• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty Holster Protest

DJEEPER

imported post

Im just wondering who among us are participating in this?

"
College students across America will once again strap on empty holsters in an act of silent protest against laws and policies banning licensed concealed carry on campus.
The protest, sponsored by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), will take place April 5-9, 2010 and comes on the heels of college administrators discriminating against concealed carry permit holders, and censoring students who disagree.
According to the group, colleges have repeatedly ignored or attempted to keep students from discussing the issue. In Pennsylvania, one college banned SCCC member Christine Brashier from handing out fliers about the group, stating, “You may want to discuss this topic but the college does not, and you cannot make us.” Another college in Texas tried to block students from wearing the symbolic empty holsters on campus until a federal judge ruled that their ban violated the First Amendment. And a recent decision at Colorado State University overturned a long-standing policy that allowed concealed carry, despite the fact that crime on campus decreased rapidly since allowing concealed carry on campus, and no problems were reported among permit holders. The ban was opposed by students, Student Government, and local law enforcement.
“Colleges aren’t content to ban the right to self-defense anymore,” said David Burnett, a spokesman for SCCC. “Now they’re trying to suspend the right to freedom of speech. They want to silence us and hope we’ll go away. It’s outrageous and our membership cares too much about self defense to remain silent.”
The group was formed shortly after the Virginia Tech shooting, and advocates that persons with state-issued permits be allowed to carry concealed handguns on college grounds.
“Compulsory defenselessness doesn’t make students safer, it makes them less safe,” said Burnett. “A piece of paper taped to the door saying guns are against the rules has yet to stop a criminal, whether a mass shooter or an armed rapist. It merely assures the criminal that victims are incapable of effective resistance. There are no security checkpoints or metal detectors to pass through in order to enter a college campus and absolutely no way for colleges to control what a criminal brings on campus. Until they can take responsibility for our safety and guarantee our protection, colleges can’t be allowed to deny us the right to self-defense.”"

from here: http://concealedcampus.org/

nova

imported post

gun owners are the protesters against the healthcare takeover outside of the Capitol.

Universities are members of congress who rammed healthcare down our throats.

In short, they don't care, and won't change, no matter how much we protest.

We need a bill passed, or someone willing to take legal action.

edit: IMO

Thundar

imported post

Curtis wrote:
Why not Students for Open Carry?

:lol:

They are trying an incrementalist approach.

Concealed Carry = Trained

Concealed Carry = Background Check

Concealed Carry = 21

Concealed Carry = Not visible and scaring sheeple

Not saying I agree, but you asked.

VApatriot

imported post

Let's say, simply for argument's sake, that a student at apublic college or university in Virginia regularly carries a legally concealed firearm against school policy. Would it be advisable for such a person toopenly wear an empty holster while also carrying a concealed firearm?

Would the presence of an empty holster give the campus police probable cause to conduct a stop?

Would the police have any legal reason to conduct a search of an individual if that person immediately produced his or her CHP?

t33j

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Let's say, simply for argument's sake, that a student at a public college or university in Virginia regularly carries a legally concealed firearm against school policy.  Would it be advisable for such a person to openly wear an empty holster while also carrying a concealed firearm?

Would the presence of an empty holster give the campus police probable cause to conduct a stop?

Would the police have any legal reason to conduct a search of an individual if that person immediately produced his or her CHP?
Carrying on campus is not illegal in Virginia. What RAS would they have to detain, or probable cause to arrest?

Perhaps there is some school policy requiring students to submit to a search when requested by police. I know my University requires us to produce school ID when on campus.

In any case I usually leave my gun in the car so I'm always carrying an empty holster at a minimum. Usually I just throw my shirt over it but make no other efforts to conceal it. I don't really care who sees it if I happen to bend down or whatever.

VApatriot

DJEEPER

imported post

wooowww...

I may or may not have had a pellet rifle in the back seat of my jeep for a week while trying to meet up with a friend to make a trade.

i didnt think an unloaded pellet rifle would be an issue on college campus if its in your car?

Doesnt the transportation of a weapon laws come into play here?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Students really take a chance they will be met with opposition to their holster protests. If a student is enrolled in a specialized program and the director of the program does not like guns it could end their student status. Many courses are not judged strictly by objective standards but subjectively.

hunter45

imported post

DJEEPER wrote:
wooowww...

I may or may not have had a pellet rifle in the back seat of my jeep for a week while trying to meet up with a friend to make a trade.

i didnt think an unloaded pellet rifle would be an issue on college campus if its in your car?

That school is in DC, that's why it was such a big deal.

curtiswr

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Why not Students for Open Carry?

:lol:

They are trying an incrementalist approach.

Concealed Carry = Trained

Concealed Carry = Background Check

Concealed Carry = 21

Concealed Carry = Not visible and scaring sheeple

Not saying I agree, but you asked.
Exactly.

Concealed means concealed. Why openly carry an empty holster to try and gain momentum for concealing on campus... when well... concealed means concealed. ;)

And as an aside: having a concealed carry permit does not necessarily mean one is trained.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Let's say, simply for argument's sake, that a student at apublic college or university in Virginia regularly carries a legally concealed firearm against school policy. Would it be advisable for such a person toopenly wear an empty holster while also carrying a concealed firearm?
IF I were carrying concealed, I probably wouldn't wear an empty holster for this protest. Just like IF I were carrying concealed, I wouldn't wear a Glock t-shirt or an NRA hat. I wouldn't wear or do anything that would even hint towards anything gun related. Concealed means Concealed, so why bring attention to yourself?

I don't have a CHP so I don't have to worry about making such a decision. Unfortunately that means I'm a state-guaranteed victim. :?

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
I don't have a CHP so I don't have to worry about making such a decision. Unfortunately that means I'm a state-guaranteed victim. :?
Life gets reallyhard when you have too manychoices and you have to make toughdecisions all by yourself. That is whywe need a strong government that can make all our decisions for us, just like the Germans had back in the 1930s and 40s.

*sarcasm (in case anyone missed it)

mpd8488

imported post

DJEEPER wrote:
wooohttp://www...

Don't be so sure. Not long ago a group at William and Mary's campus had to get special permission to posses nerf guns on campus. Yes, nerf guns. :banghead:

I've tried in vain to get conservative groups on campus to get involved in the right to keep and bear arms. I even got a grant and brought Larry Pratt as a guest speaker on campus last year and nobody in the college republicans even gave me the courtesy of responding to my emails. I've wanted to organize an empty holster protest for some time but I can't get more than 3 or 4 people committed. In my opinion it just isn't worth doing unless I have a significant number of people to actually make an impact.

hunter45

imported post

mpd8488 wrote:
Don't be so sure.  Not long ago a group at William and Mary's campus had to get special permission to posses  nerf guns on campus.  Yes, nerf guns. :banghead:

Geez. My dad and his roommate kept their 12 gauges in their dorm room at William & Mary. Although this was back in the '80s.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mpd8488 wrote:
DJEEPER wrote:
wooohttp://www...

Don't be so sure. Not long ago a group at William and Mary's campus had to get special permission to posses nerf guns on campus. Yes, nerf guns. :banghead:

I've tried in vain to get conservative groups on campus to get involved in the right to keep and bear arms. I even got a grant and brought Larry Pratt as a guest speaker on campus last year and nobody in the college republicans even gave me the courtesy of responding to my emails. I've wanted to organize an empty holster protest for some time but I can't get more than 3 or 4 people committed. In my opinion it just isn't worth doing unless I have a significant number of people to actually make an impact.
You are on the outside looking in - the view is very different from that perspective.

I actually remember when college students were the leading edge of strong, independent thinkers - taught and encouraged to think "outside the box."

What I hear and see all to often now is the wind blowing through the branches - not even the sound of crickets chirping. :(

We are stamping out robots - good little clones. How does one nurture and develop a functional cognitive process by swallowing the Kool Aid.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

mpd8488 wrote:
Don't get me started on WaM. I have a friend that goes there and a friend that used to go there who are/were constantly worrying about their safety.

Actually, I think I have a couple of threads in the SCCC subforum here.