• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad Encounter with Manager @ Gander Mountain

gqpolo

imported post

I went into the store in Sheffield Village with my three sons and was open carrying my Glock 19 and had no problem in the firearm department, as I was walking around the store another customer approached me and said "Do you ever get harassed when you open carry?" Just as I was about to say "no" a frantic woman came up to us and said that if I had what she called a CCW that I had to conceal my weapon. I informed her that she was incorrect and quoted her the ORC and she got even more flustered (I remained calm) and said that the police told her that was the case and I offered to wait while she called the police so she could get a better education. She became even more flustered and said "I'm not going to argue with you" I replied "I'm not arguing, just trying to educate you but if you would like me to spend my money elsewhere then I would be happy to do so at a pro-gun store" as she walked away she threw her hands in the air and said "yeah i'm not pro-gun, that's why I have a CCW!!" Below is an excerpt from Gander Mountain's own website that I checked before I went in:

OPEN AND CONCEAL CARRY POLICY

Our customers that are legally carrying a firearm concealed on their person or openly as State Law permits are welcome in our stores.

We do ask that customers bringing in firearms or bows for repair or quotes bring them in cased and check them in at the service desk, so that we can ensure they are handled safely while in our possession.

Here is the link...http://www.gandermountain.com/customer_ ... licy.shtml

I am emailing Gander Mountain Corp. and will send them the link to this thread so they can see the incompetence of the store manager.

BTW the customer who was talking to me also left and as he did he said "sorry to jinx you" and "she's wrong" so that was two customers that she turned away.

Mainsail

imported post

gqpolo wrote:
...a frantic woman came up to us and said that if I had what she called a CCW that I had to conceal my weapon. I informed her that she was incorrect and quoted her the ORC and she got even more flustered (I remained calm) and said that the police told her that was the case ...
It sounds like she was misinformed by the police, if indeed she called them. It is common practice for the police to claim that if you have a CCW or concealed carry license that you are no longer ‘allowed’ to carry openly. I have been told this to my face by the Tacoma PD here in WA, and have read reports of police in other states making similar claims.

matthollycart

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
gqpolo wrote:
...a frantic woman came up to us and said that if I had what she called a CCW that I had to conceal my weapon. I informed her that she was incorrect and quoted her the ORC and she got even more flustered (I remained calm) and said that the police told her that was the case ...
It sounds like she was misinformed by the police, if indeed she called them. It is common practice for the police to claim that if you have a CCW or concealed carry license that you are no longer ‘allowed’ to carry openly. I have been told this to my face by the Tacoma PD here in WA, and have read reports of police in other states making similar claims.
That's exactly what the police here in Ohio do.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
SNIP It is common practice for the police to claim that if you have a CCW or concealed carry license that you are no longer ‘allowed’ to carry openly. I have been told this to my face by the Tacoma PD here in WA, and have read reports of police in other states making similar claims.

Hypothetical conversation between cop and Citizen (with hidden recording device).

Cop: Cover that up! Yourpermit means it must be concealed!

Citizen (sounding very innocent): Wow! I'm sorry, sir. I had no idea. I guess it must then also be a violation of 18.2-308, a Class1 misdemeanor, huh?

Cop: [anti-OC commentary]

Citizen (still sounding innocent):Gosh, officer. I had no idea. Since you are demanding it, I will go ahead and cover it up. I really appreciate you cutting me a break and not citing me for aClass 1 misdemeanor.

Cop:[leaves]

First words of formal complaint:

Dear Lt. Smith,

What kind of jackasses do you people employ? Attached is an audio recording of Officer Liar Jonesspouting complete horsesnit...

PS: I wouldn't really write the words jackass or horsesnit in a formal complaint.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
That's is crazy here in north carolina when you walk up to the door they have a huge stand alone sign that says "check in firearms only if you are having it serviced. This dose not apply to people who are open carrying and ccw"

Lord Sega

I see this over and over...

"...for the police to claim that if you have a CCW or concealed carry license that you are no longer allowed to carry openly."

By that same logic, once I got my driver's license I'm no longer allowed to ride my 10-speed bike.