• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Training Opportunity

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Due to continued requests for educational opportunities, we are contacting allmembers to inform them of upcoming educational opportunities. WCI members,are entitled to certain discounts that we have negotiated on their behalf.

Course: Defensive Handgun 1
Sunday, April 18
Sunday, June 6

This class is ideal for the person who has basic gun safety knowledge (The 4 Rules!), has done some informal target shooting and wants to take their shooting skills to the next level. This is primarily a semi-automatic focused class, but revolver shooters are certainly welcome!

Equipment Requirements:
* A handgun in a “service” caliber (9mm/.38 Special minimum)
* 3 magazines (or speedloaders)
* Holster and magazine/speedloader carrier
* Holsters must be strong-side hip holsters, preferably with a reinforced opening so they don't collapse after drawing your gun. No cross-draw, shoulder, small-of-the-back, thigh-rigs, fanny packs, smart-carry, purses, etc. allowed in this class.

* 300 rounds minimum. 500 recommended.

Cost: $135 (includes $10 range fee) $100 for WCI members

Length: 6-8 hours

Location: Holmen Rod & Gun Club or La Crosse Rifle Club (still verifying availability)

Each class currently has a maximum number of 10 students, so get your money in early to save your spot – these will fill up fast. Please include you WCI membership number to qualify for the discount. Send a check or money order payable to Midwest Marksman, Inc to:

Midwest Marksman, Inc
PO Box 2221
La Crosse, WI 54602-2221

Questions? Contact the instructor Mark via e-mail: mark@midwestmarksman.com or stop by the website: http://www.midwestmarksman.com or call: 608-790-6324.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I just got off the phone with Mark.

April 18. I am registered.
I might be signing up as well. I was just thinking last night how I should go to this class, get a little more training. Then I check my e-mail and see that WCI members get a discount. So even more reason to go. I mainly just want to find a new holster before I go to this class. My current holster (Fobus Paddle Holster) would be very annoying to draw from over and over.

I went to a Minnesota Carry Permit training class with Mark. Good guy, so I'd be happy to take another class with him.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

logan wrote:
....I mainly just want to find a new holster before I go to this class. My current holster (Fobus Paddle Holster) would be very annoying to draw from over and over....
Logan,
Unless you've got a really good, stiff, wide belt the Fobus paddle holster might work out better for you than a belt type. I use mine in IDPA competition with two different guns and don't have any trouble drawing over and over during an event

Mount the Fobus in a good spot for your draw, cinch your belt up tight, and draw straight up with a good pull to overcome the retention. It just takes some practice to gain muscle memory.

I recently got a Level II Blackhawk Serpa holster and you can bet that I'll put in some time "tuning" it and practicing my draw before relying on it for carry.

Dave

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry the blackhawk holster. My index finger comes out on the frame, and the thumb on the safety. Not a "quick-draw-mcgraw" by any means, but I do have it down to where I can draw without looking at the holster.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave,

I have a couple of these belts from 5.11 Tactical: http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...kle/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50100:50110/I/59551

I should have got the 1.75" width belt. But the draw just seems too hard and my holster moves each time. Maybe I just have to play around with it, or maybe I could loosen it up a bit. My belt just has to be too tight for my to draw good enough.

I'll find something that will work. Either buy a diff holster or get my current one to work.

mpthole

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Classes are confirmed for the La Crosse Rifle Club - just got approval at tonight's meeting.

Logan: For a cheap, but better than Fobus, holster solution you might check out Uncle Mike's. Even Dillon sells them for $19.95. I can't remember what you shot for the carry class, but Gander might have something for you, or if you order now from Dillon (Midway, etc., your choice) you'd probably have it by the 18th. Or, if you happen to be shooting any of the HK USP models, I've got some comp-tacs you are welcome to borrow.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mpthole wrote:
Classes are confirmed for the La Crosse Rifle Club - just got approval at tonight's meeting.

Logan: For a cheap, but better than Fobus, holster solution you might check out Uncle Mike's. Even Dillon sells them for $19.95. I can't remember what you shot for the carry class, but Gander might have something for you, or if you order now from Dillon (Midway, etc., your choice) you'd probably have it by the 18th. Or, if you happen to be shooting any of the HK USP models, I've got some comp-tacs you are welcome to borrow.
Glock 19. I went to Gander to look for a Blackhawk holster, and they had them for every Glock except the 19.

I'll look into the Uncle Mike's holster.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mark tells me there are still a few spots available for the class this Sunday April 18 and remember, WCI members get a $35 discount.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

I have heard that the class was excellent but that there were several no-shows. Too bad for them but the ones who showed up got closer attention I'm sure.

My GF and I will definitely get in on one of Mark's classes in the future.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mark did an excellent job. He had a profesional outline for the course and covered the material in a logical progression. He spent time with each student and critiqued stance, draw, grip, fire, and re-holster techniques. He gave many great pointers.

Very well run. I may take the class again just as a refresher.