• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW vs CPL

tail2spin

imported post

What is the difference between a CCW and CPL?

it is far better to have a self defense gun and never need it, than to need a self defense gun and not have it

detroit_fan

imported post

In michigan a CPL is a Concealed Pistol License. It allows you to carry a pistol concealed. A CCW is carrying a concealed weapon, which is the name of the crime you commit in MI if you carry a pistol concealed without a CPL.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CCW - "concealed carry weapons" MO is one of the states that issues a CCW and with one you in MO you can carry about any concealed weapon (carbine, knife, machete, baton, etc) excepting switchblades/butterfly/automatic knives and some other stuff which are in a different statute section than firearms and other weapons covered in the CCW statutes. (Whether that was an oversight or intentional here I have heard varying accounts)

Some other states have CPLs - concealed pistol license, CHP - concealed handgun permit, etc which tend to only exempt as to the carry of pistols/handguns.

Disclaimer: Those generalizations being made, every state has its own specific regulations, requirements as to concealed carry of firearms and other weapons and similar terms may have different specific legal meaning in different states' statutes. On some weapons issues in certain states these differences may exist between local gov't units as well.

hopnpop

imported post

concealed licenses are called by different names in different states. Michigan has a CPL (concealed pistol license). Indiana has a LTCH (license to carry a handgun). Others have CCW permits (carrying a concealed weapon).

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In Nevada it is a concealed firearm permit. It allows you to carry concealed revolvers,single and double derringers, as well as semi-automatic firearms that you qualify with. If your firearm is pump-action, lever-action, bolt action, or some other type of action other than revolvers, single and double derringers and you can't carry it concealed with the permit. And you also cannot carry other concealed weapons with the permit, such as steak knives, which were held to fall into the "other dangerous or deadly weapon category" in state case law when a person committing trespass was found to have a concealed steak knife in his possession. At the time of the precedent, it was a gross misdemeanor that the guy was convicted with. Today concealed carrying "any other dangerous or deadly weapon" is a felony. (The steak knife wasn't a dagger since it didn't have a hilt... carrying a concealed dagger is still only a gross misdemeanor. So basically, concealed steak knife = felony, concealed KABAR = gross misdimeanor.)

By law one could technically get permission from the sheriff to carry a concealed weapon other than a firearm or switchblade knife, but the law allows the sheriff as much discretion as he wants to issue such a permit whereas the CFP is shall-issue.

eye95

imported post

Alabama: The law reads, "License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person." So, I guess it's a CPL. However, my license is titled, "Pistol License."

eye95

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Chubs2287 wrote:
Connecticutthe permitsays, "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolers."
Interesting. "Pistols" and "Revolvers" as if a revolver is not a pistol.
Revolver is an album from the Beatles. In Connecticut, you must have a permit to carry this album--or a pistol.

M

McX

imported post

Revolver is an album from the Beatles.

dating ourselves a bit aren't we? by the way; hurdygurdy-attica!

penn. non-res. says license to carry firearm.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Alabama's is a license to carry a pistol. Although it is not a true CCW, the only things we aren't allowed to carry concealed are "...bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun..." so the pistol permit takes care of most of that.

bharris25

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
CCW - "concealed carry weapons"  MO is one of the states that issues a CCW and with one you in MO you can carry about any concealed weapon (carbine, knife, machete, baton, etc) excepting switchblades/butterfly/automatic knives and some other stuff which are in a different statute section than firearms and other weapons covered in the CCW statutes.  (Whether that was an oversight or intentional here I have heard varying accounts)

Some other states have CPLs - concealed pistol license, CHP - concealed handgun permit,  etc which tend to only exempt as to the carry of pistols/handguns. 

Disclaimer: Those generalizations being made, every state has its own specific regulations, requirements as to concealed carry of firearms and other weapons and similar terms may have different specific legal meaning in different states' statutes.  On some weapons issues in certain states these differences may exist between local gov't units as well.

This is the email I sent to the MO attorney general and their response

Mr. Harris,
Although the permit refers to weapons instead of just firearms, a CCW permit only covers firearms. It's still illegal, even with a permit, to carry those other weapons. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,

Christopher R. Fehr
Assistant Attorney General
MO Attorney General's Office
Governmental Affairs
PO Box 899
Jefferson City, MO 65102
e-mail address: chris.fehr@ago.mo.gov
Phone: 573-751-0023
Fax: 573-751-5660

Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:45 PM
To: Attorney General
Subject: CCW question

“4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.”

Does this mean my CCW permit covers carry of a knife over 4 inches or switchblades/spring assisted knifes, brass knuckles etc.?
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.801 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2807 - Release Date: 04/12/10 13:32:00

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bharris25 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
CCW - "concealed carry weapons" MO is one of the states that issues a CCW and with one you in MO you can carry about any concealed weapon (carbine, knife, machete, baton, etc) excepting switchblades/butterfly/automatic knives and some other stuff which are in a different statute section than firearms and other weapons covered in the CCW statutes.
snip
This is the email I sent to the MO attorney general and their response

Mr. Harris,
Although the permit refers to weapons instead of just firearms, a CCW permit only covers firearms. It's still illegal, even with a permit, to carry those other weapons. I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,

Christopher R. Fehr
Assistant Attorney General
MO Attorney General's Office
Governmental Affairs
PO Box 899
Jefferson City, MO 65102
e-mail address: chris.fehr@ago.mo.gov
Phone: 573-751-0023
Fax: 573-751-5660

Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:45 PM
To: Attorney General
Subject: CCW question

“4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.”

Does this mean my CCW permit covers carry of a knife over 4 inches or switchblades/spring assisted knifes, brass knuckles etc.?
Well, I think your new friend Christopher is totally and absolutely wrong as to it applying ONLY to firearms as would several attorneys who have written on this specific topic, including Kevin Jamison, perhaps THE legal expert on MO CCW law who states in his book that with a CCW under RSMO 571 "One could carry a bowie knife in a boot, a pistol in a pocket, or a shotgun under a coat."

Subdivision (1) you referenced above reads:
"571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;"

However, of the things you listed in your email, ONLY a knife over 4" would be covered (and I guess your "etc") as everything else you listed are in 571.020.1 and NOT covered by the exemption in 571.030. :banghead:

I think I am going to have to find the time to email this Christopher and ask him to familiarize himself with the law before responding to citizens on legal matters.

ETA: It took me a little while to get back to it, but email is sent to Mr. Fehr for clarification.

AZkopper

imported post

In AZ, it's just called "being armed". :celebrate

Although we do have a Concealed Weapon Permit for those who a)like to pay fees, b)want to carry in places that serve alcohol, or c)like to buy firearms without that pesky 5 minute background check. If a,b, or c don't apply to you, don't get one. You don't need it as of July or August.