manager of the store saw the news crew and told me basically I was welcome with my sidearm but the cameras can't come in.Thats why you only saw me going in and coming out.

amzbrady

imported post

marshaul wrote:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/265483/march-03-2010/tip-wag---american-academy-of-pediatrics---starbucks

Anyway, I didn't see Kimmel's skit as effectively making it "seem that we actually draw our weapons needlessly inside establishments".

To do that effectively, it would have to be more like Doonesbury, where someone calls them a "moron" first, or maybe the cinnamon runs out.

In Kimmel's skit, the first thing he does is draw his gun. This is obviously absurd. He isn't robbing the place, he's just pointing his gun and ordering coffee.

I don't really see how this can be read as anything other than a jab at the antis' fear-mongering.

It's hard to take it as directed negatively at us. That's so far from the way the world *really* is that I don't think you have to be pro-gun to se it.
So it didnt bother you, when as he left the starbucks,he portrayed a careless carrier with coffee, who's gun accidently went off and shot another customer? I dont think thats the way I would like to be seen in publics eyes. It would have been better for us had they had a bunch of people in the Starbucks with exaggerated guns, huge 44's, 50's, AK's, just sitting around laughing, with their children and nothing bad happening. That would have been funny and not have left a bitter coffee taste. Maybe they could do a skit where it's a Cali starbucks and have an open carrier, sitting there while a robber comes in and have the OCer sit there saying oh, wait a second while I load my weapon, so I can defend myself and show the robber bored as he patiently waits for the CALI OCer. Or maybe have a bunch of Cali, OCer sitting there and have a robber come in and show them all start to throw their guns andmags at them since they were not loaded and able to defend themselves. Now that would be funny.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
So it didnt bother you, when as he left the starbucks, he portrayed a careless carrier with coffee, who's gun accidently went off and shot another customer? I dont think thats the way I would like to be seen in publics eyes.
I still can't help but seeing that as absurdist humor which serves to call attention to the ludicrousness of that whole notion.