• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Share your Open Carry Tactics (OCT)

OPS MARINE

imported post

Yes, watch hands and body movements. Look for aggression or furtive movement. As far as what to do with YOUR hands, look at the Secret Service...their hands are seemingly relaxed, but always at the ready. They've even been dubbed "Secret Service Hands" by some.

Eyeballs never killed anybody.

anyamaboy

imported post

I don't carry yet simply due to the fact that I'm in college and actually plan to purchase a pistol in the next few weeks.
As far as SA, I'm very aware of my surroundings and if I'm standing still, my right thumb is usually touching my wallet in my back pocket and my index finger is in my front pocket touching my cell phone. Paranoid? You betcha! act like it? Nope. I developed this technique when I was the only white guy in a crowd of Africans in a market and a prime suspect for pickpocketing... (btw, I lived in Africa for 5 years)
I hope to start carrying this summer to apply what I'm reading here and get more involved in this forum too.

Neeslycrunch

imported post

I try to keep notice of those around me and especially those behind me when in line.
Also, I act natural. I'm not a LEO, don't dress like a LEO, and don't act like a LEO, but the only response I have every gotten from people is "Are you a police officer?"
Act natural and most people will not pay attention to you.
Most people don't see what they aren't looking for!

Tribunal Power

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
Yes, watch hands and body movements. Look for aggression or furtive movement.

QFT. I only recently started carrying, but I've been involved in a lot of combat situations, armed and otherwise. A lot of them have been 'sudden' incidents. Learning to read body language is a key skill when trying to understand the profile of a room. I typically note entrances and exits when I enter a room and take a quick survey of the people there, tyring to discern (largely through the use of body language) the 'threat level' of each. Usually I don't see anything, but if I do, I keep an eye on it at all times.

I think the "look like you belong" advice has some real truth to it. That, along with SA, is one of the most important things to keep in mind. If you have an arrogant opponant, and you seem sheepish and nervous, there's a chance that he'll figure you're too wimpy to actually use the gun. Some people just aren't intimidated by firearms, especially if they have one as well. Confidence is key.

EDIT: Necropost. Oopsie. >_>

curtiswr

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
is a mall ninja a generic term for a security guard or a actual mall security
Neither, really.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mall+ninja

The first definition there is the best, in relation to how it is used in firearms communities:

A term used in forums to mean an unexperienced and enthusiastic weapon(usually a firearm)owner who pretends to be a seasoned operator. The phrase came about as a result of an over the top character in a famous satirical thread.