• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC_CC first gun for a woman

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dougwg wrote:
My wife liked my M&P9 so I got her one.

She likes it but wants laser$grips like mine :?

You gave your wife a firearm? Man knowing you and your wife that takes courage. I'm me I don't get to spend much time with you and I sometimes I want to shoot you, I can only imagine her feelings. Must repress thoughts of murder...must repress thoughts of murders...;)

Just kidding, I have yet to get my wife a handgun. Too many other expenses right now, but hopefully soon.

Bronson

imported post

@hopnpop

My girlfriend has the same problem with the added difficulty of having very short index fingers in proportion to the size of her palms. Most guns with double action triggers have a backstrap-to-trigger distance that is too long for her. Thanks for the idea of the Taurus Slim, it'll give us another option to try.

hopnpop wrote:
My wife's got tiny hands, even by women's standards, and the only autos that "fit" her well were Kahrs... and we're not interested in paying Kahr prices.

For others that may be in the same boat, Bersa is slated to release a single stack, poly frame DAO gun, in both 9mm and 40 S&W,later this year.

Here's some pics:

bp9poster_2052.jpg

Here it is with a Bersa Thunder .380 on top of it for size reference:

t380bpb_385.jpg

Bronson

nate0486

imported post

thanks for the posts. we went out looking she liked the taurus slim. but isnt sure that what she wants. more shopping...which is ok with me i dont mind spending time in local gun shops

khicks

imported post

I saw a thread similar to this on MGO's site in regards to a man and his wife getting there first CPL guns. Below are my thoughts:

As a long time CPL holder. I of course have some advice:

1) You pick out your gun, your wife picks out hers. You both are different people with different size, shape, and needs, pick a gun out accordingly. Do this by shooting friends' guns, or renting at your local range. The gun should fit YOU.

2) pick out a gun that is comfortable to shoot accurately, repetitively, ONE handed (guns that require 2 hands to shoot accurately in the heat of battle are NOT good choices, as you will likely have only 1 hand available to shoot with, remember Murphy's Law ALWAYS applies),and is of a decent 'effective' caliber. I would also recommend a high as possible capacity within these parameters, as less manipulation of the gun during the fight is better.

3) Be honest in regards to yourself, your size/shape, and routine. If the gun doesn't 'fit' you, you'll leave it at home.

4) Don't get too wrapped up in the 9mm vs. 40 vs. 45 debates. A handgun (not handsgun) is only marginally effective at best, and will require multiple hits to perform its job. If the recoil is too much for you due to its caliber/size that you can't get accurate second or third shots, what's the point? Remember, you are responsible for every bullet you launch out of your handgun, regardless where it goes. Wouldn't it be better if they all went into the threat? For example: I personally find that 45 acp in smaller guns, like the Taurus PT Millennium series, is a more accurate and controllable package than either the 9mm or the 40 S&W.

5) If the guns you and/or wife choose, meet the previous criteria, you and your wife should carry similar guns/caliber. For example, glocks and S&W M&P's and Springfield XD’s (not the new M) all use interchangeable magazines. If you are forced into an armed encounter, wouldn't it be comforting to know that you can hand spare magazines back and forth if one of you runs out? It also makes buying spare ammunition, whether for practice, defense, or getting reloading components a little less difficult on the logistics side, if not more economical (IE buying in bulk). Not to forget mentioning, that if one of you is injured, the other will already be intimately familiar with the others gun (remember Murphy?)

6) And finally, I guess, don't be too afraid to ask questions, because the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. It is only your life/safety we are talking about, right?
You've got a good start here, but listen to everything with a grain of salt. Because gun/caliber choices can (and quite often are) a preference based upon subjective feelings, as opposed to hard data.

If I can help in any further fashion, please do not hesitate to ask.

And YOUR thoughts are?

not sure who wrote this, but thank you

Wglide90

imported post

I go along with khicks #5). At least about the M&Ps and standardizing.

Take a look!

I have both M&P 40 Compact a year ago & Full Size new a month ago, CC & OC respectively. These both shoot fast and back on target faster than any I've handled. These are great guns, I got 2 free mags last year w/ compact and just today (1 month from sending in coupon) got my email from S&W that 2 free ones for the FS are on the way!!!. If you hurry you can get in on the free mag deals.

MADE IN USA

MP40FullSize003.jpg

MP40FullSize005.jpg

M&Ps have 3 grip inserts for S/M/L hand types, so men and women can find a good grip.

Another great reason is their Customer Service, I've owned S&Ws for over 25 yrs and shot my Dads since a kid. I have had some service done on a couple of guns over the years and S&W have done everything I've asked without asking for a penny. Great service you can't get anywhere else in handguns.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Even Taurus has gotten pretty good lately:what:
really? ive wanted a pt1911 and ppl are saying that taurus is crap taurus is crap...some ppl love em...some ppl hate em...to each their own...:dude:

Packer fan

imported post

I'll chime in here to give my $.02 worth

My wife carries a Kahr CW40 and she loves it. She carried my Taurus when her Kahr was getting worked on and she didn't like it. She get her Kahr back and loves it. It is light to CC or OC and it is very accurate. I can shoot in a grouping the size of a quarter at 10 yardswith it. The draw back is it is a 6 +1.

But like cars some like this some like that but shehas to get what she likes.

autosurgeon

imported post

I was referring to Taurus CS the guns have always been fine IMOP. When I read about many of the problems people have it becomes very clear that they shot the gun without first cleaning it. This is a big NO NO with Taurus as they are packed with shipping grease.