Thread: Generic response when asked if you are a LEO

Post imported post

I just got home from lunch at Quizno's located at Trop and Decatur where I was questioned for the first time by the proprietor of a business. I had just placed my order and walked to the other end of the counter to pay. The girl who took my order began to make my sandwich but the other girl who was working the cashier saw that I was carrying and went to the back to tell the owner/manager. The owner came out to the register and asked me if I was a police officer.

I responded generically, saying "I cannot answer that question." She said "Fair enough, have a nice day," then turned to the cashier and said "Ring him up."

I did not get the sense that they where in a panic or anything, none of them exhibited any fear or apprehension. There where no customers in the store save one kid filling out an application. I saw someone suggest on this forum to answer generically when asked if you where a LEO so I thought I would give it a try.

I think good attire tends to lend credibility to people open carrying. I wore Dickie's carpenter bluejeans, An olive green polo with a collar, nice belt and nice watch and shoes. If I where dressing like I was the lead character in Malibu's Most Wanted, the result may have been very different.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Why not take it as an opportunity to promote self-defense rights and tell her you are just an ordinary guy?

I remember one young woman who asked me if I was a cop. I told her I wasn't, then explained. By the time we were done she had decided to download the CCW permit from the state police website later that day.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Why not take it as an opportunity to promote self-defense rights and tell her you are just an ordinary guy?

I remember one young woman who asked me if I was a cop.* I told her I wasn't, then explained.* By the time we were done she had decided to download the CCW permit from the state police website later that day.
    Because I was hungry, and I don't believe I should have to justify a lawful act. I can see the value of trying to educate, but sometimes it's best to **** and eat.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Post imported post

I have to agree with NV Carrier. I pretty much did the same thing when questioned by two guys outside one of the Safeways here. The question was "Wow, dude...are you a cop?" First of all, I am not DUDE, but my response was "I really can't discuss that." They then asked if I was undercover. I said "It doesn't seem that I'd pull that off, right?" I kept walking.

I DO take the time to educate, but I was in such a hurry to get what I needed, and I had someone with me...I just didn't wanna talk right then. They were pollers anyway.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
    Citizen wrote:

I remember one young woman who asked me if I was a cop. I told her I wasn't, then explained. By the time we were done she had decided to download the CCW permit from the state police website later that day.
    Because I was hungry, and I don't believe I should have to justify a lawful act. I can see the value of trying to educate, but sometimes it's best to **** and eat.
    more likely they were trying to decide if you got a LEO discount

Post imported post

How about just saying no? Why pretend to so mysterious? That's just dumb.

Post imported post

Women dig mysterious men....and guns....and scars - thats why!

Post imported post

ijusam wrote:
    I occasionally go to Jean to shoot at the dry lake bed, and always stop at the gas station on the West side of the highway to fill a giant soda mug (it's an addiction). Occasionally they ask if I'm LEO and one time, I was told by the cashier that the reason she had asked was because LEO get free refills on their drinks. So, it is a possibility, though I'm not sure why the Quiznos cashier would need to get a manager for that.

Post imported post

gmijackso wrote:
    ijusam wrote:
    I occasionally go to Jean to shoot at the dry lake bed, and always stop at the gas station on the West side of the highway to fill a giant soda mug (it's an addiction). Occasionally they ask if I'm LEO and one time, I was told by the cashier that the reason she had asked was because LEO get free refills on their drinks. So, it is a possibility, though I'm not sure why the Quiznos cashier would need to get a manager for that.
    Cops are not supposed to take anything for free. I believe that can be considered a "bribe" or something to that effect.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Post imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
    I have to agree with NV Carrier. I pretty much did the same thing when questioned by two guys outside one of the Safeways here. The question was "Wow, dude...are you a cop?" First of all, I am not DUDE, but my response was "I really can't discuss that." They then asked if I was undercover. I said "It doesn't seem that I'd pull that off, right?" I kept walking.

I DO take the time to educate, but I was in such a hurry to get what I needed, and I had someone with me...I just didn't wanna talk right then. They were pollers anyway.
    I always will take time to educate as well if someone genuinly wants to know.But I get that are you a cop all the time. Or your undercover......Or yo dawg are you police??I don't respond to Yo dawg.Anyway if I were undercover I'm not very good at it since my sidearm is hanging out.

I had one guy pull me aside and in a very low voice say ...I just wanted to let you know your pistol is showing...Your kidding ..right??

Post imported post

My reply is a quick, unapologetic and almost inquizitive"No" when they ask if I'm a cop. I don't volunteer information, I like to play off each encounter as if it's the first time I'm being asked about the gun. They'll ask if I'm a cop, and I say no. Then they'll wait a second, thinking of their next question, which is usually, "Well why do you have a gun?" I reply "I carry for self defense, and becuase it's legal to open carry" and that seems to work out very well.

Never, ever do anything to imply or pretend you are a police officer. If someone believes you are a cop, that can cause issues later. Yeah, you never said you were police, but they might be under the impression that you are LEO and that could be enough to make a case for impersonation.

My .02, IANAL.

Post imported post

or this reply ......If I tell ya , I will have to kill ya...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

"You a LEO?"

"Nope. Aquarius."

Post imported post

Sure, we don't HAVE to respond. We're not OBLIGATED to justify a legal & constitutional act. The point is, however, that we CAN. We can choose to see the interactions as opportunities to forward our cause. A few years ago, I had no idea OC was legal and probably would have asked a very similar question.

Post imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
    "You a LEO?"

"Nope. Aquarius."
    ROFL