• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty Holster Protest

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
mpd8488 wrote:
DJEEPER wrote:
wooohttp://www...

I may or may not have had a pellet rifle in the back seat of my jeep for a week while trying to meet up with a friend to make a trade.

i didnt think an unloaded pellet rifle would be an issue on college campus if its in your car?

Doesnt the transportation of a weapon laws come into play here?
Don't be so sure. Not long ago a group at William and Mary's campus had to get special permission to posses nerf guns on campus. Yes, nerf guns. :banghead:

I've tried in vain to get conservative groups on campus to get involved in the right to keep and bear arms. I even got a grant and brought Larry Pratt as a guest speaker on campus last year and nobody in the college republicans even gave me the courtesy of responding to my emails. I've wanted to organize an empty holster protest for some time but I can't get more than 3 or 4 people committed. In my opinion it just isn't worth doing unless I have a significant number of people to actually make an impact.
You are on the outside looking in - the view is very different from that perspective.

I actually remember when college students were the leading edge of strong, independent thinkers - taught and encouraged to think "outside the box."

What I hear and see all to often now is the wind blowing through the branches - not even the sound of crickets chirping. :(

We are stamping out robots - good little clones. How does one nurture and develop a functional cognitive process by swallowing the Kool Aid.

Yata hey
As is so often the case Grape, your post says a lot.
Unfortunately it's not only College Students, it is much of society but narrowing it down to gunowners, it says volumes.

I was talking to someone the other day about the future of gun laws in Virginia and told him that this last General Assembly session was a disaster and I suspected the next one would be worse.

What we have are a lot of out of the box talkers who are in the box do'ers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
mpd8488 wrote:
DJEEPER wrote:
wooohttp://www...

I may or may not have had a pellet rifle in the back seat of my jeep for a week while trying to meet up with a friend to make a trade.

i didnt think an unloaded pellet rifle would be an issue on college campus if its in your car?

Doesnt the transportation of a weapon laws come into play here?
Don't be so sure. Not long ago a group at William and Mary's campus had to get special permission to posses nerf guns on campus. Yes, nerf guns. :banghead:

I've tried in vain to get conservative groups on campus to get involved in the right to keep and bear arms. I even got a grant and brought Larry Pratt as a guest speaker on campus last year and nobody in the college republicans even gave me the courtesy of responding to my emails. I've wanted to organize an empty holster protest for some time but I can't get more than 3 or 4 people committed. In my opinion it just isn't worth doing unless I have a significant number of people to actually make an impact.
You are on the outside looking in - the view is very different from that perspective.

I actually remember when college students were the leading edge of strong, independent thinkers - taught and encouraged to think "outside the box."

What I hear and see all to often now is the wind blowing through the branches - not even the sound of crickets chirping. :(

We are stamping out robots - good little clones. How does one nurture and develop a functional cognitive process by swallowing the Kool Aid.

Yata hey
As is so often the case Grape, your post says a lot.
Unfortunately it's not only College Students, it is much of society but narrowing it down to gunowners, it says volumes.

I was talking to someone the other day about the future of gun laws in Virginia and told him that this last General Assembly session was a disaster and I suspected the next one would be worse.

What we have are a lot of out of the box talkers who are in the box do'ers.
I apologize for the analogy, but your last line causes me to think of my cat and how she acts; then covering up what she does - inside the box. :)

Yata hey

Regum

imported post

I carry an empty holster whenever I'm on grounds in Charlottesville simply because of the language in the weapons policy there. When I leave my car to enter a UVa "facility" I have to leave my weapon behind. I am temped to sit with the CLEO to ask about their regulations in more detail since their policy is not totally exclusionary. I'm not active in any protest, however, it's just the course of my day.