• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

found this at the cabelas website

dbegin87

imported post

i thought someone could make an inquiry about this to someone up at corporate

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/customerservice/gun-restrict.jsp?csPage=gunrestrict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict

scroll down to the Connecticut sectionhttp://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict  

i couldnt find a code of conduct page for stores but i put a call in to east Hartford and asked there policy on customer carry keep in mind they would not let me speak to a manager but they said you have to carry concealed because that is ct law now we all know that is not the case and i will be going there to test this with documentation in hand from the http://www.ct.gov website OLR 2008-R-0238 gun permit issues Question number 1]

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=456516

Chubs2287

imported post

I remember walking into the store and reading the sign and it does not have any verb age to require it concealed.

No I don't remember the exact wording.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

dbegin87 wrote:
i thought someone could make an inquiry about this to someone up at corporate

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/customerservice/gun-restrict.jsp?csPage=gunrestrict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict

scroll down to the Connecticut sectionhttp://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...rict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict  

i couldnt find a code of conduct page for stores but i put a call in to east Hartford and asked there policy on customer carry keep in mind they would not let me speak to a manager but they said you have to carry concealed because that is ct law now we all know that is not the case and i will be going there to test this with documentation in hand from the http://www.ct.gov website OLR 2008-R-0238 gun permit issues Question number 1]

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=456516
This is a common problem when folks ask others directly or impliedly for permission to carry - you get a lot of very uninformed opinions.

Don't ask don't tell applies to open carry and concealed carry - if you ask them, they will come - and often give you spontaneous and far reaching incorrect legal opinions and tell you to leave or cover up or whatever nonesense flavor of the day - at this point you have asked for a problem and now you have it.

Another problem is customers wanting to get into it with discussions about legal issues with employes - this is always bad juju. Best policy is to shop, mind your own buisness, and leave when you are done with your business.

mrjam2jab

imported post

I have seen letter from corporate...that similar to Walmart...they follow the law of the state that that particular store is located. So since OC is legal in CT...

buketdude

imported post

I have OC'ed in Cabela's..the sign on door says "Carry Permit" I believe...I don't think anyone is going to bother you..I have been all over that store...no one said A word..

gluegun

imported post

buketdude wrote:
I have OC'ed in Cabela's..the sign on door says "Carry Permit" I believe...I don't think anyone is going to bother you..I have been all over that store...no one said A word..
It actually says "concealed/carry permit" which I've always taken to mean concealed or open carry. I know someone who's been stopped once, but after explaining CT laws and showing a permit, was on his way.

Chubs2287

imported post

gluegun wrote:
buketdude wrote:
It actually says "concealed/carry permit" which I've always taken to mean concealed or open carry. I know someone who's been stopped once, but after explaining CT laws and showing a permit, was on his way.
Yes, that's what I remember seeing... :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

stacks04

imported post

went to the live chat on there site to make someone aware of the error in the "conceal carry permit" under the general ct satutes.

the conversation as it was written (i deleted my last name for privacy):

Message.gif
Matt G.: Hi, my name is Matt G.. How may I help you?
Message.gif
joe : hi matt, i was browsing your customer service side of the site and stumbled across an error in wording on the ct state restrictions on purchasing a gun
Message.gif
joe :
Hyperlink.gif
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/customerservice/gun-restrict.jsp;jsessionid=DOPK413M5ASMPLAQBBKSCO3MCAEFAIWE?csPage=gunrestrict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict%C2%A0%C2%A0&_requestid=18190
Message.gif
joe : it says you must have a ccw or conceal carry weapon permit. ct is not a conceal carry state and we dont have ccw. we have a "permit to carry pistol or revolver"
Message.gif
joe : you there?
Message.gif
Matt G.: I will put in a comment for you on this. Maybe they mean a permit to carry instead of ccw. I am not sure as I do not have the specific laws to look up handy.
Message.gif
Matt G.: The note to the internet department should allow them to make it right if changes need to be made.
Message.gif
joe : ok. i just dont want mis information being spread. there is a stigma attached to gun owners in ct and we the "ccdl" are trying to break it by making people aware of it and spreading truths. thanks
Message.gif
Matt G.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Message.gif
Matt G.: Thank you for using Cabela's Live Help. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Alert.gif
Matt G. has disconnected.

Rich B

imported post

I contacted their live support again (which I did as well on April 7th) and requested the information to be changed. This time they mentioned it could take a week to change, to which I replied that this issue was reported to them on April 7th. I asked for various contacts so that I could assist directly, but they would not give me any. I instead left my contact information as well as the CCDL's and told them if they would like any reference to the particular laws that we would be happy to assist them.

Lets hope we can be done with this soon.

Just a Guy

imported post

I just sent them an email as well. It read, in part:

As a point of order, I would like to clarify that Connecticut does NOT issue anything called a CCW nor does it issue anything called a "Concealed Weapons Permit". They do, however, issue a "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". The manner in which the pistol or revolver is carried is decided by the permit-holder. While concealed carry is an option, it is NOT required by law. Thank you.

We will seehow long it takes to get changed, if they bother at all. Now that's customer service.

In the mean time, I'll continue to shop at Hoffman's.

Rich B

imported post

Has anyone noticed that this has now been changed?

Connecticut:
Residents of Connecticut can purchase long guns in any state. They must possess a valid Connecticut gun permit or a current CT hunting license. If they do not have one of these qualifications they must observe the 2 week waiting period before the transfer of the firearm can be made.
A resident of any state can purchase a long gun in the state of CT provided they posses a valid CT hunting license. If a CT hunting license is not in their possession they must observe the 2 week waiting period prior to being transferred the firearm. (CT Gen. Stat 23-37a(b))
With minor exceptions, anyone carrying a handgun in Connecticut must have a Connecticut gun permit. State residents must first apply to the local police chief (or other local official, where applicable) who investigates them and issues a 60-day permit as a prerequisite for the required five-year, renewable state permit issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS). Learn more at http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0156.htm

From: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...strict&cm_re=customerservice*left*gunrestrict

gluegun

imported post

They finally replaced their all-firearms-must-be-unloaded sign with one that is properly worded. I snapped a picture before a left this weekend.

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
They finally replaced their all-firearms-must-be-unloaded sign with one that is properly worded. I snapped a picture before a left this weekend.

Be careful, their manager 'Mark' thinks open carry is illegal in CT and does not believe that sign is applicable in CT. He wants open carriers to 'check' their firearms.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum14/45140.html

sdrct

imported post

Easiest way to not have a problem with that Manager's policy, is just don't go there. Then, every time you didn't go there, email Cabela's to let them know how much you just spent somewhere else, and why.

Adam S

imported post

I was reading this forum the other day and upon seeing the sign,decided to go and check it out for myself. I was OCing and wearing my CCDL tshirt. The first thing that happened was one of the workers greeted me at the door and asked me if i wanted to join Cabela's club. He saw my firearm and not one word was mentioned to me about checking it in or anything to that extent. I was in the store for almost an hour browsing around and ended up bying some ammo. The cashier i went to seemed to be a little snubby, but i don't thing that it was necessarily due to the fact that she saw the firearm. Overall it was a good experience.

I then ended up on the Berlin Turnpike and stopped at Burger King. While i was eating, a gentelman in civilian clothes, who was there with i want to say wife and kids, approached me and asked me what CCDL stood for. I explained to him what it was and what the organization stood for. He identified himself to me as a police officer, however did not mention what town he was from. I decided that it was best not to pry. He mentioned to me how he's also a firearms instructor and just had a heated debate about OC in his last class. He agreed that OC is legal and seemed to be on our side. I gave him a CCDL Is That Legal pamphlet to check it out and encouraged him to visit the website.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Adam S wrote:
I was reading this forum the other day and upon seeing the sign,decided to go and check it out for myself. I was OCing and wearing my CCDL tshirt. The first thing that happened was one of the workers greeted me at the door and asked me if i wanted to join Cabela's club. He saw my firearm and not one word was mentioned to me about checking it in or anything to that extent. I was in the store for almost an hour browsing around and ended up bying some ammo. The cashier i went to seemed to be a little snubby, but i don't thing that it was necessarily due to the fact that she saw the firearm. Overall it was a good experience.

I then ended up on the Berlin Turnpike and stopped at Burger King. While i was eating, a gentelman in civilian clothes, who was there with i want to say wife and kids, approached me and asked me what CCDL stood for. I explained to him what it was and what the organization stood for. He identified himself to me as a police officer, however did not mention what town he was from. I decided that it was best not to pry. He mentioned to me how he's also a firearms instructor and just had a heated debate about OC in his last class. He agreed that OC is legal and seemed to be on our side. I gave him a CCDL Is That Legal pamphlet to check it out and encouraged him to visit the website.
The second paragraph is good news. Educating those in law enforcement that are receptive to it probably goes a long way. Good job!

Rich B

imported post

Adam S wrote:

That was pretty much my experience as well. I was approached by manager Mark after being in the store for quite a while. I have a funny feeling he won't be doing that again, but only time will tell.

I then ended up on the Berlin Turnpike and stopped at Burger King. While i was eating, a gentelman in civilian clothes, who was there with i want to say wife and kids, approached me and asked me what CCDL stood for.

I get these kinds of encounters quite a bit. Great way to spread the word. Interestingly enough, people seem to notice the CCDL logo with the pistol on it before they notice the pistol on my hip. By the time they notice the pistol on my hip, they are already informed. It works nicely usually.

I explained to him what it was and what the organization stood for. He identified himself to me as a police officer, however did not mention what town he was from. I decided that it was best not to pry. He mentioned to me how he's also a firearms instructor and just had a heated debate about OC in his last class. He agreed that OC is legal and seemed to be on our side. I gave him a CCDL Is That Legal pamphlet to check it out and encouraged him to visit the website.

Sounds like a good encounter, good job!