• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state temp worker getting license?

Unoid

imported post

A friend of mine is a WA resident. He'll be working at BP Whiting for at least two years.

I know IN will recognize his WA license but he does not have one.

I also heard that if hes a non-resident worker he may be able to apply for indiana LTCF.

his drivers license is WA, but he'll get an apt here shortly.

Anyone know?

hotrod

imported post

Absolutlely, as long as he works 40 hrs per week in Indiana he qualifies. I worked in Indiana and lived in Kentucky and the Sheriff issued me one, as he said, "to be on the safe side of carry here". I have a Kentucky CDWL but he worried not all LEO's in Indiana would know the law.

Jubbie

imported post

I wish him luck on picking the right city to live in to get it. Hopefully it isn't Hammond as I've heard it's very difficult get an appointment. Not sure who you go to exactly in this situation, city where your work is or city where you are taking short-term residence.

Unoid

imported post

How would he do this? go to his local city police office and tell them hes out of state resident who works full time in IN and wants LTCF.?

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I thought a non resident applying for a permit under the work/business exception went through the Indiana State Police?

Timjoebillybob

imported post

Jubbie wrote:
I wish him luck on picking the right city to live in to get it. Hopefully it isn't Hammond as I've heard it's very difficult get an appointment. Not sure who you go to exactly in this situation, city where your work is or city where you are taking short-term residence.
According to Indiana Code you go to the Sheriff in the county you work in. Not sure how the Lake Co sheriff is on them though but it has to be better than Hammond.

IC 35-47-2-3
Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
Sec. 3.
(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

hotrod wrote:
Absolutlely, as long as he works 40 hrs per week in Indiana he qualifies. I worked in Indiana and lived in Kentucky and the Sheriff issued me one, as he said, "to be on the safe side of carry here". I have a Kentucky CDWL but he worried not all LEO's in Indiana would know the law.
WOW, that's one nice Sheriff!! I wish there were more like him.