• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Anyone Planning to Open Carry At 2nd Amendment March This Weekend?

Rich B

imported post

dbegin87 wrote:
it was just a general question to them and i didnt even mention the march
Yep, I think that was good that you took the initiative. I just worry that putting the number here will stimulate others to call and harass the capitol police about open carry at the capitol.

Better to stay on their good side and to just exercise the right, not make a big deal about.

Good work.

dbegin87

imported post

didnt even mention open carry just asked if they followed general ct firearms laws on there grounds not in the building they said yes if you have a permit you are all set

also if me open carrying is going to go against the wishes of the CCDL i will be willing to not where my much loved CCDL shirt if they would prefer in case they do not want to be associated with me for open carry

but I hope this wont be the case i love the CCDL

gluegun

imported post

My name is Kevin Borgnis.

I just got off the phone with the Capitol Police. Officer Diaz (spelling?) informed me that after speaking with Chief Lee, the "No Weapons" ban extends to the entire Capitol premises including the grounds.

In posting A law that is related to carrying inside the capitol building, you missed this law that allows the owner/administrator of ANY piece of property to ban guns:

29-28. Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to carry pistol or revolver. Confidentiality of name and address of permit holder. Permits for out-of-state residents.
... snip ...
(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

Since the Capitol Police exercise control over the Captiol building and it's grounds, they have the authority to ban guns there.

I will repeat and make this very clearly:
NO GUNS AT THE CAPITOL. EMPTY HOLSTERS ONLY.

If you have a problem with this, do not attend the march. You will be asked to leave and may be arrested by Capitol Police.

Thank you,
Kevin Borgnis
CT Coordinator of the Second Amendment March

gluegun

imported post

After speaking to you, he asked Chief Lee to clarify. Your information came from an officer who was, at the time, uninformed about the policy. He now understands the policy and will explain it properly to anyone who calls.

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
NO GUNS AT THE CAPITOL. EMPTY HOLSTERS ONLY.

Can I ask why we would having a second amendment rally at all at the capitol where guns are banned (and no one is challenging them at all) then?

What is the intended purpose of the march if we all have to disarm just to do it?

dbegin87

imported post

so if they go to arrest me i will just say officer diaz told me it was fine to carry it isnt like he called me back to tell me he was wrong so i guess i will let his personal response to me stand

Rich B

imported post

dbegin87 wrote:
so if they go to arrest me i will just say officer diaz told me it was fine to carry it isnt like he called me back to tell me he was wrong so i guess i will let his personal response to me stand

Getting arrested at the capitol will do no one any good. You would do the cause more good by not attending.

gluegun

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Can I ask why we would having a second amendment rally at all at the capitol where guns are banned (and no one is challenging them at all) then?

What is the intended purpose of the march if we all have to disarm just to do it?
Where would you have held it? There is no better place to petition the legislature against enacting any anti-gun laws than the state capitol. That is, after all, the mission statement of the Second Amendment March.

We're not alone exercising our 1st Amendment rights to protect our 2nd Amendment rights in this manner. There are a number of other states holding unarmed marches because their state capitols have similar prohibitions.

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Where would you have held it? There is no better place to petition the legislature against enacting any anti-gun laws than the state capitol.

I don't know about you, but I have not seen much of a problem with our legislature. I have seen a major problem in and around local police departments and DPS.

dbegin87

imported post

well it seems like to me if it does hit the main stream media at least people will know people do open carry in ct if all they see is empty holsters they will believe we cant open carry and they will think that is why we are protesting we all know that is not the case but the main populace will not understand that

Rich B

imported post

dbegin87 wrote:
at least people will know people do open carry in ct
And that they get arrested for it.

I do agree that the empty holster thing is stupid, but anyone getting arrested is a net negative for us all. I am in the same boat as you are: questioning what this is going to do for anyone. But please, do not break the law no matter how you feel.

AGust82

imported post

Just my 2 cents...If you can't carry in this location, why is it being held there? May as well do it at the Post Office. Isn't the whole point of this thing carrying of guns? Why not Bushnell Park or someplace else like it?
It's just as silly as dragging a leash around a place you wish you could bring your dog in to.