• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Share your Open Carry Tactics

Mainsail

imported post

I just go about my life in normal fashion using the situational awareness that 17+ years of flying heavies gave me. I guess I'm not very tactical, nor do I desire to be.

amzbrady

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I just go about my life in normal fashion using the situational awareness that 17+ years of flying heavies gave me. I guess I'm not very tactical, nor do I desire to be.

+1 minus the heavies. I dont look for exits cause they are usaully the same entrance I just came through. Everyone looks like a threat to me, so I just ignore them all so I dont wind up on Prozack trying to deal with everyone else's problem. I do how ever pay a little more attention to announcements over the PA systems, and try to smile a little more knowing that most Sheeples will not like seeing a gun, That way hopefully they feel a little more comfortable, ( course, in all actuallity I probably creep them outby smiling at them :p). The jest is I try not to do anything different except make a better impression.

( Poo, I already know what kind of impression a fat guy makes when he falls, we dont need to elaborate :lol:)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

While some may feel carry their wallet away from their firearm so when reaching for it will not alarm others or an Officer, well I feel is more about you being uncomfortable with carrying then them seeing you reach for your wallet.

In case an Officer is asking for your information from your wallet, simply just advised them you are armed and the location of your wallet, if their is an issue they will tell you.

With time that internal voice will calm and allow you to become more comfortable carrying.

Remember situational awareness is not only with our eyes, use all your senses to include common sense.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have carried my 'wallet' in my front left pocket for years. I carried there before I had a CPL. The reasoning was that:

a) I don't need all of that crap that most carry in their wallets and I got tired of sitting on a big lump. Doctors say it causes back pain.

b) Pick pockets mostly concentrate on big wallets in back pockets (some use chains).

c) If confronted in a simple hold up/mugging you should have your money in a front pocket and reach to throw your wallet one way and a bunch of pocket change/keys another way and confuse the assailant while running another way.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The concept about throwing a wallet toward but away from the perp so they will have their attention taken away could back fire on you in a bad way.

This concept seems to be derived from Saturday Morning Cartoons, do not rely upon antic's or tricks to get the upper hand, it may just get you shot or attacked at minimum.

If someone is robbing you and they are close enough to grab, strike or attack then act and work your way to your weapon, this may be your best bet instead of trying tricks and drawing your weapon right off the bat.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDave wrote:
The concept about throwing a wallet toward but away from the perp so they will have their attention taken away could back fire on you in a bad way.

This concept seems to be derived from Saturday Morning Cartoons, do not rely upon antic's or tricks to get the upper hand, it may just get you shot or attacked at minimum.

If someone is robbing you and they are close enough to grab, strike or attack then act and work your way to your weapon, this may be your best bet instead of trying tricks and drawing your weapon right off the bat.

Good point. I guess I should of been more clear in point 'c'. This was for someone who is not carrying a weapon and their alternative is to run.

c) If confronted in a simple hold up/mugging you should have your money in a front pocket and reach to throw your wallet one way and a bunch of pocket change/keys another way and confuse the assailant while running another way.

Run Forest Run!!!

FMCDH

imported post

BigDave wrote:
While some may feel carry their wallet away from their firearm so when reaching for it will not alarm others or an Officer, well I feel is more about you being uncomfortable with carrying then them seeing you reach for your wallet.

In case an Officer is asking for your information from your wallet, simply just advised them you are armed and the location of your wallet, if their is an issue they will tell you.

With time that internal voice will calm and allow you to become more comfortable carrying.

<snip>

Well, you arewelcome to your opinion, even though its seems quite presumptive of reasoning.

Fact is, peopledo becomealarmed when they mis-interpret anothers actions, and its a simple change of habit that can save a lot of headache. Its effects have been reported more than a few times on this forum.

Personally, I justmoved my wallet from strong-side back to weak-side back a few years ago, so that I use my off hand to access it. That way, no undue attention is given to my firearm when OC, and I don't have to pull back my coat or veston my carry side when CC. I have noticed a distinct lack of the suppressed gasps that I used to get once in a while, sense.

Announcing to an officer or a clerk not to be alarmed if you draw attention to your firearm while you go for your wallet would seem to fall more in the "look at me" category.

Each to their own I guess.

oneeyeross

imported post

Tactics? Tactics? I thought this was about open carrying a handgun? Tactics?

Maybe it's just me, but I left off worrying about tactics when I took off my pickle suit and stopped having to shave every day.

Am I aware of where I am and who is around me? Yes... But that isn't "tactics."

Maybe I'm just too old to be in on the "tacti-cool" era or something. I don't wear tactical underwear, tactical pants, tactical shirts, tactical shoes or tactical anything else....

FMCDH

imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
Tactics? Tactics? I thought this was about open carrying a handgun? Tactics?

Maybe it's just me, but I left off worrying about tactics when I took off my pickle suit and stopped having to shave every day.

Am I aware of where I am and who is around me? Yes... But that isn't "tactics."

Maybe I'm just too old to be in on the "tacti-cool" era or something. I don't wear tactical underwear, tactical pants, tactical shirts, tactical shoes or tactical anything else....
Not even a tactical jockstrap? Man, you live dangerously! ;)

amzbrady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I have carried my 'wallet' in my front left pocket for years. I carried there before I had a CPL. The reasoning was that:

what are they mugging you with? If you carried a weapon you wouldnt have to run. If you throw your keys, you better be able to run a really long way.

Hammer

imported post

So all this talk of wallet opposite handgun is confusing.
If I am OCing, my strong side is left.
However, I do carry and draw right when the need arises.
My back-up gun is usually CC'd opposite the OC.
Now wallet placement starts getting complicated. There's also a blade in one front pocket.
I may have a little mini in my ankle holster, either side.
Hmmm, maybe I need to pin my wallet to my lapel. No weapon carried there.... :cool:

I do try to have my wallet on the dash if there is occasion to stop for the Po-Po.
Then I don't need to announce I am reaching right where they might start feeling nervous....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

what are they mugging you with? If you carried a weapon you wouldnt have to run. If you throw your keys, you better be able to run a really long way.
Well it would depend, this is BEFORE I carried daily.

DEROS72

imported post

Well usually when I hit Starbucks or someplace I send scouts in first.Then upon entering dive under the nearest table for cover facing the exit of course...I'll use the bino's to recon the line at the counter and register each tango just in case .Do a 360 perimeter sweep before exfiltratingcover and and keep your strong side out remember so everyone can see.Move stealthily to theline always looking around so customers now your in a tactical mindset .

When getting to the counter to order move fast and turn towards the door planning your line of egress .You can take cover behind the condiment stand and do another sweep and if friends are there set a perimeter.Then one by one make you exit letting everyone know your armed and tactical......

You can call Tac air if the little girl in line looks suspicious..:shock::lol:

Tactical wannabes .......Gus that have never been in the sierra hotel india tango are usually the guys that like to talk it up...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Well usually when I hit Starbucks or someplace I send scouts in first.Then upon entering dive under the nearest table for cover facing the exit of course...I'll use the bino's to recon the line at the counter and register each tango just in case .Do a 360 perimeter sweep before exfiltratingcover and and keep your strong side out remember so everyone can see.Move stealthily to theline always looking around so customers now your in a tactical mindset .

When getting to the counter to order move fast and turn towards the door planning your line of egress .You can take cover behind the condiment stand and do another sweep and if friends are there set a perimeter.Then one by one make you exit letting everyone know your armed and tactical......

Tactical wannabes .......Gus that have never been in the sierra hotel india tango are usually the guys that like to talk it up...
Now that's funny right there! Maybe I shouldn't of used the word tactics.....more like paranoid idiosyncrasies....

oneeyeross

imported post

I'd accept idiosyncratic behavior a lot easier than "tactics"... I guess that word got played up a bit to much for me over the last several years, with people marking 7-11 tactical pants, shirts, shoes, socks, underwear, t-shirts, flashlights, key rings...you name it, put the word "tactical" in front of it and people would buy it. Mall Ninja time....

amzbrady

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:

do you do leaping rolls between tables? ;)

DEROS72

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:

do you do leaping rolls between tables? ;)
Gotta do the rolls ..it looks go and more people will notice you....:lol:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:

Starbucks has asked that you stop frisking the other customers.