• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsman Firearms Permit Question

Sig229

imported post

Today I will bne going to get my Sportsman Firearm Permit (SFP).

I have a couple of questions

(Yes, I know if you have a LTCF there's no need, but I cant get my LTCF for another month)

First, so long as I have my fishing license and my Sportsman Firearms Permit, can I OC while fishing in a State Park? I ask becuase I thought OC in a state park was NOT legal.

Second, the law regarding the SFP says "going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places."

So does that mean I may OC in my vehicle when I am on my way and coming from fishing?

I appreciate any help you folks may be able to offer!

Sig229

imported post

Got my SFP a little while ago. The lady at the county treasurers office said that yes, I can OC while in a vehicle going and coming from the fishing or hunting location.

But she didnt know the law/regulation regarding OC in a state park with a SFP.

Steve in PA

imported post

There is no "open or concealed carry" in a motor vehicle. By that I mean there are no seperate distinctions.

In order to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, either in the open or concealed, a person must either possess a license to carry firearms or fall into one of the exceptions such as police, military, etc.

Also included in the exceptions are persons with Sportsman's Permits. The permits, when carried with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license are an exception to needing a license to carry firearms.

An exception..........means you can do something which you would not normally be allowed to do without some sort of license. In this case Sportsman's Permit + valid hunting, fishing or trapping license = carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle while going to or coming from those places a person desires to hunt, fish or trap.

I don't know about OC in a state park. I am sure someone will be along soon enough to answer that question.

Sig229

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
There is no "open or concealed carry" in a motor vehicle. By that I mean there are no seperate distinctions.

In order to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, either in the open or concealed, a person must either possess a license to carry firearms or fall into one of the exceptions such as police, military, etc.

Also included in the exceptions are persons with Sportsman's Permits. The permits, when carried with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license are an exception to needing a license to carry firearms.

An exception..........means you can do something which you would not normally be allowed to do without some sort of license. In this case Sportsman's Permit + valid hunting, fishing or trapping license = carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle while going to or coming from those places a person desires to hunt, fish or trap.

I don't know about OC in a state park. I am sure someone will be along soon enough to answer that question.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I called teh local sherrif and asked him abot the state park carry with my SFP and while fishing, but he was very rude and didnt give me an answer. I know that contacting law enformecment for legal advice is not always a good idea, bit I figured that it couldn't hurt by asking.

It would be nice to OC with my SFP in state parks, because there are so many wonderful fishing pots in Pennsylvania, but are located in state parks.