• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Anyone Planning to Open Carry At 2nd Amendment March This Weekend?

GoldCoaster

imported post

This is absolutely true, please DON'T carry to the capitol. This would be the kind of news footage (open carrier taken down by capitol police at a 2A march) that the anti's would parade all over "see see, they are a danger to themselves and the children!"

The CCDL will be there and we are planning an OPEN HOLSTER (EMPTY) carry if you want to - to point out the place where our pistol *should* be.

I'm going to put my copy of the Pocket Constitution courtesy of the Heritage foundation in my holster.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

per CT law weapons are only prohibited inside the Capitol building. The law does not cover weapons outside the building.

Sec. 2-1e. Interference with the legislative process; firearms; dangerous or deadly weapons; explosives; felony. (a) A person is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, either by force, physical interference, fraud, intimidation or by means of any independently unlawful act, prevents or attempts to prevent any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly, either house thereof or any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof, from performing any of his official functions, powers or duties.

(b) A person is guilty of coercing performance when he, alone or in concert with others, either by force, physical interference, fraud, intimidation or by means of any unlawful act, compels or induces any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly, either house thereof or any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof to perform any acts as a member, officer or employee against his will.

(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 29-35 and 53-206, (1) a person, other than a state or local police officer, a member of the Office of State Capitol Police or a police officer of any other state or of the federal government, who is carrying out official duties in this state, or any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he is actually engaged in assisting such officer, while such officer is in the performance of his official duties or any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined by section 27-103, or of this state, as defined by section 27-2, in the performance of official duties, or any veteran, as defined by section 27-103, performing in uniform as a member of an official ceremonial unit, is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, brings into, or possesses within, any building in which the chamber of either house of the General Assembly is located or in which the official office of any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly or the office of any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof is located or any building in which a committee of the General Assembly is holding a public hearing, any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, from which a shot may be discharged, or a billy; and (2) any person is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, brings into, or possesses within, any such building, a switchblade, gravity knife, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, or any explosive or incendiary or other dangerous device.

(d) The violation of any provision of this section is a class D felony.

Rich B

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
per CT law weapons are only prohibited inside the Capitol building.  The law does not cover weapons outside the building.
Thanks for the clarification.

This is the part I don't understand about the whole march. Why would we have a march to show how we don't practice our freedom?

You won't find me marching around Hartford not carrying.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

You know what is funny is that one can't get into the DPS HQ without going through the metal detectors and the trooper on duty but one can walk right into the Legislative Office Building. There are no metal detectors there.

BTW the DPS HQ screening is a joke. I have been there countless times and noticed first hand the incompetence at the counter. I walked through the detector on once occasion and when it went off I told the trooper (who was still behind the desk) that I had steel toe shoes. He said ok and never wanded me. On another time I checked in and than went out to my car. When I came back in the trooper told me to just walk around the detector and that I was ok. Another time I took everything out of my pockets and put the stuff in the acro bins on the counter, walked through the detector and then put everything back in my pockets. The trooper never looked in the bin and when I asked her if she was going to look she said nope. She was too busy flirting with an employee there.

Rich B

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
The CCDL will be there and we are planning an OPEN HOLSTER   (EMPTY) carry if you want to - to point out the place where our pistol *should* be.
Where are you getting this information? I have not seen anything about this and the official CCDL announcement says nothing about this.

http://ccdl.us/aboutus/events/123-connecticut-second-amendment-march

What would be the point of carrying empty holster when there don't appear to be any laws against open carry at the place of the rally?

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Maybe Goldcoaster got it from this posted on the 2nd Amendment March Website under Connecticut:

Submitted by kevin_borgnis on Thu, 12/17/2009 - 12:27

Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010
Time: 1pm to 4pm

210 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106

Firearms at the Capitol:
No firearms are permitted in the Capitol building or on the Capitol Grounds. If you would like to show your support for the right to bear arms, please consider wearing an empty holster.

Directions to the Capitol: http://www.cga.ct.gov/capitoltours/directions.htm

Parking at the Capitol:
I must ask that you don't park at the Capitol Parking Garage. Instead, I offer you a map of parking locations surrounding the Capitol and Bushnell Park.
http://www.enjoyhartford.com/pdfs/parkingmap.pdf

If you want to share this information over the web, consider using http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com/connecticut/hartford-march

Rich B

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Maybe Goldcoaster got it from this posted on the 2nd Amendment March Website under Connecticut:

This kind of confusion is symptomatic of terrible leadership and organization. This could potentially either end up in disaster or in a weak rally.

What is the official stance on this from the CCDL?

dcmdon

imported post

Until 28 March the CCDL web site unfortunately had very little specific information on this march. All communications just said "hartford April 10th", when they should have said "North side of capitol lawn, hartford at 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM "

I emailed them when I first saw that and it was not updated for weeks. But I digress. They are imperfect. We all are. The simple answer is that I should help them out and asisst with this stuff. They are doing a great job considering that they have jobs and families to attend to.

This kind of imperfect communication is typical of a truly GRASS ROOTS movement.

Either way, spread the word. NORTH LAWN at 1:00 PM.

Re open carrying.
I've thought about this. I think our goal here should be to appear mainstream and unthreatening. With that in mind, I will be forgoing the multicam BDUs for a blue blazer, white oxford, and khaki gabardine slacks.

This is an opportunity to get some press. We need to comport ourselves appropriately. Leave the "kill them all and let god sort them out" as well as the "this body protected by smith and wesson" T-shirts at home.

There are other times for "in your face" open carry events. Those would be small meet and greet public events (how about collecting money for a charity in front of a stop and shop or something like that) as well as legal events intended to incite some kind of law enforcement response.

By the way, I will be carrying concealed. Its legal, so I will do it. I just won't flaunt it. I think for an event like this a nice piece like my Les Baer might be just the ticket.

Rich B

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
Re open carrying. 
I've thought about this.  I think our goal here should be to appear mainstream and unthreatening.  With that in mind, I will be forgoing the multicam BDUs for a blue blazer, white oxford, and khaki gabardine slacks. 

This is an opportunity to get some press.  We need to comport ourselves appropriately.  Leave the "kill them all and let god sort them out" as well as the "this body protected by smith and wesson"  T-shirts at home.

You seem to relate bad dress to open carry. These two items should be mutually exclusive all of the time, not just at an event like this. In fact, you don't even seem to give an opinion on open carry, you are just ranting about people who dress poorly (which I, of course, agree with).

There are other times for "in your face" open carry events.  Those would be small meet and greet public events (how about collecting money for a charity in front of a stop and shop or something like that) as well as legal events intended to incite some kind of law enforcement response. 
If there is no demonstration of our second amendment rights, then what is the point? Why would this be covered by the media? What would it say to anyone?

Without demonstrating those rights, we are just a bunch of people standing around on some grass.

dcmdon

imported post

Its not a matter of bad dress, but appropriate dress. How we dress affects how others perceive us. One purpose of this march is to try to gain support among the great majority who doesn't really think much about this.

I own plenty of camo. I won't be wearing it Saturday.

Re carrying concealed, I may not want to demonstrate my 2nd Amendment right, I may simply be content with exercising it.

Re my position on open carry. Frankly, I don't have the balls to do it alone. I have a family with 2 young girls. I can't afford to have my permit pulled because I need to be able to legally carry to protect my family. There is safety in numbers.

If 100 of us all showed up open carrying, you can bet your ass they aren't going to arrest us all. If 1 shows up, and its me, I would worry.

I am not at a point in my life where I can engage in risky civil disobedience. I have people counting on me. Prior to kids, and after the kids are in college, I'm happy to lead with my actions. But not now.

Rich B

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
I own plenty of camo.  I won't be wearing it Saturday. 
Nor should you be wearing it anytime you are open carrying (representing us).

Re carrying concealed,
I never brought up concealed carry. What is this in regards to?
I may not want to demonstrate my 2nd Amendment right,  I may simply be content with exercising it. 
Then there is no point in 'marching'.

There is safety in numbers. 
Right. Which is the point of a march.

If 100 of us all showed up open carrying, you can bet your ass they aren't going to arrest us all.
Then why would we not all open carry?

I am not at a point in my life where I can engage in risky civil disobedience.
Obeying the law is not 'civil disobedience', quite the opposite actually. 

Rich B

imported post

Wearing camo and other perceived military gear while open carrying supports the stereotype that people have about pro-gun people anyway. This hurts the cause. The sheeple in this state don't want a bunch of guys wearing camo and tactical gear running around with guns no matter how comfortable we might be with the idea.

Dressing nicely and composing yourself well helps the cause and shows respect to the fellow people in the community you are representing.

Remember, it is not about your personal individuality, it is about the cause. The cause is bigger than you.

cbnlnk121

imported post

My personal take on the event is it should be just like ANY other march. As with signs and such that simply state the points we are tring to get across to the public.

The dress should be respectful as if you are/were military it might help to wear your honored dress. Everyone else should just wear what they would wear if you goto church meaning nothing torn and or threating.

Let's keep this simple and see if people notice or not. If the police DO show up we are all not doing anything wrong. Just keep them holstered yet in plain sight. No arguing or profanity as that makes it seem that gun owners are all 'un-inteligent'.

Unfortuatly I will not be able to attend as I will be out of town but I do hope this turns out well.My hope is thatwe can make this either an annual event. If I might take from an old saying on NBC .. "The More you know ... "

EDIT ADD:

Further more I feel we should contact the local HPD and notify them (if haven't already) to let them them know we are using our right to assemble. Just to give them a heads up so if they DO recieve concerned phone calls, we are covered and protected by law.

Rich B

imported post

cbnlnk121 wrote:
Let's keep this simple and see if people notice or not. If the police DO show up we are all not doing anything wrong. Just keep them holstered yet in plain sight. No arguing or profanity as that makes it seem that gun owners are all 'un-inteligent'.
I agree. I just wish it was clear what the official CCDL stance is, and I hope it aligns with what you said. The CCDL should be the voice of reason here, and we should all be aligning with how they want this to go down.

I just hope the above referenced opinion of no carry is not the case.

dbegin87

imported post

i just spoke with capital police and they informed me they follow ct firearms laws for the ground i quote

"if you have a permit you are all set"

know I know kevin B has informed ccdl that we couldn't carry but i think he was honestly and purposely mis informed by the capital

capital police phone number (860) 240-0240

Rich B

imported post

Just my recommendation:
Lets not have a whole bunch of people asking the capitol police questions. The law is clear on this point, now we have a confirmation of this fact. If no one does anything illegal then there is no problem.