Thread: Upcoming Training Opportunity

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc.'s Avatar

Post imported post

Due to continued requests for educational opportunities, we are contacting allmembers to inform them of upcoming educational opportunities. WCI members,are entitled to certain discounts that we have negotiated on their behalf.

Course: Defensive Handgun 1
    Sunday, April 18
    Sunday, June 6

This class is ideal for the person who has basic gun safety knowledge (The 4 Rules!), has done some informal target shooting and wants to take their shooting skills to the next level. This is primarily a semi-automatic focused class, but revolver shooters are certainly welcome!

Equipment Requirements:
    * A handgun in a “service” caliber (9mm/.38 Special minimum)
    * 3 magazines (or speedloaders)
    * Holster and magazine/speedloader carrier
    * Holsters must be strong-side hip holsters, preferably with a reinforced opening so they don't collapse after drawing your gun. No cross-draw, shoulder, small-of-the-back, thigh-rigs, fanny packs, smart-carry, purses, etc. allowed in this class.

* 300 rounds minimum. 500 recommended.

Cost: $135 (includes $10 range fee) $100 for WCI members

Length: 6-8 hours

Location: Holmen Rod & Gun Club or La Crosse Rifle Club (still verifying availability)

Each class currently has a maximum number of 10 students, so get your money in early to save your spot – these will fill up fast. Please include you WCI membership number to qualify for the discount. Send a check or money order payable to Midwest Marksman, Inc to:

Midwest Marksman, Inc
    PO Box 2221
    La Crosse, WI 54602-2221

Questions? Contact the instructor Mark via e-mail: mark@midwestmarksman.com or stop by the website: http://www.midwestmarksman.com or call: 608-790-6324.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    P.O. Box 270403
    Milwaukee, WI. 53227
    Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
    608-792-0669
    http://www.wisconsincarry.org
    Disclaimer: Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Post imported post

I just got off the phone with Mark.

April 18. I am registered.

Post imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
    I just got off the phone with Mark.

April 18. I am registered.
    I might be signing up as well. I was just thinking last night how I should go to this class, get a little more training. Then I check my e-mail and see that WCI members get a discount. So even more reason to go. I mainly just want to find a new holster before I go to this class. My current holster (Fobus Paddle Holster) would be very annoying to draw from over and over.

I went to a Minnesota Carry Permit training class with Mark. Good guy, so I'd be happy to take another class with him.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

logan wrote:
    ....I mainly just want to find a new holster before I go to this class. My current holster (Fobus Paddle Holster) would be very annoying to draw from over and over....
    Logan,
    Unless you've got a really good, stiff, wide belt the Fobus paddle holster might work out better for you than a belt type. I use mine in IDPA competition with two different guns and don't have any trouble drawing over and over during an event

Mount the Fobus in a good spot for your draw, cinch your belt up tight, and draw straight up with a good pull to overcome the retention. It just takes some practice to gain muscle memory.

I recently got a Level II Blackhawk Serpa holster and you can bet that I'll put in some time "tuning" it and practicing my draw before relying on it for carry.

Dave
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

I carry the blackhawk holster. My index finger comes out on the frame, and the thumb on the safety. Not a "quick-draw-mcgraw" by any means, but I do have it down to where I can draw without looking at the holster.

Post imported post

Dave,

I have a couple of these belts from 5.11 Tactical: http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...:50110/I/59551

I should have got the 1.75" width belt. But the draw just seems too hard and my holster moves each time. Maybe I just have to play around with it, or maybe I could loosen it up a bit. My belt just has to be too tight for my to draw good enough.

I'll find something that will work. Either buy a diff holster or get my current one to work.

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Classes are confirmed for the La Crosse Rifle Club - just got approval at tonight's meeting.

Logan: For a cheap, but better than Fobus, holster solution you might check out Uncle Mike's. Even Dillon sells them for $19.95. I can't remember what you shot for the carry class, but Gander might have something for you, or if you order now from Dillon (Midway, etc., your choice) you'd probably have it by the 18th. Or, if you happen to be shooting any of the HK USP models, I've got some comp-tacs you are welcome to borrow.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

/sigh, wish we had something like this down in the Milwaukee area. I'd give it a go just for the excuse to practice more
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

mpthole wrote:
    Classes are confirmed for the La Crosse Rifle Club - just got approval at tonight's meeting.

Logan: For a cheap, but better than Fobus, holster solution you might check out Uncle Mike's. Even Dillon sells them for $19.95. I can't remember what you shot for the carry class, but Gander might have something for you, or if you order now from Dillon (Midway, etc., your choice) you'd probably have it by the 18th. Or, if you happen to be shooting any of the HK USP models, I've got some comp-tacs you are welcome to borrow.
    Glock 19. I went to Gander to look for a Blackhawk holster, and they had them for every Glock except the 19.

I'll look into the Uncle Mike's holster.

Member of:

Post imported post

Mark tells me there are still a few spots available for the class this Sunday April 18 and remember, WCI members get a $35 discount.

Banned

Post imported post

I have heard that the class was excellent but that there were several no-shows. Too bad for them but the ones who showed up got closer attention I'm sure.

My GF and I will definitely get in on one of Mark's classes in the future.

Post imported post

Mark did an excellent job. He had a profesional outline for the course and covered the material in a logical progression. He spent time with each student and critiqued stance, draw, grip, fire, and re-holster techniques. He gave many great pointers.

Very well run. I may take the class again just as a refresher.