Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New handgun. $700 and under.

Post imported post

What is a good handgun to opencarry with and conceal carry with. Im just looking for a new gun so i can show off with it at the range. I love my glocks but there isnt another glock i want. So i need yalls help.Right now, i have a glock 17, glock 26and a ruger P95.Any suggestions.

Banned

Post imported post

It seems you like 9mm handguns. Have youtried kahr? They are thinner than the glock and ruger. PM9 or MK9 are the small 9mm models. P9 and the k9 are the "midsize". The T9 is the large model.

p=polymer

k=steel

t=target

cw=value version

I think the p9 is a great gun for carry. It is light and thin.

I used to own a p9 and currently own a couple k40's and a k9.

They can be had used for around $400+ on gunbroker.

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    What is a good handgun to opencarry with and conceal carry with. Im just looking for a new gun so i can show off with it. I love my glocks but there isnt another glock i want. So i need yalls help.Right now, i have a glock 17, glock 26and a ruger P95.Any suggestions.
    The three guns you have are perfectly adequate for your purpose. If anything, acquire another G17 and G26 as backups in case of failure or loss. If anything, replace the P95 with something smaller, such as a pocket gun (like a J-Frame or Kahr).

An even better option would be to seek training and buy ammo.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Post imported post

You need a nice wheel gun.

Ruger GP-100 in 3 inch is concealable and pleasant to shoot, but might be harder to find

Ruger SP-101 is good for OC or CC in any of its configurations

Post imported post

well if you need one under $700 i second the wheelgun. a nice j-frame s&w or ruger sp101 would do very nicely.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    What is a good handgun to opencarry with and conceal carry with. Im just looking for a new gun so i can show off with it. I love my glocks but there isnt another glock i want. So i need yalls help.Right now, i have a glock 17, glock 26and a ruger P95.Any suggestions.
    We hope you're not serious about this.. perhaps a little tongue in cheek humor, eh?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    tntorqu wrote:
    We hope you're not serious about this.. perhaps a little tongue in cheek humor, eh?
    i meant to say so i can show off with it at the range. My mind was faster than typing. But ill edit it.

Post imported post

I always enjoy expanding the collection.

Try looking at CZ's, they have both alloy and polymer frames in regular and compact sizes in both 9 and 40. They're reliable, accurate and still building their following here in the US so you can "show it off" at the range for some mileage. Also, if you like polymers,the S&W M&P is available in both 9 and 40 with full size and compact models.

Have fun feeding your addiction!

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    tntorqu wrote:
    i meant to say so i can show off with it at the range. My mind was faster than typing. But ill edit it.
    Oh, Ok... that works.

kwikrnu mentioned a T9 Kahr and I can attest to the fact that that piece is a fine looking specimen of a semi-auto DAO pistol. I have one with night sights and it's just too pretty to carry - more like suitable for framing.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

You can get many types of guns for under $700.

If you go to gunbroker.com and search for firearms with a price under $700 you would probably get over a thousand hits.

If you go used you could almost get anything. For new, checkout H&K models, 1911 models, S&W, etc. (Sig P250 is under $700 too)

I would decide what you want then watch the auctions for a week or three and see if a good deal comes up on GunBroker.com.

So the real decision is what you want and then wait for a good deal to pop up. I was looking for a gun with no hurry to buy and found one at a local gun show for $838 but since I wasn't in any hurry didn't buy it. A couple weeks later I bid $565 for the same "new" model and won. Some of those no-reserve auctions are great!

Post imported post

Ruger GP100 with 4" barrel.

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:

And if you get one with the new Hogue grips on it... take them off and replace them with what they originally offered for the GP-100s:

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grip-w_-...uctinfo/70083/

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    Perhaps one of the finest .357 Magnum DA revolvers you can buy. It grew out of the highly successful Security Six, one of which I have in SS and made in 1976.

America First!

Post imported post

I don't have one, but my brother is very fond of his Kahr .45. Nice little weapon. great for CC. And the price is reasonable.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

If you don't have one go with a 45acp, mainly a 1911. Everyone needs one of these.

You can get the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for about 600 to 650.00 very nice handguns.

Right now they come with a holster and double mag pouch.

Post imported post

Check out Taurus's semi-autos. I have a Millennium Pro in .40 and a PT1911. Both great quality guns, both under $700.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Post imported post

Consider a Browning or FN hi-power, both should come in at your price point and are wonderful pistols.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

KingfisherS wrote:
    If you don't have one go with a 45acp, mainly a 1911. Everyone needs one of these.

You can get the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for about 600 to 650.00 very nice handguns.

Right now they come with a holster and double mag pouch.
    What do you think about the holster?
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

It is plastic and leaves the most of the muzzle exposed, but seems pretty solid. I have used it a few times as it is the only one I have for the gun. Not bad for free though.

Post imported post

thebigsd wrote:
    Check out Taurus's semi-autos. I have a Millennium Pro in .40 and a PT1911. Both great quality guns, both under $700.
    6 out of 10 of the Taurus Millenium Pro .40's have problems. -I've got one and have researched it (unfortunately, after the purchase) Stove-piping, dropping mags, metal shavings between the frame and slides, -hate it but that's my opinion, and an opinion based on research and experience is better than without.

Go XD/XDM -that's what I'm trading my PT-140 in for. -Again, IMHO

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

New Remington 1911-R1 .45 ACP is under $700.00

Too soon to see one hands on yet, but looking forward to it.

http://www.remington1911r1.thegunsou...7tPrQ%2bXu0%3d

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Consider the following: Ruger SP 101, Kahr K9, Rock Island Compact Tactical 45 ACP.

All very fine firearms that provide a variety of calibers to choose from. Also all steel, I'm not partial to polymer guns. Just MHO.

Post imported post

Well on Taurus, problems may exist with some of the other models, but their 92 clones (and variants) are quite nice. (I have a PT92SS -- stainless, 5" barrel 17+1)

For something interesting -- I haven't seen one yet, but I'm tempted to go find one -- the PT917. 92-based 9mm, 4" barrel and standard with 19 round mags.

They also have a 92-style action in .40 (pt-100).

I like my 92 -- easy to shoot at the range, easy to take care of (stainless and takes literally seconds to field strip) and I like the Taurus flavor with the safety/decock on the frame instead of the slide better.

Not the most concealable (full frame ftw) but a nice OC/range piece.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I need to throw another vote in for a .45 1911 clone. I would strongly suggest you look at the Rock Island Armory 1911s made by Armscor. You can find most of their models for under $500 shipped. Some die hard (read: snobby) 1911 owners think that if you pay less than $1000 for a 1911 , it's a piece of junk. If you do some quick reading, you'll find out that Rock Island Armory 1911s are blowing that theory out of the water, with a big ol' 45 caliber splash! The vast majority of RIA owners have 100% reliable, extremely accurate guns. The ones that don't, have a lifetime warranty at their disposal. You can't beat that!

I own quite a few different handguns, but so far they've all been modern, polymer-framed semi-autos. I had been drooling over the 1911 for some time...but I just wasn't sure about it. I finally picked up RIA's tactical model in matte nickel, and I think it's the best $500 I've ever spent! I still love my plastic guns, but there's something classic, beautiful, and powerful about a 1911. Nothing shoots quite like them, either.

If the 1911 just doesn't interest you, I would also consider a wheel gun. I haven't purchased one myself, yet, but I think that's just another toy that every man should have at least one of lol.

Glocks are great, modern firearms, but there's something to say about handgun designs that have literally been around for centuries. Designs that are still accurate, reliable, and practical.

You could go real old school and buy a nice flint lock! Or better yet, build your own!

Post imported post

1911!!!

they have the trigger and inherent accuracy to put those 230g slugs exactly where they need to be.

I always hear people say

".45??? why not carry a smaller, easier to handle caliber...because where you hit the target is more important that what you shot at it"

and I just respond

"Well, I just train with and carry a 1911, cause then im hitting right where I want to and im hitting it with 230 grains of fat .45."

REMEMBER

A 9mm may expand, but a .45 will never shrink, and no matter what anyone says, there is no replacement for displacement.

OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast