• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Arizona Govenor signs bill limiting localities from banning gun carry in parks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Anybody have more details or a link to this bill? I thought Arizona law already preemped localities on guncarry restrictons...

--

http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12260270

SNIP

PHOENIX (AP) - Gov. Jan Brewer has signed into law two bills supported by gun-rights activists.

1 of the bills signed Monday would broaden the state's current restrictions on local governments' ability to regulate or tax guns and ammunition. One specific provision bars local governments from prohibiting a person with a concealed weapons permit from possessing a gun in a park.

Dahwg

imported post

This bill is merely strengthening AZ's preemption laws. Currently, a local municipality can restrict certain city parks to carry with CCW permit only. The new law just signed by the Governor adds firearms storage and reloading components to the list of things political subdivisions cannot regulate, and removes the prohibition on carrying a firearm in public parks without a CCW permit.

Not sure if this is the final bill, but blue is additions and words struck through in red are deletions.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2543h.htm

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Dahwg wrote:
This bill is merely strengthening AZ's preemption laws. Currently, a local municipality can restrict certain city parks to carry with CCW permit only. The new law just signed by the Governor adds firearms storage and reloading components to the list of things political subdivisions cannot regulate, and removes the prohibition on carrying a firearm in public parks without a CCW permit.

Not sure if this is the final bill, but blue is additions and words struck through in red are deletions.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2543h.htm
wow - that's the kind of bll details I was looing for - sure looks like Arizona just enacted full preemption even for non-concealed permit holders, no?

Grimes

imported post

So does this apply to State Parks like South Mountain in Ahwatukee?

Oops, read the bill and I guess it doesn't. :(

Dahwg

imported post

INAL but the way I read the statutes Arizona does not ban carry on State Parks, however it may ban the USE of weapons in specific locations or during certain special events. That's not splitting hairs, since some state parks have areas that are very suitable for target shooting. IIRC The use of a weapon to protect life or limb is permitted if it is otherwise justified by state law.

That being the case, the new state law should do away with all "no carry" in parks.

Grimes

imported post

Thats good to hear Dahwg about the bill. Hopefully it does. :celebrate

Dahwg

Dahwg

imported post

Grimes wrote:
South Mountain is a City of Phoenix park therefore its banning of weapons will be preempted.

Huh?

Since South Mountain is operated by City of Phoenix, preemption will keep them from posting these signs. Weapons will be permitted there by state law.

Grimes

imported post

Very good to hear. I shall be the first as soon as this goes into effect. I was just down at Organ Pipe National Monument OCing. I met a very nice German couple visiting Arizona for a few weeks.

Thoreau

imported post

Grimes wrote:
Very good to hear. I shall be the first as soon as this goes into effect. I was just down at Organ Pipe National Monument OCing. I met a very nice German couple visiting Arizona for a few weeks.
If you have a CCW permit, you already can carry there. If not, then it depends on if the park is over 1 square mile in size as to wether or not they can limit carry.

I'll be joining your National Monument/Park carrying at the Grand Canyon this weekend. Probably gonna feel weird, but oh well! =)

LoTekJunky

Sorry to dig up an old thread... but!

We were doing some outreach at the Occupy Phoenix demonstration this weekend @ Chavez Plaza in Phoenix. I don't want to discuss the politics of the event, but we were banned from entering the park with weapons. One of us was open carrying, and the other had a concealed weapon (a known gun rights activist) but does not have a CCW. We were told that a city ordinance bans weapons in the park, but they could not site the ordinance or produce it when we asked. If you look at the video below and jump to the 6:40 mark, you can see the "detective" brushing us off when we attempted to have a conversation about the gun ban.

http://blip.tv/splice-media/occupy-phoenix-strike-the-root-5649446

Phoenix David

First step would be to file a formal complaint with the Phoenix police department (http://phoenix.gov/EMAIL/emcommend.html) . Be sure to indicate that you have photographic images of the officer that lied to you about the laws. I would not say I had audio as that could be used later if the detective lies about what he told you.

Also Arizona is a one party state as far as audio recordings go and since it was out in public there is no expectation of privacy if they start barking up that tree.

Please let us know what happens.

LoTekJunky

Thanks for the advice. I am aware of the recording laws, but others may not be, so its always helpful to restate them when something like this comes up. I'm not sure that filing a complaint with the very people that caused the issue is the best way to go. Reminds me of an 9th grade kid being allowed to grade his own math test on "the honor system." I have a good libertarian lawyer friend that is going to take a look at this for us. I do like the idea of letting them know we have a photo of the liar, but not letting them know about the audio... that could prove very useful.

Phoenix David

Keeping it in perspective and the totality of the situation and they didn't beat you up or arrest you and this doesn't seem to be a pattern of nisconduct.

Probably the most that will happen that there will be a "sorry he was wrong" satement and that a training bulliten will be read at all role calls.