• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart in Baraboo

LOERetired

imported post

I spoke to the manager at Walmart in Baraboo today and come to find out he open carry's also. We had a good chat and I told him he should join Wisconsincarrry.org. After my incedentmanagement checked with the regional manager and found out thatWalmarthase no policy in place.

He has notified all managers that open carry in Wisconsin is legal and also told the managers that if they are uncomfortable with someone OCing in the store they can let the OCer know, however, he told me if I or anyone elso OCing isasked to put the gun in the car that they can refuse and Management will not force complience or file trespassing charges.

He basically stated that the evening the police was called, management wasn't aware of the store's policy or lack of, and because of that they called the police department, to inquire about allowing someone caring a gun in the store andif it was acceptable, and the police told the manager that they would check it out.

Don

SIGdude

imported post

Well, I know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow when I head into Wal-Mart in Baraboo.

And If the manager you spoke to was Don Padley, yeah, he is a pretty good guy.

MKEgal

He basically stated that the evening the police was called,
1) management wasn't aware of the store's policy or lack of, and because of that they called the police department,
2) to inquire about allowing someone caring a gun in the store andif it was acceptable, and the police told the manager that they would check it out.

So two mistakes adds up to your being inconvenienced & having to do some education.
They should know their own policies, and the police could have told them over the phone that OC is legal in WI... just like the Delavan & Madison police calltakers did. (Of course, that didn't stop the Madison crooks from harassing the OCers.)

Kloutier

I know at least in my area and forums there have many many conflicting questions with carrying in Wal-Mart. I sent Wal-Mart an email and got this in response I hope it helps:

Thank you for your message.

Dear Jacob,

In regards to your inquiry:

* There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

* As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Can I have the official Wal-mart Policy on open carry and conceal carry. Most I have heard is The store will follow state law. If it's legal to carry a firearm in that state then its not against company policies to carry in the store. However some stores are telling customers that its a company wide ban on all firearms.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it
immediately.

*** Walmart
Confidential ***