• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in state parks????

smn

imported post

Legal? Yes for GFL holders or those holding permits of reciprocal states. If you're a resident of SC then I don't think so.

There are few exceptions to the state park rule: http://www.gastateparks.org/core/item/page.aspx?s=14493.0.1.5
Weapons: Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state. A person possessing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law.

Concealed firearms are not permitted on sites that are leased federal property. Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited.

The following sites are on leased federal property:
Army Corp of Engineers
Red Top Mountain
Seminole
George T. Bagby
Florence Marina
Tugaloo Hart
Bobby Brown
Richard B. Russell
Elijah Clark
Mistletoe
U.S. Fish & Wildlife S.C. Foster

See this url: http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php and search for state parks for the relevant law.

M

mdgary

imported post

I have a NH permit.. I just wanted to know the state park laws. Thank you

rmodel65

imported post

you can carry anywhere in a park(assuming there isnt a public gathering going on)....including the government buildings and with the NH permit you are legal to carry as long as its not off limits federally....

what state park are you going to?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings; affirmative defenses
(a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense.

(b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises and which derive less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the sale of prepared meals or food. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.

(c) (1) This Code section shall not apply to competitors participating in organized sport shooting events.

(2) Law enforcement officers, peace officers retired from state, local, or federal law enforcement agencies, judges, magistrates, constables, solicitors-general, and district attorneys may carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings; provided, however, that a courthouse security plan adopted in accordance with paragraph (10) of subsection (a) of Code Section 15-16-10 may prohibit the carrying of a pistol.

(d) It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by such law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for such public gathering.

(e) A person licensed or permitted to carry a firearm by this part shall be permitted to carry such firearm, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas and in wildlife management areas, notwithstanding Code Section 12-3-10, in wildlife management areas notwithstanding Code Section 27-3-1.1 and 27-3-6, and in public transportation notwithstanding Code Sections 16-12-122 through 16-12-127; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a firearm into a place prohibited by federal law.

(f) A person licensed or permitted to carry a firearm by this part shall not consume alcoholic beverages in a restaurant or other eating establishment while carrying a firearm. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

M

mdgary

imported post

I got my answer todayfom aGa. DNR officer-No gun are permitted on Army Corp land period.