Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC_CC first gun for a woman

Post imported post

My wife wants to get a gun to 0c and CC. anyone have any suggestions of what to look for. She has been shooting with her dad since she was like 10 and has shot my gun. (M&P9c) now she wants her own. thanks in advance for the help
    its better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.....unknown

Post imported post

Why not the M&P9c?
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

Other than making sure it's reliable, I think she needs to make that decision for herself.

If you can narrow down the parameters of what she wants, it might be prudent to make suggestions. Otherwise, I suggest you and she go to a gun shop, and figure out what she wants.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

no reason just trying to get ideas. i will have to ask her if she would like to have her own.

Post imported post

My wife has a Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro that she loves. She likes my G19 but loves her Taurus.

Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Post imported post

My wife and I carry the same model, this way we can use each others mags if needed.
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Post imported post

Time for her to honeslty answer a couple of questions:

1) Will she practice on a moderately regular basis? Let's say once a month.

2)Will she learn and regularly practice clearing malfunctions (auto loader)and bringing the gun back to battery?

If she doesn't honestly think she will do those two things I would suggest that you start your searchby looking at arevolver.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

My wife liked my M&P9 so I got her one.

She likes it but wants laser$grips like mine :?

Post imported post

I still don`t get it, everyone wants to have laser sights. In agun fight, I don`t believe there would be time to look for a little red dot. Personally, I don`t find them practical, maybe it`s just me.

Post imported post

bruiser 160 wrote:
    I still don`t get it, everyone wants to have laser sights. In agun fight, I don`t believe there would be time to look for a little red dot. Personally, I don`t find them practical, maybe it`s just me.
    I've noticed over the years that many folks who have actually been in a combat situation have a heavy respect for the capabilities of laser sights. One way to look at it is that if you were actually defending yourself on the street, you probably wouldn't use the sights, you'd be point shooting. The laser would very possibly help you have a better idea where the bullets would hit, but even if you didn't see it, no big deal, because point shooting is more than capable of the needed accuracy in most non war zone self defense situations.

Like you, I don't really care for them, or want to pay a high price for a quality one. But I would think they are quite effective.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Go for the laser sights, I have them as does my wife we both love them. As for the weapon, go to a gun shop and let her try the fit of whats out there. I like most quality 2-2 1/2" revolvers also big fan of the Glock 19.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

HAHAHAH you have created a monster! Next she will want an AR as well!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

thanks for the idea guys. we will have to make a trip to the gun store and see what she likes. she saw the taurus slim and thought it was nice

Banned

Post imported post

guns are like shoes, try them allon, and buy the one that fits. Keep in mind that you may need to defend yourself in different situations, through walls, glass, or several layers of winter clothing, and you may need tro face multiple threats. In other words, capacity and caliber. Extra mags dont hurt either.

Post imported post

Well my wife really likes a revolver because of the simplicity of it. She likes my everyday carry gun (S&W model 442) so much that I got her a nice used 642 for CHRISTmas. She got her CPL in December. Now my next mission is to get her OCing !!

Post imported post

nate0486 wrote:
    My wife wants to get a gun to 0c and CC. anyone have any suggestions of what to look for.
    Go to a gun range that rents handguns, rent a few, and select what you feel most comfortable with and are most accurate with. That would be my advice to your wife or anyone else.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I agree with the other posts: Try as many as possible; if it does not feel good in your hand what good is it? While people do have their favorites (love my S&W M&P) the best gun is the one that you are comfortable with. (That is dead-on reliable of course)

Post imported post

Pics of my wifes C.A. Pink Lady. She loves it! Shoots great! Crimson Trace grips are available for it! I had the Cancer Ribbon and Survivor engraved for her.

Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

I'm a big S&W fan! The M&Ps are great guns, the compact would be great for her. I have the full size and compact in .40 cal. If she wants something a bit smaller go for a revolver in J or K frame 3-2 inch bbl in 38/+Ps.

You'll pay a bit more for the Smiths, but the entire S&W ownership experience is worth it. Not only are the guns super reliable and accurate, their Customer Service is second to none. MADE IN USA.

Post imported post

My wife's got tiny hands, even by women's standards, and the only autos that "fit" her well were Kahrs... and we're not interested in paying Kahr prices. We got her a Taurus 851 CIA, a .38 Spl. in stainless, 5-shot, 2-in barrel. I'm happy with it but she can't fire it continuously, the trigger pull tires her hand/fingers after 4 or 5 shots. We lessened the trigger pull but then we were having FTF's, and ultimately we were only able to take a 1/2 pound out of the trigger to keep it firing reliably.

NOW...we've found the right auto for her, and it's the Taurus 709 "Slim". We tried it at the range and we both love it. She can shoot it all day long, it has more round capacity than the .38, and we prefer a 9mm to a .38 anyway. She had no problem loading her own mags, it shot beautifully, and we were both all-around impressed.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

You gave your wife a firearm? Man knowing you and your wife that takes courage. I'm me I don't get to spend much time with you and I sometimes I want to shoot you, I can only imagine her feelings. Must repress thoughts of murder...must repress thoughts of murders...

Just kidding, I have yet to get my wife a handgun. Too many other expenses right now, but hopefully soon.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I bought my wife a handgun in 1994. Still have her, she still has the gun.springerdave.

Post imported post

@hopnpop

My girlfriend has the same problem with the added difficulty of having very short index fingers in proportion to the size of her palms. Most guns with double action triggers have a backstrap-to-trigger distance that is too long for her. Thanks for the idea of the Taurus Slim, it'll give us another option to try.

hopnpop wrote:
    My wife's got tiny hands, even by women's standards, and the only autos that "fit" her well were Kahrs... and we're not interested in paying Kahr prices.
    For others that may be in the same boat, Bersa is slated to release a single stack, poly frame DAO gun, in both 9mm and 40 S&W,later this year.

Here's some pics:

Here it is with a Bersa Thunder .380 on top of it for size reference:

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Wow! That's nice looking!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

thanks for the posts. we went out looking she liked the taurus slim. but isnt sure that what she wants. more shopping...which is ok with me i dont mind spending time in local gun shops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast