Thread: Maine to ban only open carry in Arcadia

Post imported post

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...aine_governor/

AUGUSTA, Maine—Gov. John Baldacci is expected to sign an amended bill next week that regulates guns in Acadia National Park, relaxing restrictions that a sponsor of the original measure had hoped to preserve.

Discuss

COMMENTS (1)
    Sen. Dennis Damon's original bill would have outlawed all firearms in national park sites in Maine, essentially continuing a policy that had been in effect. Exceptions were allowed in the bill for guns carried by law enforcement officers and those that are packed so they can't be immediately used.

The bill sponsored by Damon, a Democrat whose district covers the state's only national park, came up as a federal law took effect in February allowing owners to take firearms into national parks -- provided state law doesn't say otherwise.

But as it emerged from the Maine House and Senate, the amended version allowed those with concealed weapons permits to bring guns into the oceanside park.

Also, it lacked a provision in Damon's bill that would have outlawed guns on the Appalachian Trail and St. Croix Island International Historic Site in eastern Maine.

Damon said Friday the bill doesn't accomplish what he intended.

"I still don't see any reason why there has to be concealed weapons going through the park," said Damon, who also dismissed arguments that park visitors need guns to protect themselves.

"It seems to me to make it a more dangerous place, a less pleasant experience, rather than a less dangerous place and a more pleasant experience, and I think that's the wrong direction," said the senator, noting that he is a gun owner.

Baldacci is expected to sign the bill next week, said spokesman David Farmer.

Gun control advocates were also disappointed.

"This a radical expansion of guns into national parks in Maine," said Cathie Whittemore of the National Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence. "The only thing this did was address the narrow issue of open carry in Acadia."

Whittemore also expressed disappointment that the two other areas that Damon's original bill covered were dropped from the bill.

A call and e-mail message left with the National Rifle Association was not immediately returned Friday, but the gun-rights group pushed hard for the federal policy to allow guns in parks. The NRA has cited a self-defense argument, saying crime does not stop at park gates.

Looks like I'll just stick with the White Mountians in NH after this ridiculousness!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Must carry concealed cause, you know, you don't want to scare away those big bad man-nimals like rapists, robbers, and murderers. That would be a tragedy...

Lameness is afoot...

Post imported post

That's fine with me. I already avoid the Northeast and this just gives me another reason to continue with my personal boycott. There are tons of places and things in the Northwest, Southwest and South that I still haven't seen. I can live the rest of my entire life without ever again setting foot in or spending money in any northeastern state.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Between Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina,and Tennessee, we've got plenty for you to see. And most of the time, you can carry your gun without problem...

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    That's fine with me. I already avoid the Northeast and this just gives me another reason to continue with my personal boycott. There are tons of places and things in the Northwest, Southwest and South that I still haven't seen. I can live the rest of my entire life without ever again setting foot in or spending money in any northeastern state.
    Hey! With the exception of this new Maine law, Maine, N.H. and Vermont have very good gun laws. Please don't paint us with the same brush Massa-blew-its and New York-less have used on themselves.