• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discussing campus carry on 97.1 Detroit Right Now

Ruckus

imported post

Hey all, they are discussing campus carry on 97.1 Detroit and a guy called and said for the last two weeks seeing a kid open carry in 7-11 has had great power over him since.

I've been texting and trying to call in, but they haven't taken my calls or read my text.

They did just come back from break and said Michigan IS an open carry state.

Karsch and Anderson
97.1 Detroit
On until 2PM

Tune in and try to get through. I don't know the number off hand but the text number is 97136.

Edit: I forgot to add the hosts are being very anti gun and spewing all kinds of paranoia and bad info. Its driving me nuts. They haven't learned anything from the last time this topic came up.

The call in number is 248 539 9797

Ruckus

imported post

So yeah...when I typed the above earlier I was busy at work and had to throw it all down pretty quickly.

Again, a guy called in off topic of campus concealed carry and said he was at 7-11 a couple weeks ago and saw a "kid" carrying his gun open in a holster "for everyone to see". Guy continued that is was startling to him and he didn't know if he should call 911 or what. He also said that for two weeks since the experience it has had a lot of "power" over him.

The host, Gator, recommended that if that was to happen he should call 911. After the break Gator said, "In regards to the last caller, open carry is legal in Michigan". And that was the last comment made about anything firearms for the rest of the afternoon. Hmmm, curious.

nate0486

imported post

i listen to the ticket all the time. I called in and talked the them for about 5 min. They were not really listing to my views the just thought it was a bad idea and didnt care about any GOOD things that could happen with ccw's on campus

Ruckus

imported post

nate0486 wrote:
i listen to the ticket all the time. I called in and talked the them for about 5 min. They were not really listing to my views the just thought it was a bad idea and didnt care about any GOOD things that could happen with ccw's on campus

Nate, I surely would have heard your call. There was one guy that was making a lot of good pro points and then at the end K & A just said "whatever Dude" and disconnected they guy...was that you?

I listen to The Ticket ALL day everyday. I got on the last time they discussed this a few months ago and they acted the same way. There's a thread here about it somewhere. These guys are okay but they really piss me off when they start on stuff they know nothing about and just share their ignorance across the air waves like it matters of fact. I really like Valenti but that guy is truly a commie bastage.

Jblack44

imported post

Gotta remember that station is a CBS station. So Liberal views trump everything else.

Like you I listen everyday, all day. And I have to turn it off sometimes because of the way they lean on current event subjects like this. All they want to say is someone is going to get shot!

nate0486

imported post

yea they let me put my few cents in and kinda made fun of me for thinking guns on a campus would not be a bad idea then hung up before i could argue their points but was on for a while

Ruckus

imported post

pmcqueen37 wrote:
Must not have been very long, I saw this post at Lunch, turned it on at 12:20 and they were talking about Tiger Woods
Usually they keep the discussions open throughout the show while adding more topics. Like I said, I find it curious that after they made the statement that open carry is legal in Michigan they did not speak another word of campus carry, concealed carry, or open carry.

Maybe someone told them that open carry is legal and that they just instructed everybody to flood 911 with unnecessary MWAG calls if they see what the guy in 7-11 saw. Hopefully somebody got through to them to STFU on stuff they obviously know nothing about.

***former lurker known as "Ethan_Frome" since 2008.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I called the station to speak and they refused to put me on the air. I was the one walking from 7-11 across the street to the shop where I was getting new tires put on my work van. I walked over there to buy the guys some sodas and donuts. I also emailed the stations management because of the misleading and out right inaccuracies they made in discussing carrying a firearm.

Michigander

imported post

bandersnatch wrote:
pmcqueen37 wrote:
Must not have been very long, I saw this post at Lunch, turned it on at 12:20 and they were talking about Tiger Woods
Usually they keep the discussions open throughout the show while adding more topics. Like I said, I find it curious that after they made the statement that open carry is legal in Michigan they did not speak another word of campus carry, concealed carry, or open carry.

Maybe someone told them that open carry is legal and that they just instructed everybody to flood 911 with unnecessary MWAG calls if they see what the guy in 7-11 saw. Hopefully somebody got through to them to STFU on stuff they obviously know nothing about.

In 2004, Drew and Mike were talking about the expiration of the homeland defense weapons ban. They were far and away off base with the subject matter, among other things saying this meant you could buy machine guns again. I sent them a polite email with some quick facts about just how wrong they were, and told them they needed to know what they were talking about if they were going to discuss it. I'm sure other people did the same. Trudy Daniels came on a few minutes later and said "shut up about that" in regards to the whole gun law thing. To this day, I've never heard them bring it back up.

It's very possible an anti gun boss didn't want the subject to be talked about because it would paint a pro gun picture if they were honest, and it would make them look like fools to be FOS. This may also be the case here.

Ruckus

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I called the station to speak and they refused to put me on the air. I was the one walking from 7-11 across the street to the shop where I was getting new tires put on my work van. I walked over there to buy the guys some sodas and donuts. I also emailed the stations management because of the misleading and out right inaccuracies they made in discussing carrying a firearm.
Wow, Scott. You hardly look like some little kid as described from the guy who called in. Do you remember seeing the man who you have had so much power over for the last two weeks, as described? Did you hear it on air today? I just got done writing a long letter to Gator and Doug and plan to also forward it to management. Gator and Doug were quite ignorant with this topic today!

Ruckus

imported post

Michigander wrote:
In 2004, Drew and Mike were talking about the expiration of the homeland defense weapons ban. They were far and away off base with the subject matter, among other things saying this meant you could buy machine guns again. I sent them a polite email with some quick facts about just how wrong they were, and told them they needed to know what they were talking about if they were going to discuss it. I'm sure other people did the same. Trudy Daniels came on a few minutes later and said "shut up about that" in regards to the whole gun law thing. To this day, I've never heard them bring it back up.

It's very possible an anti gun boss didn't want the subject to be talked about because it would paint a pro gun picture if they were honest, and it would make them look like fools to be FOS. This may also be the case here.
That's the feeling I got from the abrupt "...open carry is legal in Michigan" blurt after the break. But hey...at least open carry got a quick mention, right?

reidksmith

imported post

Bander, I'm the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus in Michigan. If you're a radio guy, perhaps you heard me on the Mitch Albom show on Wednesday?

What context were they discussing campus carry in? PM if necessary - it's part of my job to keep tabs on the media, and this made it under my radar.

Ruckus

imported post

reidksmith wrote:
Bander, I'm the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus in Michigan. If you're a radio guy, perhaps you heard me on the Mitch Albom show on Wednesday?

What context were they discussing campus carry in? PM if necessary - it's part of my job to keep tabs on the media, and this made it under my radar.
Reid, I did not hear the Mitch Albom coverage.

However, I heard campus carry discussed on The Ticket from Karsh & Anderson twice now. This most recent time, and once a few months ago when the HB first hit the wire. This time was an exact replica of the last. Their understanding of the issue is nil, and their arguments are very stale. Personally, I was bothered because, like last time, a lot of good callers got through and put a lot of positive info out there towards the cause, but they just kept shooting people down with their lame rhetoric.

When they first brought it up they mentioned how only three college/universities allowed concealed carry on campus in the entire nation. Then, enough of us must have text/called in to mention MSU as they later referenced that.

Their issues are the maturity level of college aged people, and the potential for ruining young lives when you add guns to the mix of poor decision making, fights, and alcohol consumption. They also were afraid there would be a huge spike in the amount of students receiving "CCWs" just to be cool and keep up with the style of the day.

Gator said repeatedly he understands gun owners are some of the most responsible citizens and with 99% of them there won't be any problems, but the 1% is worrisome enough to not allow it. I remember thinking to myself isn't cc crime less than half of 1%?

Karsh said he respects RTKBA and self defense but he just doesn't see a need on campuses.

I also remember one the hosts saying something like: we don't mind if you have guns in your homes or your cars, but don't see the need in places like campuses and, I think he said, restaurants.

Gator asked someone why he had a "CCW" or why he felt the need to carry a gun. The guy responded in surprise to the question as it has its obvious answer "self-defense!". Then Gator was like: OK, OK, um...I'm not judging, with every bit of his tone judging the caller as if self defense is a false pretense.

Like I mentioned above, as well, somebody was on making really good points for campus carry and carry in general and I felt he really had K & A against the ropes and they just hung up on the guy with a departing "whatever dude". I think the caller challenged them to do further research and they would find that he was right.

It's obvious they had not gained any increased knowledge on this issue since the last time it was discussed on air. They were more than comfortable preaching their fact-less paranoia.

They talk sports and have several other topics going at one time. Within the hour or two they were open to discussing it I want to say the pro/con caller ratio for campus carry was close to 60/40 with a majority of callers siding with not allowing it.

I'll PM the letter I wrote. I haven't sent it to them or their program director yet as I wanted to take a day or two to let my feelings settle over what I had heard.

fozzy71

imported post

bandersnatch wrote:
reidksmith wrote:

Reid, I did not hear the Mitch Albom coverage.

However, I heard campus carry discussed on The Ticket from Karsh & Anderson twice now. This most recent time, and once a few months ago when the HB first hit the wire. This time was an exact replica of the last. Their understanding of the issue is nil, and their arguments are very stale. Personally, I was bothered because, like last time, a lot of good callers got through and put a lot of positive info out there towards the cause, but they just kept shooting people down with their lame rhetoric.

When they first brought it up they mentioned how only three college/universities allowed concealed carry on campus in the entire nation. Then, enough of us must have text/called in to mention MSU as they later referenced that.

Their issues are the maturity level of college aged people, and the potential for ruining young lives when you add guns to the mix of poor decision making, fights, and alcohol consumption. They also were afraid there would be a huge spike in the amount of students receiving "CCWs" just to be cool and keep up with the style of the day.

Gator said repeatedly he understands gun owners are some of the most responsible citizens and with 99% of them there won't be any problems, but the 1% is worrisome enough to not allow it. I remember thinking to myself isn't cc crime less than half of 1%?

Karsh said he respects RTKBA and self defense but he just doesn't see a need on campuses.

I also remember one the hosts saying something like: we don't mind if you have guns in your homes or your cars, but don't see the need in places like campuses and, I think he said, restaurants.

Gator asked someone why he had a "CCW" or why he felt the need to carry a gun. The guy responded in surprise to the question as it has its obvious answer "self-defense!". Then Gator was like: OK, OK, um...I'm not judging, with every bit of his tone judging the caller as if self defense is a false pretense.

Like I mentioned above, as well, somebody was on making really good points for campus carry and carry in general and I felt he really had K & A against the ropes and they just hung up on the guy with a departing "whatever dude". I think the caller challenged them to do further research and they would find that he was right.

It's obvious they had not gained any increased knowledge on this issue since the last time it was discussed on air. They were more than comfortable preaching their fact-less paranoia.

They talk sports and have several other topics going at one time. Within the hour or two they were open to discussing it I want to say the pro/con caller ratio for campus carry was close to 60/40 with a majority of callers siding with not allowing it.

I'll PM the letter I wrote. I haven't sent it to them or their program director yet as I wanted to take a day or two to let my feelings settle over what I had heard.

:what:

You don't really expect humans to try and read this tiny, green font, do you?

Ruckus

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
:what:

You don't really expect humans to try and read this tiny, green font, do you?
LOL! Is it because it was tiny, or green, haha? Good call though. I have a large led monitor and hadn't realized what it looked like without the magnification I'm also using. I did change it for easier reading, although I'm not sure how much easier as I can really run on, and on, and on.