Thread: Who needs a gun in a national park?

Post imported post

Last edited by Curtis; 07-24-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Here come the antis: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 .....................

Its all because of the change in the law - like a criminal would never break one.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

With that description they should have him is a few more hours.

It sounds like Ellwood Shifflett from Elkton. Wonder if I should call in a tip

Post imported post

Authorities describe the man as having long, gray hair. He may be traveling in a red car and is believed to be armed, they say.

Sounds like Uncle Jesse has taken the General Lee and gone on a rampage.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...234202/335369/

Pull that shotgun on me and the guy is gonna be without a head real quick.

I say OC is now the rule on the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive.

Post imported post

glockfan wrote:
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...234202/335369/

Pull that shotgun on me and the guy is gonna be without a head real quick.

I say OC is now the rule on the Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive.

It always has been for the locals. It's just legal now.

Post imported post

TFred wrote: We all want more info and it surely is coming in bit and pieces. We'll just have to wait this out though - so many possibilities.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

An arrest is imminent I'm told. Most likely will be on the 6 p.m. news.

Post imported post

Man arrested:

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/9...7.html?ref=117

Man Arrested in Connection with Blue Ridge Parkway Shootings
    Augusta County
    A man has been arrested in connection with Monday's shootings on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Posted: 4:04 PM Apr 7, 2010

A man has been arrested in connection with Monday's shootings on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

A spokesperson from the parkway says the Augusta County Sheriff's Office made the arrest in Stuarts Draft just after 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The man's name was not immediately released.

Police say the Monday night shooting of two people watching the sunset at Rock Point Overlook still appears to be random.

One of the victims was 27-year-old Tim Davis, a radio personality on WNRN known on-air as DJ Prolapse. Davis, who has muscular dystrophy, is in critical condition at the University of Virginia Medical Center.

The other victim, an 18-year-old female who was with Davis, was also shot and remains in the hospital. At last update, she was listed in fair condition.

Post imported post

What motivated him to do this ?

Post imported post

Will be interested to see if any possible connection to this and other unsolved crimes on Blue Ridge and Colonial Pkwy over the years.

I know it is probably crass to say, but hope he wasn't a CHP holder.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Seems one of the people that have comment on this article seems to think the gun law that passed to allow people to carry in the park is the reason for this.
    http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/9...ction=comments
    I can't believe someone would actually believe that this law could have been the cause of this.
    I feel horrible for the victims. This is a horrible tragedy that never should have happened. I can't figure out what would ever posses someone to do something horrible like this. I just don't get it.

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    Seems one of the people that have comment on this article seems to think the gun law that passed to allow people to carry in the park is the reason for this.
    http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/9...ction=comments
    I can't believe someone would actually believe that this law could have been the cause of this.
    I feel horrible for the victims. This is a horrible tragedy that never should have happened. I can't figure out what would ever posses someone to do something horrible like this. I just don't get it.
    The investigation is pointing toward a couple of other Murders up there. I wonder how they will fit that in since the law hadn't changed yet.

Post imported post

I keep reading comments to that article saying that the new law only allows people with concealed carry permits to now carry concealed. Is that true? I thought you could open carry on the parkway now too. Permit or not. Am I wrong?

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    I keep reading comments to that article saying that the new law only allows people with concealed carry permits to now carry concealed. Is that true? I thought you could open carry on the parkway now too. Permit or not. Am I wrong?
    No, it's not true.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:
    No, it's not true.
    One can carry in accordance with the laws of the state in which the NPS land/site is located.

A change in federal law effective February 22, allows people who can legally possess firearms under federal, state/commonwealth (North Carolina or Virginia), and local laws to possess those firearms in the Blue Ridge Parkway. The new law (Sec. 512 of P.L. 111-24) was passed by Congress and signed last May by the President.

The new federal law makes possession of firearms in national parks also subject to the firearms laws of the state/commonwealth and communities where the parks are located.

Visitors who wish to bring firearms to the park are responsible to know what state/commonwealth they are in and are subject to the laws of the different state or commonwealth and counties, depending on their location.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/new...egulations.htm

Yata hey