• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in a national park?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Here come the antis: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 .....................

Its all because of the change in the law - like a criminal would never break one. :banghead:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

With that description they should have him is a few more hours.

It sounds like Ellwood Shifflett from Elkton. Wonder if I should call in a tip:D:D

Marco

imported post

Authorities describe the man as having long, gray hair. He may be traveling in a red car and is believed to be armed, they say.

Sounds like Uncle Jesse has taken the General Lee and gone on a rampage.

TFred

imported post

Man arrested:

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/90119117.html?ref=117

Man Arrested in Connection with Blue Ridge Parkway Shootings
Augusta County
A man has been arrested in connection with Monday's shootings on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Posted: 4:04 PM Apr 7, 2010

A man has been arrested in connection with Monday's shootings on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

A spokesperson from the parkway says the Augusta County Sheriff's Office made the arrest in Stuarts Draft just after 3 p.m. Wednesday.

The man's name was not immediately released.

Police say the Monday night shooting of two people watching the sunset at Rock Point Overlook still appears to be random.

One of the victims was 27-year-old Tim Davis, a radio personality on WNRN known on-air as DJ Prolapse. Davis, who has muscular dystrophy, is in critical condition at the University of Virginia Medical Center.

The other victim, an 18-year-old female who was with Davis, was also shot and remains in the hospital. At last update, she was listed in fair condition.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Will be interested to see if any possible connection to this and other unsolved crimes on Blue Ridge and Colonial Pkwy over the years.

I know it is probably crass to say, but hope he wasn't a CHP holder.

Yata hey

hometheaterman

imported post

Seems one of the people that have comment on this article seems to think the gun law that passed to allow people to carry in the park is the reason for this.
http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/90119117.html?storySection=comments
I can't believe someone would actually believe that this law could have been the cause of this.
I feel horrible for the victims. This is a horrible tragedy that never should have happened. I can't figure out what would ever posses someone to do something horrible like this. I just don't get it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Seems one of the people that have comment on this article seems to think the gun law that passed to allow people to carry in the park is the reason for this.
http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/90119117.html?storySection=comments
I can't believe someone would actually believe that this law could have been the cause of this.
I feel horrible for the victims. This is a horrible tragedy that never should have happened. I can't figure out what would ever posses someone to do something horrible like this. I just don't get it.
The investigation is pointing toward a couple of other Murders up there. I wonder how they will fit that in since the law hadn't changed yet.

hometheaterman

imported post

I keep reading comments to that article saying that the new law only allows people with concealed carry permits to now carry concealed. Is that true? I thought you could open carry on the parkway now too. Permit or not. Am I wrong?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I keep reading comments to that article saying that the new law only allows people with concealed carry permits to now carry concealed. Is that true? I thought you could open carry on the parkway now too. Permit or not. Am I wrong?
No, it's not true.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
No, it's not true.
One can carry in accordance with the laws of the state in which the NPS land/site is located.

A change in federal law effective February 22, allows people who can legally possess firearms under federal, state/commonwealth (North Carolina or Virginia), and local laws to possess those firearms in the Blue Ridge Parkway. The new law (Sec. 512 of P.L. 111-24) was passed by Congress and signed last May by the President.

The new federal law makes possession of firearms in national parks also subject to the firearms laws of the state/commonwealth and communities where the parks are located.

Visitors who wish to bring firearms to the park are responsible to know what state/commonwealth they are in and are subject to the laws of the different state or commonwealth and counties, depending on their location.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/parknews/new-firearms-regulations.htm

Yata hey