• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New handgun. $700 and under.

Bagman

imported post

Consider the following: Ruger SP 101, Kahr K9, Rock Island Compact Tactical 45 ACP.

All very fine firearms that provide a variety of calibers to choose from. Also all steel, I'm not partial to polymer guns. Just MHO.

squisher

imported post

Well on Taurus, problems may exist with some of the other models, but their 92 clones (and variants) are quite nice. (I have a PT92SS -- stainless, 5" barrel 17+1)

For something interesting -- I haven't seen one yet, but I'm tempted to go find one -- the PT917. 92-based 9mm, 4" barrel and standard with 19 round mags.

They also have a 92-style action in .40 (pt-100).

I like my 92 -- easy to shoot at the range, easy to take care of (stainless and takes literally seconds to field strip) and I like the Taurus flavor with the safety/decock on the frame instead of the slide better.

Not the most concealable (full frame ftw) but a nice OC/range piece.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I need to throw another vote in for a .45 1911 clone. I would strongly suggest you look at the Rock Island Armory 1911s made by Armscor. You can find most of their models for under $500 shipped. Some die hard (read: snobby) 1911 owners think that if you pay less than $1000 for a 1911 , it's a piece of junk. If you do some quick reading, you'll find out that Rock Island Armory 1911s are blowing that theory out of the water, with a big ol' 45 caliber splash! The vast majority of RIA owners have 100% reliable, extremely accurate guns. The ones that don't, have a lifetime warranty at their disposal. You can't beat that!

I own quite a few different handguns, but so far they've all been modern, polymer-framed semi-autos. I had been drooling over the 1911 for some time...but I just wasn't sure about it. I finally picked up RIA's tactical model in matte nickel, and I think it's the best $500 I've ever spent! I still love my plastic guns, but there's something classic, beautiful, and powerful about a 1911. Nothing shoots quite like them, either.

If the 1911 just doesn't interest you, I would also consider a wheel gun. I haven't purchased one myself, yet, but I think that's just another toy that every man should have at least one of lol.

Glocks are great, modern firearms, but there's something to say about handgun designs that have literally been around for centuries. Designs that are still accurate, reliable, and practical.

You could go real old school and buy a nice flint lock! Or better yet, build your own!

groovedrummer

imported post

1911!!!

they have the trigger and inherent accuracy to put those 230g slugs exactly where they need to be.

I always hear people say

".45??? why not carry a smaller, easier to handle caliber...because where you hit the target is more important that what you shot at it"

and I just respond

"Well, I just train with and carry a 1911, cause then im hitting right where I want to and im hitting it with 230 grains of fat .45."

REMEMBER

A 9mm may expand, but a .45 will never shrink, and no matter what anyone says, there is no replacement for displacement.

cscitney87

imported post

2ndammendment wrote:
thebigsd wrote:
Check out Taurus's semi-autos. I have a Millennium Pro in .40 and a PT1911. Both great quality guns, both under $700.

6 out of 10 of the Taurus Millenium Pro .40's have problems. -I've got one and have researched it (unfortunately, after the purchase) Stove-piping, dropping mags, metal shavings between the frame and slides, -hate it but that's my opinion, and an opinion based on research and experience is better than without.

Go XD/XDM -that's what I'm trading my PT-140 in for. -Again, IMHO
Really happened to me. My PT745 experienced dropped mags until I learned proper position for my hands. Stove-pipes a few hollow points, but never FMJ ball ammo. Metal shavings between the frame and slides when I improperly field stripped for the first time. I never released the trigger mechanism; which in turn forced the slide to grind into the frame rails. I had metal shavings everywhere and still do. All that being true, My PT745 has not jammed in the last 150 rounds + I certainly never suffered a jam that wasn't immediately fixed by cycling the slide.