• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Share your Open Carry Tactics

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am curious what Open Carry Tactics (OCT) you may employ when out and about in the real world?

I know that I employ a few that I have picked up over the years from my CC days as well. No I don't consider them 'paranoid' but just simple common sense.

I will start:

1) When I enter a building (store, movie theater, home, etc) I quickly look around for any trouble spots or people. I also look for the emergency exits in case of well emergency (fire, power outage, etc). I have taught my daughters this as well and I can blindfold them and they can point to the exits.

2) When I sit in a restaurant I always sit facing the door so I can see any trouble entering the building. I also always sit on the aisle seat to enable quicker access to my firearm and any trouble that may enter.

3) When in line at a 'Starbucks' or similar establishment I stand in line facing the door at an angle and generally try to do so weak side so that if there was someone who entered who was trouble they may not notice me right away. I generally stand weak side towards others and the bulk of activity in a public setting to limit access to my firearm.

note: I do carry in a thumb break leather Blackhawk holster

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

This will be different as I cannot OC a handgun legally. I do carry my ASP all the time.

I get in the center of everything, and engage in conversation with others. I do not slink (real word?) back and act quiet, as that might encourage potential criminals and might make them think this is the right place to start some trouble.

Change position frequently, changing stance, to stay balanced on two even if I am pushed or shoved from 6 clock.

And we, motorcycle riders as a majority have good eyes, and awareness! Anticipating actions and always looking for an escape route. I.E. If he does this, what if that happens, what if I do this, etc.

Probably got more, but I'll keep it short and not make it a rant. ;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Sometimes I think you guys watch to many movies.:D

Nah, if I watched movies I would hold my gun sideways and shoot everything in sight, never hit anything and shoot 20 rounds more then my firearm is capable of holding!:celebrate

Just a real question. LEO gives OCers a hard time for.... no training (I have had some special training), lack of situational awareness, so I thought I could gather some insight from others.

FMCDH

imported post

Three tips....

1. Practice situational awareness

2. Wear your wallet on the opposite side of your firearm

3. Retention training

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
Sometimes I think you guys watch to many movies.:D

Nah, if I watched movies I would hold my gun sideways and shoot everything in sight, never hit anything and shoot 20 rounds more then my firearm is capable of holding!:celebrate

Just a real question. LEO gives OCers a hard time for.... no training (I have had some special training), lack of situational awareness, so I thought I could gather some insight from others.
Dont forget if your shooting at someone you wont be able to accuratly hit anything until your very last round, and theenemy would have 20 feet further away, and it would have to be an unaimed shot unlike the first 32. Only then could you accurately shoot them right between the eyes. More than likely all this would require you being shot in your left arm first which would not require any immediate attention after the gunfight, only some tightly wound gauze. The upside is givin the situation some woman that has hated your guts and probably related to the person you just killed would instantly fall in love with you.

amzbrady

imported post

Oh, GO GO, I forgot the down side. You would have to sacrifice your mustang, it would either have been blown up or in the least flippedseveral times and now laying on its top.

Sorry to have tobreak the bad news to you.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

motorcycle-shooting-340.jpg

****Drools****

Sign me up! :celebrate

Plus I'm left handed, no throttle sacrafice!!!!!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

What are you guys drinking, I want some too lol.

The next thing that will come up is that when you enter a restaurant you turn around to face the door upon entry and walk backwards so you always have an eye on the door and then side step when needed.

How is your wallet being in a different pocket going to detract an open carried handgun? Must be smoking that wacky stuff too!
Does you wallet have lights on it? or is it in a shape of a gun that is larger then what you are carrying?

There has been a couple of suggestions that are solid advice, be aware of what is occurring around you and do not bring undue attention to yourself.
Use your peripheral vision do not sit or stand there constantly scanning the area, act in a relaxed normal manner.
Avoid sitting in a corner or on the inside of a booth where you cannot move to have the ability to react.

Oh and stop watching Hollywood movies for training.:lol:

Trigger Dr

imported post

BigDave wrote:
What are you guys drinking, I want some too lol.

The next thing that will come up is that when you enter a restaurant you turn around to face the door upon entry and walk backwards so you always have an eye on the door and then side step when needed.

How is your wallet being in a different pocket going to detract an open carried handgun? Must be smoking that wacky stuff too!
Does you wallet have lights on it? or is it in a shape of a gun that is larger then what you are carrying?

There has been a couple of suggestions that are solid advice, be aware of what is occurring around you and do not bring undue attention to yourself.
Use your peripheral vision do not sit or stand there constantly scanning the area, act in a relaxed normal manner.
Avoid sitting in a corner or on the inside of a booth where you cannot move to have the ability to react.

Oh and stop watching Hollywood movies for training.:lol:
+11

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Bookman wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
Draw attention away from the strongside?

This is so that when you're reaching for your wallet no one makes the mistake of thinking you're reaching for your gun... especially the police.

ETA: Wrong quote.
Just explaining the rationale of the comment. Personally, I carry my wallet where I always have...strong side.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I carry my wallet weak side.

In addition to preventing any possibility of someone thinking I'm reaching for my carry piece, it keeps my strong hand free in case I need to draw.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I will start:

1) When I enter a building (store, movie theater, home, etc) I quickly look around for any trouble spots or people. I also look for the emergency exits in case of well emergency (fire, power outage, etc). I have taught my daughters this as well and I can blindfold them and they can point to the exits.
A grown man walking around Wal-Mart with a sidearm and blindfolded little girls may get you the wrong kind of attention o_O

2) When I sit in a restaurant I always sit facing the door so I can see any trouble entering the building. I also always sit on the aisle seat to enable quicker access to my firearm and any trouble that may enter.
I always sit on the inside next to the person in the group I like the least so I can use him/her as a human shield. o_O

3) When in line at a 'Starbucks' or similar establishment I stand in line facing the door at an angle and generally try to do so weak side so that if there was someone who entered who was trouble they may not notice me right away. I generally stand weak side towards others and the bulk of activity in a public setting to limit access to my firearm.
I take my lead on this from Stranger Danger ... I don't worry about where I stand but if someone gets too close to my sidearm I yell, "NO! Don't touch my no-no place!" and by the time everyone figures out what is going on I have made my purchase and left. o_O
Ok, I kid ... a little levity is good for the soul... :p

As a serious response to the OP I would say that the three "tactics" above are all specific strategies under the larger umbrella of situational awareness.

After taking a few firearms classes with all the stress on awareness I was almost like a bobble-head for a bit trying to look everywhere at once. But after a bit of time gaining comfort and self-confidence about carrying that calmed down into an almost sub-conscious mental review of certain things as I go about my life.

I also realized that situational awareness is about MUCH more than some bad guy. It also applies to being mentally prepared for fire, tornado, black out, earthquake or other matters requiring cover or evacuation.

I think it all really comes down to:

1) Know where you are
2) Know where potential threats are or might most likely come from
3) Know where you will hide
4) Know where you will escape

Here are some situational awareness items I pay attention to as habit now:

I think about ingress and egress as I arrive (this after I was almost trapped between arriving police and a stand-off with a robber in a local store - would have been upset if my car had ended up being a barrier in their shoot out).

Upon entering I observe marked exits and potential secondary exits. I sort of had this drilled into me as a young teen by my mother who made an issue out of it after she and my father had to evacuate a hotel due to fire. She always knows where the marked exits are located.

I look for obvious security personnel, their locations and obvious equipment. I may need their help.

Over the last several years most of the large box stores I frequent have set up longer, more continuous aisles apparently for better theft observation. In a worst case scenario that may prove the conduit for large numbers of people to rush to and then jam up exits. Where are the "off the beaten path" exits?

Long open aisles also, in the very rare case of an active shooter, make a great shooting gallery. What is my best option for a place to hide? There is very little cover in most stores so concealment on the way to the exit is the best plan. If the shooter has a rifle, and they often seem to, unless you are just in a lucky position, for most of us the idea that we are going to effectively engage the BG should be called the “Shoot Me Next Plan”.
Get your loved ones and get out.

Obviously I watch people's body language, behavior, location etc.

Most of all, I trust my instincts. If something "feels" hinky I avoid it. Most such feelings arise from a subconscious observation.

All of the above things happen casually and quickly as part of my daily life. It sounds like a lot of stuff breaking it out like that, but really, it is pretty much the same things that animals in nature do instinctively to survive.

FMCDH

imported post

Bookman wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
Draw attention away from the strongside?

This is so that when you're reaching for your wallet no one makes the mistake of thinking you're reaching for your gun... especially the police.

ETA: Wrong quote.
Correct-o

Give that man a cigar.