• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks can't stay out of gun debate, NYT says

nova

imported post

18. Starbucks can't stay out of gun debate, NYT says

I would also remind the press that Virginia gun owners have honored Starbucks' request to not be in the middle of a gun debate. It's the Brady's that have, as usual, been disrespectful towards Starbucks.

--

http://tinyurl.com/y8d7som

www.seattletimes.com

Starbucks can't stay out of gun debate, NYT says

Posted by Melissa Allison

"Starbucks' combination of a somewhat-pious corporate persona and its
massive growth has made it an apparently irresistible jumping-off
point for all kinds of debates and meditations," Rob Walker wrote in a
New York Times Sunday magazine item on Starbucks and the gun debate.

In what appears to be a gratuitous swipe, the piece says that when
sociologist Ray Oldenburg coined the term "third place," that place
between work and home that Starbucks wants to be, "It seems fair to
say that Starbucks is not what he had in mind." (Maybe the Times is
upset that Starbucks is now carrying The Wall Street Journal in 450
New York stores?)

He also points out that civil rights protests often focused on
restaurants and hotels and says, "Starbucks, in more ways than one, is
shorthand for 'everywhere.'" That makes it a target for both sides in
the gun debate, he wrote.

If that's true, I wonder why open carry advocates hung out first at
Peet's Coffee? OpenCarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk of Virginia
said they switched to Starbucks only after Peet's banned their openly
carried guns.

In fresher political news, French president Nicolas Sarkozy insisted
that "his choice of espresso machine be provided" at a visit to
Columbia University yesterday, the New York Post reports.
Unfortunately, it does not report which machine that is.

I don't know if its what Mike meant, but the way the article is written it makes it seem as though we all only started going to Starbucks after Peets banned OC. I assume what he was actually saying is that OCers in California switched, because of course, in Virginia, wtf is Peets Coffee? I guess its like one of those In and Outs or Carls Jr. west coast deals :p

TFred

imported post

IMHO, Peets is a Starbucks wanna-be that is thrilled to take advantage of any opportunity to be compared in any light, good or bad, or for that matter to even be mentioned in the same context as Starbucks.

TFred

richarcm

imported post

Carribou has better coffee (IMO) and is cheaper and has free WIFI. I go there often. But because I'm a caffeine feign I also make time for Starbucks. Its just more fun to OC to.

curtiswr

imported post

I like 7-11 for regular ol' coffee.

I go to Starbucks rarely. Most of the time I wait until Thanksgiving/Halloween and get their pumpkin spice latte. I've never had a problem in any Starbucks (or 7-11). In all honesty, since all this Starbucks hubbub started I don't think I've been in one.

driveramsII

imported post

I have OC'ed to starbucks on occasion, including this past weekend in VA Beach. Never had any problem, even this last time when the girl behind the counter had a very "sunshine and lollipops/hippie" look to her.

richarcm

imported post

Curtis wrote:
I like 7-11 for regular ol' coffee.

I go to Starbucks rarely. Most of the time I wait until Thanksgiving/Halloween and get their pumpkin spice latte. I've never had a problem in any Starbucks (or 7-11). In all honesty, since all this Starbucks hubbub started I don't think I've been in one.
Its always been an non-issue for me. The only comment I've ever received from an employee was a guy who told me not to shoot him, but he was simply trying to get a laugh.

bmartinxd45

imported post

I frequent both the Starbucks in Ashland and in Mechanicsville and have never had any problems. In Ashland I get the occasional :shock:from the out of towners coming off of I-95, but never any comments.

Venti double shot caramel latte for me. Iced coffee for the kid and one of those frappachino thingys for the wife. I don't get all that crappachino stuff but she digs it. However sometimes a guy just wants a regular cup of coffee, that i can get 7-11 or east coast. My 2 cents.