• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ISTHMUS/THE DAILY PAGE (WI) - Open carry news coverage perpetuates myth that guns must be licensed

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

When with the misinformation on this issue end? Registration and licensing of gun ownership appears to be largely unknown in America, see map at http://www.opencarry.org/register.html

--

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=28721

SNIP

The open carry advocates are back and they'd like you to feel unsafe and uncomfortable while you shop for your groceries or get your caffeine fix for the day.

According to a recent police report, several individuals took it upon themselves to pack heat and walk into Fair Trade Coffee on State St. – making the owner, and presumably most of the patrons, feel deeply troubled.

I was told that a similar situation played itself out at Trader Joe's on Monroe St. around the same time, involving a gentleman with a pistol at his side who handed out pamphlets extolling the virtue of projectile weapons to both staff and customers.

It is currently legal to openly carry a firearm if you have a license to do so in Wisconsin (there are some restrictions, including a ban on having a gun in a vehicle or any private or state property that explicitly prohibits them). These folks are apparently just especially appreciative of said right.

LOERetired

imported post

I read this and can't believe someone would be so stupid toprint this without accually knowing the laws. We don't need alicense to open carry and to write that we do, shows that they have no clue on whats going on with open carry. Doug Huffman already replyed (as shown below) to this post and he is right on.

Don

From Doug Huffman on 04/06/10 at 1:01 pm
I am an open carry advocate and I don't much care who is offended by exercise of our rights, believing as I do that offense, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder. Be that as it may, you are grossly wrong in saying, " if you have a license to do so in Wisconsin."

No permit is required or even available in law to go armed as a law abiding citizen.

Your anile (look it up) threat of extra-legal harassment is quite empty and hyperbolic.

Doug Huffman, Washington Island, Wisconsin

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

First of all, turns out I was wrong in my assertion that you needed a license to have and carry a handgun in Wisconsin. Apparently, no such license even exists. I find this more than a little baffling. We make people get a license to drive a car (essentially a large hunk of metal that can be easily misused to hurt lots of people), hunt for game (though that won't always save you from taking a face full of buckshot), and even to get married (a sort of weapon in its own right, really).

But not for guns? What gives?

What gives, in the matter of the differences in automobiles and guns? Driving is a privilege and not a right as is keeping and bearing guns. Put another way, to ensure that your favoirte ox is gored, driving is a privilege and not a right as is free speech, or would you have the government license your pen?

GWbiker

imported post

Someone should advise Emily and her kind to avoid visiting Arizona.

We don't tolerate sheeple who might pee themselves at the sight of a handgun being OC in public.

M

McX

imported post

license.................like a driver's license? or maybe i got a blockbuster card in my wallet, will that do? :D

hardballer

imported post

McX wrote:
license.................like a driver's license? or maybe i got a blockbuster card in my wallet, will that do? :D
I got a Dick Tracy detective badge in a Cracker Jacks box once. Think that'll work?

I'd love to see this "journalist" Debate one of our guys in a moderated, un-biased, public forum. That would be something to see.