• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Without CCW Permit

cmlewis184

imported post

I am a new handgun owner and do not have my CCW permit yet. I am curious about what NC law says about open carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle. Also, are there places that are off limits to concealed carry that are lawful for open carry?

Last question: How long does it typically take for the Sheriff's office to issue a CCW permit in Forsyth county? On their website it says it can take up to 90 days.

r1dramma

imported post

cmlewis184 wrote:
I am a new handgun owner and do not have my CCW permit yet. I am curious about what NC law says about open carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle. Also, are there places that are off limits to concealed carry that are lawful for open carry?

Last question: How long does it typically take for the Sheriff's office to issue a CCW permit in Forsyth county? On their website it says it can take up to 90 days.
Click here I hope this helps! http://www.opencarry.org/nc.html

I live in Mecklenburg County it took me 30 days just to get an appt @ the sherriffs office so that I could apply for my CCW permit,then it took 90 daysfor me to recieve my permit but that was here in meck county!

S&W41mag

imported post

Forsyth County has been running about 30 days. You need to get to the Sheriff's Dept. before 10am to give them the paperwork and be fingerprinted to apply.

Sam

imported post

cmlewis184 wrote:
I am a new handgun owner Congrats! and do not have my CCW permit yet. I am curious about what NC law says about open carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle. Without a CCP your weapon must remain in plain view. On the seat next to you, dashboard etc. Also, are there places that are off limits to concealed carry that are lawful for open carry? The way the law is written, if a business has a no weapons posting then you may not conceal carry a weapon..... technically ok to OC. But most business owners don't know that. Chances are if they are "posted" they don't want you carrying any weapons on their property, just the criminals.

Last question: How long does it typically take for the Sheriff's office to issue a CCW permit in Forsyth county? I dunno. ^_^ LOL! On their website it says it can take up to 90 days.
Most (if not all) NC gun related statutes are in chapter 14.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014

Hope that helps and I'm not a Lawyer and all that Jazz. ^_^

hotrod08

imported post

"Transporting Weapons
Roy Cooper
Attorney General
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant
to ensure that their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon either on or
about them without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina concealed
handgun permit. Therefore, the person's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is
for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be
exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant
of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an
automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily
accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and
readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a
vehicle as, under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove
compartment; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant
of the vehicle. A previous opinion from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if
it were placed in a locked glove compartment, unless the key to the glove compartment was in
the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready access to it. A concern with this
mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different interpretations, based on
the various factors involved. Therefore, this may not be the most legally defensible method of
transporting a weapon, and is discouraged."

This is from the US Car/RV Carry (NORTH CAROLINA) PDF.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/39662-1.html

sovereigngrace

imported post

It depends on where you live, there could be certain ordinances that prohibit the open display of firearms.
If there isn't any ordinances, and you just want to carry in the car it has to be out in the open, (holstered, and on the dash is best place in my opinion). when you leave the car you can conceal it in the car. (lock box under the seat ect.)

As far as ocing in public, it is fine if there is no ordinances. You can not go into a place that's posted, and there is a bunch of other places you can't go. check out your local laws for that.