• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC_CC first gun for a woman

nate0486

imported post

My wife wants to get a gun to 0c and CC. anyone have any suggestions of what to look for. She has been shooting with her dad since she was like 10 and has shot my gun. (M&P9c) now she wants her own. thanks in advance for the help

Michigander

imported post

Other than making sure it's reliable, I think she needs to make that decision for herself.

If you can narrow down the parameters of what she wants, it might be prudent to make suggestions. Otherwise, I suggest you and she go to a gun shop, and figure out what she wants.

Bronson

imported post

Time for her to honeslty answer a couple of questions:

1) Will she practice on a moderately regular basis? Let's say once a month.

2)Will she learn and regularly practice clearing malfunctions (auto loader)and bringing the gun back to battery?

If she doesn't honestly think she will do those two things I would suggest that you start your searchby looking at arevolver.

Bronson

bruiser 160

imported post

I still don`t get it, everyone wants to have laser sights. In agun fight, I don`t believe there would be time to look for a little red dot. Personally, I don`t find them practical, maybe it`s just me.

Michigander

imported post

bruiser 160 wrote:
I still don`t get it, everyone wants to have laser sights. In agun fight, I don`t believe there would be time to look for a little red dot. Personally, I don`t find them practical, maybe it`s just me.
I've noticed over the years that many folks who have actually been in a combat situation have a heavy respect for the capabilities of laser sights. One way to look at it is that if you were actually defending yourself on the street, you probably wouldn't use the sights, you'd be point shooting. The laser would very possibly help you have a better idea where the bullets would hit, but even if you didn't see it, no big deal, because point shooting is more than capable of the needed accuracy in most non war zone self defense situations.

Like you, I don't really care for them, or want to pay a high price for a quality one. But I would think they are quite effective.

Dansjeep2000

imported post

Go for the laser sights, I have them as does my wife we both love them. As for the weapon, go to a gun shop and let her try the fit of whats out there. I like most quality 2-2 1/2" revolvers also big fan of the Glock 19.

nate0486

imported post

thanks for the idea guys. we will have to make a trip to the gun store and see what she likes. she saw the taurus slim and thought it was nice

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

guns are like shoes, try them allon, and buy the one that fits. Keep in mind that you may need to defend yourself in different situations, through walls, glass, or several layers of winter clothing, and you may need tro face multiple threats. In other words, capacity and caliber. Extra mags dont hurt either.

BlueStarDad

imported post

Well my wife really likes a revolver because of the simplicity of it. She likes my everyday carry gun (S&W model 442) so much that I got her a nice used 642 for CHRISTmas. She got her CPL in December. Now my next mission is to get her OCing !!

DanM

imported post

nate0486 wrote:
My wife wants to get a gun to 0c and CC. anyone have any suggestions of what to look for.
Go to a gun range that rents handguns, rent a few, and select what you feel most comfortable with and are most accurate with. That would be my advice to your wife or anyone else.

Scooter

imported post

I agree with the other posts: Try as many as possible; if it does not feel good in your hand what good is it? While people do have their favorites (love my S&W M&P) the best gun is the one that you are comfortable with. (That is dead-on reliable of course)

carracer

imported post

Pics of my wifes C.A. Pink Lady. She loves it! Shoots great! Crimson Trace grips are available for it! I had the Cancer Ribbon and Survivor engraved for her.

lftside.jpg

rtside.jpg

Wglide90

imported post

I'm a big S&W fan! The M&Ps are great guns, the compact would be great for her. I have the full size and compact in .40 cal. If she wants something a bit smaller go for a revolver in J or K frame 3-2 inch bbl in 38/+Ps.

You'll pay a bit more for the Smiths, but the entire S&W ownership experience is worth it. Not only are the guns super reliable and accurate, their Customer Service is second to none. MADE IN USA.

hopnpop

imported post

My wife's got tiny hands, even by women's standards, and the only autos that "fit" her well were Kahrs... and we're not interested in paying Kahr prices. We got her a Taurus 851 CIA, a .38 Spl. in stainless, 5-shot, 2-in barrel. I'm happy with it but she can't fire it continuously, the trigger pull tires her hand/fingers after 4 or 5 shots. We lessened the trigger pull but then we were having FTF's, and ultimately we were only able to take a 1/2 pound out of the trigger to keep it firing reliably.

NOW...we've found the right auto for her, and it's the Taurus 709 "Slim". We tried it at the range and we both love it. She can shoot it all day long, it has more round capacity than the .38, and we prefer a 9mm to a .38 anyway. She had no problem loading her own mags, it shot beautifully, and we were both all-around impressed.