• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is Open Carry in California?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I have been told that when you Open Carry in California, you can't have ammunition in the firearm. Is this true? If it is, are you Californians doing anything about it? No offense to your state, but what good is having it if you can't have ammo in it? :question:

Ca Patriot

imported post

You can have ammo in a magazine on your persons. I have timed myself and I am draw and load in 2.1 seconds. That would be very useful is many situations.

Rich Keagy

imported post

I agree with you insofar as revolvers go. Autos are another matter. It takes a few seconds (for me) to slip in a magazine and rack the slide. Sometimes just displaying a gun, loaded or not, can prevent crime.
Now, I'm not defending California's laws, and we should be fighting this thing (the 'unloaded' part of CA's Open Carry legal landscape). California's legislators don't feel the populace can be trusted with guns for self defense.
I think everyone is waiting for June and SCOTUS to announce its decision regarding McDonald vs. Chicago.
I foresee a whole new slate of politicians appearing this November across our wonderful country, not just California.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Yeah, Hollowpoint...if you just practice reload drills constantly you can get that draw and load down. One of the things I think people lose sight of is that the threat will not always be coming right at you, in your face style, so you have a little more time. 2.1 seconds is fantastic if the skills are present.

wewd

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Is this true? If it is, are you Californians doing anything about it?

It's true, and no, nobody is doing anything about it.

We have penal code 12031, also known as the Mulford Act, which prohibits carrying a loaded firearm within the limits of an incorporated city or any area of unincorporated territory where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm. It was signed into law by "pro-gun" Governor Ronald Reagan in 1968. The law was created to disarm minorities who were lawfully carrying loaded firearms to defend themselves against racist and violent police. To that effect, the guns worked quite well, and the police requested "legislative assistance" which was granted. We've all been disarmed for the last four decades because racist cops got a bunch of racist politicians to pass what basically amounts to a Jim Crow law. That's how we roll in California.

Nobody is specifically doing anything about PC 12031, which is unconstitutional on its face; rather they are more concerned with getting shall-issue CCW permits which does nothing to address the fundamentals of the problem. PC 12031 is the primary problem, and PC 12025 (concealed carry law) and 626.9 (gun-free school zone) are the secondary problems. I will not be content until I can freely exercise my rights without having to first beg the government for a permission slip (there's a word for what that is; it's called a privilege).

Hollowpoint38

imported post

wewd wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Is this true? If it is, are you Californians doing anything about it?

It's true, and no, nobody is doing anything about it.

We have penal code 12031, also known as the Mulford Act, which prohibits carrying a loaded firearm within the limits of an incorporated city or any area of unincorporated territory where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm. It was signed into law by "pro-gun" Governor Ronald Reagan in 1968. The law was created to disarm minorities who were lawfully carrying loaded firearms to defend themselves against racist and violent police. To that effect, the guns worked quite well, and the police requested "legislative assistance" which was granted. We've all been disarmed for the last four decades because racist cops got a bunch of racist politicians to pass what basically amounts to a Jim Crow law. That's how we roll in California.

Nobody is specifically doing anything about PC 12031, which is unconstitutional on its face; rather they are more concerned with getting shall-issue CCW permits which does nothing to address the fundamentals of the problem. PC 12031 is the primary problem, and PC 12025 (concealed carry law) and 626.9 (gun-free school zone) are the secondary problems. I will not be content until I can freely exercise my rights without having to first beg the government for a permission slip (there's a word for what that is; it's called a privilege).

Exactly. We no longer have "rights". When we must ask the government for permission, it's no longer a right. WHERE in the constitution does it say this?

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed as long as the government gives them permission first. A permit must be issued."

I can't remember this being in there... oh yeah.... it's not!

Hollowpoint38

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
Yeah, Hollowpoint...if you just practice reload drills constantly you can get that draw and load down. One of the things I think people lose sight of is that the threat will not always be coming right at you, in your face style, so you have a little more time. 2.1 seconds is fantastic if the skills are present.
I practice but it still seems a bit iffy...

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Iopencarry wrote:
if yo don't believe how fast you can load with practice, just watch the link

That is amazing! I wasn't there so I don't know everything that happened in the video. I noticed him checking how to grab his gun before they did it. You won't get time like that in an emergency (more than likely you won't).

Also, does he have any training. Anyone with enough skill can do something like that with practice, but depending on what is happening, will you have the frame of mind to be that fast? Do you know how many people freeze up in an encounter.

Other than that, the video was amazing! Here is one even faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wewd wrote:
Until they teach this in school California doesn't get to claim any superiority to the deep south.

derek_nuevo

imported post

I was pulled over yesterday, and while talking with the cop about OC, he said you cannot have a loaded magazine on your person while carrying a gun. I asked him what about revolvers, he wasnt real sure, but he said if the bullets are on you, its considered being armed. Is he just bullsh*tting me so i wont carry a gun. Whats going on? I was thinking about printing out all the laws and everything, and then having the chief of police initial it or something, and carry it whenever I have my gun.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

derek_nuevo wrote:
I was pulled over yesterday, and while talking with the cop about OC, he said you cannot have a loaded magazine on your person while carrying a gun. I asked him what about revolvers, he wasnt real sure, but he said if the bullets are on you, its considered being armed. Is he just bullsh*tting me so i wont carry a gun. Whats going on? I was thinking about printing out all the laws and everything, and then having the chief of police initial it or something, and carry it whenever I have my gun.

If that is the case. You need to stand up and take action. We have the right to bare arms! If you don't bullets, why would you carry?

It's another way to control us and we don't need to stand for it!

A gun with no bullets is like a car with no engine. Why have it?

PincheOgro1

imported post

derek_nuevo wrote:
He was WRONG. You CAN have a loaded magazine, in it's own pouch. Just not IN the pistol, where the ammo is in a position to be fired.

PincheOgro1

imported post

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous...if I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

If you believe in the 2nd Amendment, please forward. 'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

'I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. To which I said I did. She said, "Well, I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I said, "of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets..." She then asked, "Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?" My reply was, "No, not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching afire either, but I have fire extinguishers around and THEY ARE ALL LOADED."

mjones

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I have been told that when you Open Carry in California, you can't have ammunition in the firearm. Is this true?

Close, but not quite.

It is prohibited to open carry while loaded in an incorporated city or in unincorporated territotry where discharge of a firearm is prohibited. By landmass, the overwhelming majority of CA it is possible to open carry while loaded.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

mjones wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I have been told that when you Open Carry in California, you can't have ammunition in the firearm. Is this true?

Close, but not quite.

It is prohibited to open carry while loaded in an incorporated city or in unincorporated territotry where discharge of a firearm is prohibited. By landmass, the overwhelming majority of CA it is possible to open carry while loaded.
So if you defend yourself and fire at a person within city limits, they could charge you with discharging a firearm in public, or something along those lines?

mjones

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

Close, but not quite.

So if you defend yourself and fire at a person within city limits, they could charge you with discharging a firearm in public, or something along those lines?

Only if there is a statute against discharge without a self defense exemption. It wouldn't surprise me if most cities anywhere in the country has similar laws. But this is really a tangent to your question. You asked about loaded vs unloaded.

The law with regard to loaded/unloaded is California Penal Code 12031. Here's a link if you want to check it out for yourself: http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=66356210717+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

There are several exemptions in there for within city limits...for example, its legal to load for immediate self defense 12031(j) or at your home/campsite 12031(l)

Hollowpoint38

imported post

mjones wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

Close, but not quite.

Only if there is a statute against discharge without a self defense exemption. It wouldn't surprise me if most cities anywhere in the country has similar laws. But this is really a tangent to your question. You asked about loaded vs unloaded.

The law with regard to loaded/unloaded is California Penal Code 12031. Here's a link if you want to check it out for yourself: http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=66356210717+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

There are several exemptions in there for within city limits...for example, its legal to load for immediate self defense 12031(j) or at your home/campsite 12031(l)
That's a lot of reading. I scanned through but I'll read it throughout the next couple days. Thanx for the help!