• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Share your Open Carry Tactics (OCT)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am curious what Open Carry Tactics (OCT) you may employ when out and about in the real world?

I know that I employ a few that I have picked up over the years from my CC days as well. No I don't consider them 'paranoid' but just simple common sense.

I will start:

1) When I enter a building (store, movie theater, home, etc) I quickly look around for any trouble spots or people. I also look for the emergency exits in case of well emergency (fire, power outage, etc). I have taught my daughters this as well and I can blindfold them and they can point to the exits.

2) When I sit in a restaurant I always sit facing the door so I can see any trouble entering the building. I also always sit on the aisle seat to enable quicker access to my firearm and any trouble that may enter.

3) When in line at a 'Starbucks' or similar establishment I stand in line facing the door at an angle and generally try to do so weak side so that if there was someone who entered who was trouble they may not notice me right away. I generally stand weak side towards others and the bulk of activity in a public setting to limit access to my firearm.

note: I do carry in a thumb break leather Blackhawk holster, I dress and look conservative

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Curtis wrote:

Nope...best you got is a back handed insult?:D

I wear dockers, a shirt with a collar...no extra gear. Not even a pocket knife!

Funny, we tell women to look under their cars when they get in them at night but when us OCers are asked a real question all you get is someone TRYING to be funny. I will tell you this that there are plenty of LEO and regular citizens with a real question and strong argument concerning 'training.' I have consistently said that as long as it is not required by the government. (...shall not be infringed) However, the founders on many occasions defined what 'A well regulated....' meant. It means to practice and be proficient with your firearm. I think you would be amiss to not consider taking simple steps to ensure your safety, whether armed or not. The 3 items I listed above require no extra time or unusual steps to be safe.

curtiswr

imported post

Given what you indicated about yourself in your original post I should have foreseen that you would take offense to a light-hearted joke. It wasn't meant as an insult, sorry that you saw it as one.

As for my ~*~*~*~OPEN CARRY TACTICS (OCT)~*~*~*~ : I go about my life as I normally would. I act no different. I remain situationally aware.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Given what you indicated about yourself in your original post I should have foreseen that you would take offense to a light-hearted joke. It wasn't meant as an insult, sorry that you saw it as one.

As for my ~*~*~*~OPEN CARRY TACTICS (OCT)~*~*~*~ : I go about my life as I normally would. I act no different. I remain situationally aware.
LOL, I didn't (see smily face above) just didn't want anyone else to not get it either. Correct I go about my life as I normally would, but those 3 things I have generally done for the 10+ years I CC'd. Those 3 things fall into the situationally aware box.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I just couldn't read past:
Fortunately, wounding fire to suppress teenage kleptomaniacs is relatively easy, they all run in straight lines, and a hit in the knee will be relatively simple from the second floor
If I was in a mall and a teenager got shot in the knee for shoplifting...:what:
I can't even imagine...

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Well, I figure someone ought to get this back on topic.

The best 'tactic' I can think of is to project an air of confidence no matter the situation. I have often heard, and often found to be true, that as long as you look like you belong, you won't be questioned.

I would imagine that this would also apply to carrying firearms. If it looks natural, and you look confident (not arrogant), then the average person will just assume you, and you gun, belong.

eye95

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:

The best 'tactic' I can think of is to project an air of confidence no matter the situation. I have often heard, and often found to be true, that as long as you look like you belong, you won't be questioned.

I would imagine that this would also apply to carrying firearms. If it looks natural, and you look confident (not arrogant), then the average person will just assume you, and you gun, belong.
Yeah. This.

open4years

imported post

Open carrying has also made me even more aware of my surroundings. I always sit with a wall behind me and with a clear view of the doors and the rest of the room. Since I open carry, I carry in a locking holster - such as the Blackhawk Serpa Level two.

When I'm standing in a line, I clasp my hands behind my back. This puts my right arm against my pistol and holster. I'm on high alert when someone is behind me.

I also carry pepper spray and a small taser.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

That's good to know. I stand like that in line anyway (I got pickpocketed once, and it gives me a 'natural' way to keep an 'eye' on my wallet) so that won't have to change.

OCinColorado

imported post

eye95 wrote:
mcdonalk wrote:

Yeah. This.
I simply act as though I am not armed. I do though keep my sense of situational awareness on "high alert", you know keep the eyes in the back of my head open.

thnycav

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
eye95 wrote:
mcdonalk wrote:

Yeah. This.
I simply act as though I am not armed. I do though keep my sense of situational awareness on "high alert", you know keep the eyes in the back of my head open.
I also keep a low profile, but I do keep a high situational awarenessarmed and a higher situational awareness when I have to be unarmed.

MamaLiberty

imported post

open4years wrote:
When I'm standing in a line, I clasp my hands behind my back. This puts my right arm against my pistol and holster. I'm on high alert when someone is behind me.
I used to have a tendency to clasp my hands together in my lap when sitting sometimes. I had to consciously break that habit because it left my hands a bit numb and stiff after a bit. I suspect you would have the same problem with this practice. An even greater problem, I suspect, is the fact that such a posture would not look anywhere "normal" to most people and might actually be alarming.

In any case, I want my hands free to respond immediately to any emergency. Having them clasped behind my back would be like having on handcuffs! No thanks.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Get used to watching peoples hands, instead of their eyes. They say its the looks that kill. They don't. Looks dont kill, they can't. Hands do, and the tools used to kill are controlled by the hands. Watch the hands.