• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Every bullet hits something

kenzmad

imported post

Read this in the Seattle Times this morning. be sure of the backstop before firing or at least hit your target with every round.

Idaho man hit by stray bullet in Yakima dies
A 20-year-old Idaho man is dead after being hit by a stray bullet in Yakima.

The Associated Press

YAKIMA, Wash. —

Kyle Flerchinger, of Orofino, was smoking a cigarette last Tuesday night in the back yard of a home where he was staying when a bullet struck him in the back of the neck. Police say the shot was fired from about a block away and was intended for another man.

Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins tells the Yakima Herald-Republic that Flerchinger was taken off life support and died on Friday. Several of his organs were saved for donation.

The gunfire might have been gang-related. Police said the bullet was intended for a 21-year-old man who was hit at least twice in the back. That victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle but is expected to recover.

No arrests have been made.

---

Information from: Yakima Herald-Republic, http://www.yakimaherald.com

With all of us being armed and ready, you can't prepare for this scenario.

kenzmad

swatspyder

imported post

kenzmad wrote:
Read this in the Seattle Times this morning. be sure of the backstop before firing or at least hit your target with every round.

Idaho man hit by stray bullet in Yakima dies

The Associated Press

YAKIMA, Wash. —

Kyle Flerchinger, of Orofino, was smoking a cigarette last Tuesday night in the back yard of a home where he was staying when a bullet struck him in the back of the neck. Police say the shot was fired from about a block away and was intended for another man.

Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins tells the Yakima Herald-Republic that Flerchinger was taken off life support and died on Friday. Several of his organs were saved for donation.

The gunfire might have been gang-related. Police said the bullet was intended for a 21-year-old man who was hit at least twice in the back. That victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle but is expected to recover.

No arrests have been made.

---

Information from: Yakima Herald-Republic, http://www.yakimaherald.com

With all of us being armed and ready, you can't prepare for this scenario.

kenzmad
At the hands of some idiot gang member...

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I remember hearing on the evening news just after one July 4th back in the mid 90s that 5 people had been killed across the country as the result of bullets falling out of the sky.

"What goes up must come down."

Hammer

imported post

What exactly would the math on that be?
That is, if an object is falling form the sky, it reaches terminal velocity and no more. Bullets, from 40 - 300 grains, with a few exceptions, are not very heavy and at terminal velocity don't seem harmful enough to kill without some very exceptional circumstances.
I am not advocating shooting into the sky.
Just wondering how accurate the reports are that falling bullets kill several per Independence Day.

Trigger Dr

imported post

A falling object gains velocityat the rate of 32ft per second,per second until it reaches terminal velocity of 128 ft per second.

ie: the first seccond 32fps, the 2nd second 64 fps, the 3rd second 96 fps, the 4th second 128 fps.

velocity squared divided by 7000, devided by 64.32 multiplied by weight gives ft pounds energy. So, a 300 grain bullet would ....

128 x 128 = 16384 / 7000 = 2.3405714 / 64.32 = .0363894 x 300 = 10.91682 ft pounds energy

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
A falling object gains velocityat the rate of 32ft per second,per second until it reaches terminal velocity of 128 ft per second.

ie: the first seccond 32fps, the 2nd second 64 fps, the 3rd second 96 fps, the 4th second 128 fps.

velocity squared divided by 7000, devided by 64.32 multiplied by weight gives ft pounds energy. So, a 300 grain bullet would ....

128 x 128 = 16384 / 7000 = 2.3405714 / 64.32 = .0363894 x 300 = 10.91682 ft pounds energy
That translates to roughly 87 MPH if no forward velocity is still present.

Still having forward velocity changes the equation with considerable lethal potential.

Yata hey

Trigger Dr

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Mythbusters did an episode on shooting into the sky. I'll let you folks look it up.
Their results showed a 9mm (weight not given) went2" into the dirt. dirt was very soft and one could push thier finger into the ground 2"

onlurker

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

Still having forward velocity changes the equation with considerable lethal potential.

Yata hey
I believe you're correct. What trigger wrote out is a statistical anomaly as you need to be exactly 90* vertical, not 90.1, not 89.9, but 90.0000. The majority of people are going to shoot between 0 and 90 degrees, but never truly a flat 0.0000 or vertical 90.0000.

Trigger Dr

imported post

onlurker wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

Yata hey
I believe you're correct. What trigger wrote out is a statistical anomaly as you need to be exactly 90* vertical, not 90.1, not 89.9, but 90.0000. The majority of people are going to shoot between 0 and 90 degrees, but never truly a flat 0.0000 or vertical 90.0000.
In my example, that bullet would be about the same diameter and weight as an aluminum arrow and traveling at that speed it could probably be fatal.

amzbrady

imported post

Practice, Practice, Practice... That is the best reason for shooting for mass, and practicing at the range. I know I can use more. The two to the left of the neck, in a real situation could earn some prison time and add to a negative statistic.

massivedesign

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Practice, Practice, Practice... That is the best reason for shooting for mass, and practicing at the range. I know I can use more. The two to the left of the neck, in a real situation could earn some prison time and add to a negative statistic.

Not bad for 3 yards...:celebrate

onlurker

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
In my example, that bullet would be about the same diameter and weight as an aluminum arrow and traveling at that speed it could probably be fatal.
It could be fatal, but you're assuming a 100% vertical trajectory, which isn't going to happen unless you set the firing device on a rig specifically calibrated to fire 100% vertical. My point is that no matter how vertical you think you're shooting, it won't be 100% vertical and the projectile will be fatal.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Practice is a very important part of our responsibility when we choose to carry.

One suggestion either you post it or not take your first six shots, 3 to COM and 3 to the head and see where they land as this will give you an idea how your first shots may hit.

Good target practice !

amzbrady

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

And blindfolded, behind my back. :lol:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

Next time try it with the blindfold on your eyes, instead of behind your back.

amzbrady

imported post

ak56 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

Next time try it with the blindfold on your eyes, instead of behind your back.
OOOH, ow.