• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Parks Traveler - Acadia gun bill is glass 5/6 full for gun carriers

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

So apparently the original bill in Maine would have banned both concealed & open carry in 3 places: Acadia National Park, the Appalachian Trail, and St. Croix Island International Historic Site. That's 6 permutations of gun banning proposed - or think of it like a 2x6 matrix.

One ban got thru - the ban on open carry at Acadia National Park - so that's really 5/6 success.

And a bonus - nobody thought to try ban gun carry at White Mountain National Forest in Maine either :cool:

--

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/04/updated-effort-maine-restrict-guns-national-park-units-falls-short-goal5666

SNIP

A concerted effort in Maine to draw the line on national park visitors arming themselves has fallen short of the original goal. But the measure Governor John Baldacci signed this week will at least outlaw open carry in Acadia National Park.

. . .

The effort to stop the rule change from impacting the units of the National Park System in Maine resulted in legislation that, as initially drafted, would have banned visitors from carrying firearms in Acadia, along the Appalachian Trail, and at St. Croix Island International Historic Site. However, by the time the measure reached Gov. Baldacci's desk, it had been rewritten to apply only to Acadia, and in that park concealed carry, but not open carry, would be allowed if a firearm owner was properly licensed.

. . .

The measure will take effect three months after the Maine Legislature adjourns it's current session, so it should be effect in mid-July.

DanM

imported post

Mike wrote:
One ban got thru - the ban on open carry at Acadia National Park - so that's really 5/6 success.

And I hope that 1/6th fail gets corrected by a Maine patriot in a Maine courtroomusing Heller and McDonald (when it comes out).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DanM wrote:
Mike wrote:
And I hope that 1/6th fail gets corrected by a Maine patriot

Is there a Maine open carry civic group established yet?

Repealing the open carry ban at Acadia would make a nice legislative agenda item and help get publicity for the new group. Starting civic groups are a lot of fun and can be very effective even with a mainly virtual footprint. Even if the group only got the legislature to repeal the open carry ban as applied to concealed permit holders that would be great and I guess make the glass 11/12s full?:cool:

Anyone have the final bill language showing exactly what new code and repealed code has been enacted - the devil is always in the details.

melinuxfool

imported post

DanM wrote:
Mike wrote:

And I hope that 1/6th fail gets corrected by a Maine patriot in a Maine courtroomusing Heller and McDonald (when it comes out).
Shouldn't even need a federal case to determine it. We have Article 1, Section 16 of the State's constitution that should render any such laws null and void, since this is a state law that has been passed.