• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Weapon Situation

Adame24

imported post

This is a question not related to open carry, but I'd like to get resolution to this problem and I feel this forum would be the people to do it.

A few nights ago me, my brother and a friend were stopped at our residence by a LEO because we were playing around with our airsoft guns (I assume a neighbor phoned it in). The officer asked that the owner of the house show his ID and as a courtesy my brother gave it to him. In the end the officer let us continue playing since it was our property, but my question is; What information am I legally required to provide him with? Did I even have to stop and answer his questions? Do I have to show him ID to prove I live at the residence we we're playing at? More or less, at what pointdo I have to comply withhim?

Adam

DanM

imported post

Adame24 wrote:
A few nights ago me, my brother and a friend were stopped at our residence by a LEO because we were playing around with our airsoft guns (I assume a neighbor phoned it in). The officer asked that the owner of the house show his ID and as a courtesy my brother gave it to him. In the end the officer let us continue playing since it was our property, but my question is; What information am I legally required to provide him with?
None, unless you are doing something specifically by law that requires disclosure of information, such as driving or lawfully carrying a concealed weapon. And then, for those examples, you are only required to present driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance or your CPL license. Nothing further.

Did I even have to stop and answer his questions?

No, younever have toanswer questions. You only have to provideinformation mandated by law (driver's license, CPL, etc.), if the activity you are engaged in requires it (driving, carrying concealed weapon, etc.).

Do I have to show him ID to prove I live at the residence we we're playing at?

No. You never have to "prove" you are legally allowed to be at a residence. It is up to the officer to have reasonable suspicion or probable cause to believe you are NOT legally permitted to be wherever you are at, before he candetain, arrest, or remove you. When the officer is asking youto "prove" you live there, he is attempting to developRS or PC.An officer has the right to simply ask for things, and you have a right to comply withor declinerequests. However, never put up any resistance toarrest even if you believe the arrest is illegal. You will have your day in court, and you may have the basis for a civil suit.

All that being said, I personallycomplywith non-intrusive requests from friendlyofficers who are keeping their interaction with me very brief. I will answer such things aswho I am and my address of residence. If the questioning goes beyond verybasic facts or sixty seconds, then I will start asking, "AmIbeing detained or am I free to go?"

Adame24

imported post

Thank you this was very helpful. I want to make sure my rights are nailed down so that if more serious situations develop I'm going to be poised and ready.